Switching from No-Lye to Lye: 1,000 Questions :look:

JeterCrazed

Switching from No-Lye to Lye: 1,000 Questions

I have always been told that switching relaxers, even just the name brand-same chemical, is trauma to the hair. I don't see why if there's no over lap, but I don't want to ASSume and be bald :look: Could y'all please answer some o' these questions? I haven't used a lye relaxer since I was about 13.

1. Do I have to stretch more than 10 weeks?
  2. If I don't like it, do I have to stretch longer than 10 weeks to switch back to no-lye?
  3. Do application times change?
  4. Will a lye relaxer throw off protein-moisture balance?
  5. How long can I keep the relaxer after it's opened?
  6. Does lye burn more than no-lye?
  7. Should I still chelate after relaxing with lye?
  8. Is it more difficult to neutralize?
  9. Is it good for texlaxing?
  10. Is it true that hair is less dry with lye than no-lye?
  11. Is the scalp less dry with lye than no-lye?
  12. Does hair become more or less porous with lye than no-lye?
  13. Which brands are best?
  14. Which brands are worst?
  15. Is lye comparable to other no-lye no-base types like Lithium Hydroxide? (tcb)
  16. What is the top reason NOT to switch.
Thanks so much in advance. I have one no-lye relaxer left and I plan to switch next Spring. :)

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I can't answer all your questions because I have only had one application of a lye relaxer after a lifetime of no-lye, but I'll give you what I can.

My stylist used Mizani Medium/Normal and even though I based my scalp heavily with vaseline and the stylist based with whatever was included in the Mizani system, I was running to the sink to get that **** rinsed out of my head. It burnteded. It was on for 18 minutes and my new growth was more texlaxed than anything else which was not what I was going for.

I didn't have any breakage from switching from no lye to lye, but I will never use a lye relaxer again. I am not tenderheaded and Mizani had me cryin.

MsLi@512

Re: Switching from No-Lye to Lye: 1,000 Questions

I have always been told that switching relaxers, even just the name brand-same chemical, is trauma to the hair. I don't see why if there's no over lap, but I don't want to ASSume and be bald :look: Could y'all please answer some o' these questions? I haven't used a lye relaxer since I was about 13.

1. Do I have to stretch more than 10 weeks?
  2. If I don't like it, do I have to stretch longer than 10 weeks to switch back to no-lye?
  3. Do application times change?
  4. Will a lye relaxer throw off protein-moisture balance?
  5. How long can I keep the relaxer after it's opened?
  6. Does lye burn more than no-lye?
  7. Should I still chelate after relaxing with lye?
  8. Is it more difficult to neutralize?
  9. Is it good for texlaxing?
  10. Is it true that hair is less dry with lye than no-lye?
  11. Is the scalp less dry with lye than no-lye?
  12. Does hair become more or less porous with lye than no-lye?
  13. Which brands are best?
  14. Which brands are worst?
  15. Is lye comparable to other no-lye no-base types like Lithium Hydroxide? (tcb)
  16. What is the top reason NOT to switch.
Thanks so much in advance. I have one no-lye relaxer left and I plan to switch next Spring. :)

I heard that switching was not good for the hair either, but I have seen people switch between brands, lye and no lye and have no problems, others have severe shedding, breakage and what not, so I guess it just depends on your hair as an individual. Why do you want to switch up after all these years? And as far as overlap, there has to be some degree of overlap with every touch up. Even if it's very small, I mean or else you would have a ridge of virgin hair between two touch up applications. I don't think the application can be as precise as to have absolutely no overlap, but again, it's 4am and I could be sleepy and overthinking this thing. But will hang out and see what the experts have to say on this matter.

