Lotsa Growth, maybe from all the extra Protein?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
As some of you may know from my previous post, I was really impressed with my hair growth this month and I was trying to figure out what I did differently. I remembered that I started doing the Atkins diet about 6 weeks or so ago (the middle of June according to my previous post on 6/17/09 asking about protein and hair growth). Here is the link to that post: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=374867&highlight=

Then around that same time (just about a month ago) I posted about the Aphogee 2-minute drying my hair. I nursed it back to health with the help of you ladies telling me to use PLENTY of moisture. :yep: Here's the pic of my severely dry hair and link to that post on 6/26/09, next to the picture taken this week, 7/20/09. This is only within a month's time but I see a big difference:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=377095&highlight=

6/26/09 and 7/20/09. I see a red x on my screen but if you can't see the pic it's in the first attachment also.

Anyway, that wasn't even a month ago and I see a significant amount of growth from the time I started the diet and from the recent picture in my avatar. Anyway, my point is, now I really do believe that the high protein diet made the big difference. I started reading about women getting up to 2 inches a month on high protein diets and I never believed it but now I'm convinced.

Anyway, just wanted to share my protein/growth revelation and I hope this helps.

Here's the 3 month progress pics again. 4/1/09 (Pic on left) 7/20/09 (Pic on right). This pic is also in the second attachment.

Attachments

• Damage to Healthier.jpg
    Damage to Healthier.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 63
  • LHCFJuly Update.jpg
    LHCFJuly Update.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 53

mstar

Luxury bacon
Wow, that's great progress! I love how it thickened up. How many grams of protein were you eating daily?

tocktick

Nice growth. I do think protein could be linked to increased hair growth. When I ate 2 eggs for breakfast everyday, my hair used to grow quite quickly and it was stronger. During this period, I was a pesco-vegetarian (no red meat, poultry or pork), so fish used to make up the bulk of my protein.

eta: these were before the days of knowing anything about haircare. The most I did was wash, braid up and occasionally use eggs in my hair.

Last edited:

Lebiya

Excellent growth! ..How many grams are you taking per day and what source are you getting your protein from?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Thanks all! Sorry I took so long to respond. But I was doing Atkins and honstly, I wasn't tracking how much protein I was eating. I was only tracking how many carbs I was eating.

But this was my main diet:

Breakfast:
2 fried eggs with cheese, green peppers and onions (fried in butter)
2 breakfast pre-cooked sausages

Snack:
LOTS or those new Jack Links Turkey Jerky or Beef Steak Links
(I ate so many that I would get stomach upset from too much (protein someitmes)....They're REALLY good!

Lunch:
Lunch was iffy but was mostly something like:
a couple of pieces of luncmeat rolled up in a slice of cheese
or something like chicken salad with eggs, mayo, a teeny bit of relish and mustard

Dinner:
Sometimes chicken salad
or chicken breasts with veggies
or any kind of meat and veggies

Snacks:
low carb treats like ice cream, snack cakes etc.

Looking back at my diet, if I had to guess the easiest form of protein to ingest with the most amount I'd say the Jack Links beef/turkey jerky things. Or Slim Jims, whichever you have available.

I hope this helps!!

dyh080

I know that when I was consistent on a weight loss plan that involved protein shakes and lots of tablets my hair grew faster. I really wasn't that happy about it at that time because I had sister locs and was having it re-tightened at the salon which was expensive.

mariofmagdal

Congrats on your growth. I agree, increased protein increased my hair growth too.

I use Protein Drinks whey/soy blend as well as Chlorella and Spirulina.

remilaku

I just started my protein treatment yesterday. I bought a big big bucket. I had some yesterday and today.

*Muffin*

Well, I see now I've got to up my protein :grin:. I add almonds to the oatmeal I eat for breakfast, and I eat a lot of lean meats like turkey breast and chicken.

MagnoliaBelle

I need to increase my growth rate also. I'm already eating salmon daily for lunch. You've inspired me to add couple of boiled eggs! Great Growth!

Casarela

Yup proteins do help. My everyday diet consist of rice and beans, or white rice with chicken,salmon, kafta, merguez and ummm...eggs and other things.

My main problem I found out is eating boiled eggs...I luv it but dayum...my SO can't stand the secondary effects ..lol ********running to hide**********

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Yup proteins do help. My everyday diet consist of rice and beans, or white rice with chicken,salmon, kafta, merguez and ummm...eggs and other things.

My main problem I found out is eating boiled eggs...I luv it but dayum...my SO can't stand the secondary effects ..lol ********running to hide**********

That is TOOO funny!!! :lachen:Girl, you better go get you some of those Gas-X strips that just dissolve on your tongue. They do work and believe me your SO will be VERY happy you did!!! :yep:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
where do u buy the jack links beef/turkey jerk thing from?

I think Jack Links is new. I get mine from Target or Walmart. They come in a bag and they're about $3.50 each but it's a good size bag. Sometimes they're at the checkout counter. But if you can't find Jack Links you can get any kind of beef/turkey jerky like Slim Jims or something. Jack Links has been the tastiest ones I tried so far though, especially the turkey.

andromeda

Great progress! The health and thickness is very impressive. I'm supposed to get 70+ grams of a protein a day to build muscle, so if it also results in maximizing my hair growth, I'll be very happy. If it results in 2 in/per month, then I'd be over the moon. I usually have 2 poached egg whites for breakfast 5 days/week, maybe I'll look into these jack links. Thanks for sharing!

Muse

I am doing a protein treatment tonight.

WOW nice growth will be doing a protien treatment in another 3 weeks.

She doesn't mean applying protein to the hair she means ingesting it. Protein treatments won't increase growth but eating more will.

I eat 2 boiled eggs for breakfast everyday and protein shakes. I noticed since taking the protein shake my nails started to grow faster and STRONGER. I don't straighten my hair much (the last time was before I started drinking the shake) but I am sure when I finally do I will be pleasantly surprised!