Lye to No Lye...Can I switch?

Wishin4BSL

The last time I had a no lye relaxer was at least 8 years ago and since then, I was wondering if my hair might have gotten used to lye. If you switch to no lye after years of using lye, do you risk underprocessing your hair more than normal? Even if it's a good brand like Mizani?

Niara

Wishin4BSL said:
The last time I had a no lye relaxer was at least 8 years ago and since then, I was wondering if my hair might have gotten used to lye. If you switch to no lye after years of using lye, do you risk underprocessing your hair more than normal? Even if it's a good brand like Mizani?

I would like to know also because I have been using Silk Elements Mild (Lye) and tonight I will be trying ORS relaxer which is No Lye. Pray for me...

Wishin4BSL

Same here Niara. I'm relaxing tonight too. *sending you a prayer* Pray for me too girl, because this is my first time self-relaxing!!!:eek:

sylver2

I switched a couple of times.
First I was Lye for years using Revlon.
Then switched to Creme of Nature-no lye, then switched to creme of Nature-Lye, then switched back to Creme of nature-no lye, then switched to Opitimum-No Lye and thats what I stuck with and been using.

lonei

I switched about a week ago!! I use to use ORS no-lye, and after hearing lye was better for your hair, I switched to motions lye about 2 years ago. That was the worse mistake ever, it underprocessed me badly causing my hair to mat and tangle badly... So anyway, my friend did it for me cos i didnt want to overlap, and it was so gentle, no scabs and bone straight hair which makes it much easier to handle. I have had no problems this week, its just been much easier to handle. When the lye grows out, I wont have to flat iron no more!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought about it so long, but it got to a point where i just had to do it as i couldnt handle it anymore, prayers DO work, I prayed HARD

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
thanks Lonei! I will try the ORS for my next texlax. This will be my final texlax before going strait to relaxing...or should I just relax outright? i still am not sure yet. My texlaxed hair looks natural. Any tips, Lonei?:ohwell:

HighlyFavored1

Wishin4BSL said:
Same here Niara. I'm relaxing tonight too. *sending you a prayer* Pray for me too girl, because this is my first time self-relaxing!!!:eek:

Niara and Wishin4BSL:

How did the switch and self relaxing go last night?

sweetascocoa

DD, i tried to texlax with ORS. I applied on my hair within 5 minutes and smoothed for 3 minutes and my hair is bone straight!!! so im not sure if ORS will texlax your hair. i have fine, thin hair btw

i hate lye because all the brands i tried gave me underprocessed hair

DDTexlaxed

toosexy1 said:
DD, i tried to texlax with ORS. I applied on my hair within 5 minutes and smoothed for 3 minutes and my hair is bone straight!!! so im not sure if ORS will texlax your hair. i have fine, thin hair btw

i hate lye because all the brands i tried gave me underprocessed hair

Thanks for the reply! I've decided to texlax one last time before going all the way. I figure that way I'll have more length and styling options. I'll def. be trying the ORS relaxer.:yep: I have thick relaxer resistant hair. This will be a new adventure.:lol:

lonei

DDtexlaxd said:
thanks Lonei! I will try the ORS for my next texlax. This will be my final texlax before going strait to relaxing...or should I just relax outright? i still am not sure yet. My texlaxed hair looks natural. Any tips, Lonei?:ohwell:

I used the Extra strength, and for me, I dont think that it can Texlax you, motions is the only relaxer that has done that to me, even though I left it in the recommended am,ount of time. ORS made me bone straight, you have to decide if thats what you want. I think that if you WANT a final texlax, then stick with what you use now, but if you want straight relaxed hair then perhaps ORS is the way to go now. However, as we know, what works for some doesnt always work for others so maybe you should do a poll, and ask people what the best relaxers are, then research the top 2 that suit your requirements before you decide.

ETA: I didnt see you reply DD b4 I wrote this!!

DDTexlaxed

lonei said:
I used the Extra strength, and for me, I dont think that it can Texlax you, motions is the only relaxer that has done that to me, even though I left it in the recommended am,ount of time. ORS made me bone straight, you have to decide if thats what you want. I think that if you WANT a final texlax, then stick with what you use now, but if you want straight relaxed hair then perhaps ORS is the way to go now. However, as we know, what works for some doesnt always work for others so maybe you should do a poll, and ask people what the best relaxers are, then research the top 2 that suit your requirements before you decide.

ETA: I didnt see you reply DD b4 I wrote this!!

I'm glad u wrote this because it stopped me from making a big mistake. I'm texlaxing one final time to get thru the summer. My hubby said that it will be better if i do so to keep the humidity from ruining my hair. Sometimes I think he frequents this site from what he says.:rolleyes: :yep: He's on point though, so I'm following this advice. He likes my hair relaxed, so he's very happy with this decision. if my plans work the way I'd like, I'll be fully relaxed in late October.

Faith

I was using lye and was severly underprocessed like Lonei was. At first I thought it would be ok...like a texturized style. BUT my hair was not having it. It was matted MOST of the time and tangled 99% of the time. I ended losing thickness from the breakage from trying to detangle. Needless to say I went to no lye (Phyto) and I saw an improvement immediately. I can now even finger comb with no tangles. That could not be done with the lye hair before.