JeterCrazed

MsLi@512, I wanted to switch for a few reasons. I hear the calcium deposits cause dryness and breakage. It's much less waste because I don't have to mix. If I'm revamping my regimen, why not explore all aspects? I understand there is teeny overlap. That's why I have the concern, because I don't want my hair to break at that point.

bigbrowneyez

Do I have to stretch more than 10 weeks? I dont think you HAVE to, but u need enough new growth not to overlap
If I don't like it, do I have to stretch longer than 10 weeks to switch back to no-lye? Hmm, i wouldnt suggest switching back and forth. I switched to lye after 6 years of only no-lye and loved it.
Do application times change? I go to a salon, but not that i've noticed
Will a lye relaxer throw off protein-moisture balance? If anything, once switching to lye my hair was MUCH LESS dry
How long can I keep the relaxer after it's opened? No idea
Does lye burn more than no-lye? Yes, but work fast and you shouldn't have a problem (or get a stylist who listens when u first start to tingle)
Should I still chelate after relaxing with lye? I don't
Is it more difficult to neutralize? No idea
Is it good for texlaxing? I guess that depends on the brand
Is it true that hair is less dry with lye than no-lye? It was in my case
Is the scalp less dry with lye than no-lye? For me it was
Does hair become more or less porous with lye than no-lye? Dunno
Which brands are best? I use Affirm
Which brands are worst?
Is lye comparable to other no-lye no-base types like Lithium Hydroxide? (tcb) dunno
What is the top reason NOT to switch. I honestly loved the switch. My hair was less dry and I noticed a difference in health and manageability. I stretch about 13 weeks and my stylist does a good job of not letting me burn. So find a good one. The burning is the only downside, but like i said, that's preventable with proper application and neutralizing once you feel the tingle

beloved1bx

I used no-lye relaxers for years because i'm extremely tender-headed and when i had tried lye it would burn like mad. I even sometimes would burn with no-lye, but I think that had much more to do with the roughness of the stylist of the domincan salon I went to. I used a no-lye called Precise. This year I tried a new stylist in and she used Mizani Butter Blends Lye and my hair came out fine. I think she also ended up doing a corrective because i tried self relaxing a few weeks prior and it was like i didn't really do anything. I told her i was tenderheaded and didn't trust lye relaxers and because of that I think she was very careful and I didn't burn once! She did base my scalp beforehand, but i was really shocked b/c I wasn't expecting to relax my hair that day so i had probably been scratching my head that week.

My hair is pretty dry and I do have some porosity issues, which might be from the no-lye relaxers, but I haven't been using lye relaxers long enough to know if it'll make a big difference. Lye doesn't leave mineral deposits so i don't think you need to chelate unless you have hard water or swim.

demlew

JeterCrazed - I switched from no-lye to lye just over a year ago and I don't regret it at all! I used ORS no-lye for years and even though the overall result was good, my hair never retained moisture even though I chelated. I typically stretch for 8-10 weeks, but stretched for 13 before I switched to ORS lye. It was good, but seemed underprocessed sometimes. This last time, I tried Elasta QP SoyOyl lye and I don't recommend it at all. Some pieces of my hair won't curl the way they used to - like the bonds have been broken (Forgive me, I'm not a stylist - I don't know the technical name). I also had alot of flyaways. I'm going to stretch for as long as I can and then either go back to ORS lye but try super strength. Sorry for the ramble lol. I don't have answers to all of your questions, but I'll try...

Do I have to stretch more than 10 weeks? Stretch as long as you can as long as there's no severe shedding/breakage
If I don't like it, do I have to stretch longer than 10 weeks to switch back to no-lye? Same as above
Do application times change? It didn't change for me.
Will a lye relaxer throw off protein-moisture balance? I use less protein now. Light-medium treatments every 2 weeks.
How long can I keep the relaxer after it's opened? not sure
Does lye burn more than no-lye? Not in my experience. I don't burn because I base my scalp with whatever oil is nearby - coconut or olive.
Should I still chelate after relaxing with lye? Not necessary. It doesn't have the same calcium particles as no-lye.
Is it more difficult to neutralize? No.
Is it good for texlaxing? Not sure
Is it true that hair is less dry with lye than no-lye? Yes, in my experience.
Is the scalp less dry with lye than no-lye? Yes
Does hair become more or less porous with lye than no-lye? Less porous for me.
Which brands are best? Can't say - just don't use Elasta QP SoyOyl (I noticed Sally's has it marked down like it's being discontinued, but I can't find more info on that)
Which brands are worst? see above
Is lye comparable to other no-lye no-base types like Lithium Hydroxide? (tcb) not sure
What is the top reason NOT to switch. can't think of one

Overall, it's been a great experience for me. I base my scalp the night before and also the morning of, rinse out the relaxer, apply a protein treatment like Redken Fuel (?) -leaving it in for 5 mins, and then use a neutralizing shampoo. I don't get a rollerset or anything, so I usually wash it again with the neutralizing shampoo the next day and follow with a DC. My hair remained almost SL, but is now close to APL - more importantly it's much healthier. Good luck with your decision!

