"Love your neighbor"

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawberryQueen

I don't interpret love thy neighbor as literally like/love them. That's impossible. I take it as to respect them as human beings and treat them in the manner you wish to be treated.

As far as the parents, we all aren't blessed with good parents. You can never speak to your parents and can still honor them. If you have a problem with them, distance yourself but don't disrespect them.

live2bgr8

Hi Plenty! I think it is human nature to struggle with this concept. I know many times I do, too. Here's what 1 Corithians 13 says--

1 Corinthians 13:1-13...

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.​

I interpret this passage to say that love is a constant choice (ie a choice to be patient, a choice to forgive, a choice to be kind, a choice not to be selfish etc.) even more than an attitude or feeling. If you keep choosing to love, then one day it will also manifest as an attitude and feeling in your heart....

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Plenty, don't let this get you down. When you really think about it, it's not so much the person that we do not like or love...it's more about what they do or don't do. Or better to say, we do not like their character... the way they treat others, etc.

So before you accuse yourself of being unlovable, is it really the person or is it what he/she does or says?...

How many times have I said "I hate you" when really it was what you said or did to me all along?

Just say, Lord, I forgive them and then move on.

Hugs, angel ;)

live2bgr8

Plenty said:
I just thought about this. I hear other saying so and so is conceited. I don't like everybody. I believe these comments have manipulated me into lowering my standards. I don't know what conceited means. I don't want to be better than anyone. I just want to be myself, so why do I have to be around people who pick at me for being myself?

Tell me yor definition of a conceited person?

Someone who is so wrapped up in his-- or herself that they can not care for (or love) another person...

Keen

Plenty said:
I just thought about this. I hear other saying so and so is conceited. I don't like everybody. I believe these comments have manipulated me into lowering my standards. I don't know what conceited means. I don't want to be better than anyone. I just want to be myself, so why do I have to be around people who pick at me for being myself?

Tell me yor definition of a conceited person?

Wow Plenty, you have grown a lot. I remember you saying that you wanted to be better than your friends a while back (something about having better grades, jobs etc...). I'm glad you are making progress with your issues.

live2bgr8

It sounds like you're working it out... I'm glad that you're feeling better...
:) Shimmie is right: loving a person is different than loving their actions... :yep: We can only choose how to respond to the way they're acting.

Plenty said:
Okay, I see what you mean. My problem is that I'm thought of as unkind and conceited because I don't like being bother with certain people, especially ignorant people. And when I decide to distance myself from them, then that's when they start calling me names like conceited and stuck up. I believe they may be misinterpreting this bible verse as well.

I believe next time, I can so, "I love you as a person, however, I don't agree with your actions."

What do you think? That's not being conceited?

Hmmmm... Maybe I was conceited. I was incapable of loving another perosn. Maybe the subconciously pick this up. I used to believe that I was to hate another person for their actions, insted of just hating their actions as Shimmie just clarified.

In the future I will seperate the actions from the person. This will give me more spiritual peace as well.

Maybe they were right, maybe I was conceited all along, but I didn't think I wanted to better then them, I just didn't want to be bother with them or going places they went. That's all.

Okay, I'm good. I go exactly what I needed and now I feel great!

I love ya'll advice! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.