InBloom

In my new-growth
Do I have to stretch more than 10 weeks? Stretch long enough to have new growth, however long that is for YOU.

If I don't like it, do I have to stretch longer than 10 weeks to switch back to no-lye? Not sure about this one

Do application times change? Depends on how straight or less straight you want your hair

Will a lye relaxer throw off protein-moisture balance? I believe any chemical service throws hair out of whack slightly, just increase moisture an TLC

How long can I keep the relaxer after it's opened? I imagine until the expiration date on the container, stored in a cool, dry, dark place (?)

Does lye burn more than no-lye? Yep

Should I still chelate after relaxing with lye? I do, but only because I use silicones.

Is it more difficult to neutralize? Haven't noticed more difficulty

Is it good for texlaxing? Better for texlaxing than no-lye in my opinion

Is it true that hair is less dry with lye than no-lye? Yes, ABSOLUTELY

Is the scalp less dry with lye than no-lye? Yes

Does hair become more or less porous with lye than no-lye? I don't know

Which brands are best? I've only tried 2 brands of lye relaxers. I used Vitale and liked it, but was curious about Linange Shea Butter. I LOVE LINANGE.

Which brands are worst? I don't know. You may find some polls if you search that question.

Is lye comparable to other no-lye no-base types like Lithium Hydroxide? (tcb) I'm not sure I understand this question.

What is the top reason NOT to switch. I can't think of any reason NOT to switch.

I want to add that my experience with Linange is that my hair gets straighter vs. the Vitale brand I used. However, not as straight as when I used no-lye relaxers. It just is.

Also, I based my scalp but found that it NEVER even began to tingle when I was applying the Linange. It was wonderful.

I hope this helps some.

JeterCrazed

I'm definitely gonna switch. I'm scared of the burn because I burn with no-lye :ohwell: I really don't see any other downside, though. I plan to use Chi Deep Brilliance Mild. Affirm was a good no-lye relaxer, though. I have 9.5 weeks to decide that and possibly more if I can get myself to stretch til graduation in May. I hear Mizani Butter something is good, too. Gonna look at Lineage. I'm willing to shell out $100/year for 5-6 relaxers, so if anybody has any other suggestions on lye relaxers, please shoot even if they're pricey.

blessedandlucky

I just switched to mizani butter blends for color treated hair my last relaxer after years of using affirm and optimum choice relaxer after i moved away then back to the salon and affirm after i got i got highlights in june. I stretched for almost 14 weeks. I burned for the first time in over a decade, but I also had some patting that turned into scratching prior. Over the years, affirm definitely thinned me out. It was a slow and tricky process; I only noticed because I was looking at old pictures.

I was very pleased with mizani and will use it going forward. My hair is sooo much less dry and it left me with more body than I traditionally got with affirm. It is still straight though, I was afraid I'd come out texlaxed, which isn't my goal but I didn't.

Hope this helps! Good luck and keep us posted (with pics)!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

JeterCrazed

I actually switched. I tried Linange and well...I didnt really like it. The consistency was too thick to work and it didnt straighten as evenly as I'd hoped because of it. I did leave my hair much more moisturized.
Today i tried Mizani Butter Blends for Fine/Color. I am in love. I took a nap and dreamed I relaxed all my friends' hair with it. :look: The texlax was PERFECT. The consistency was easier and it's twice the product for less money than Linange(save abt $5). I wil post pics this week. Thank you all!!!

bebezazueta

I'm new to lye relaxers but here's my views on switching

Do I have to stretch more than 10 weeks?
I'm not sure but I stretched 12 weeks when I transitioned from no lye to lye in December.

If I don't like it, do I have to stretch longer than 10 weeks to switch back to no-lye?
I don't know. I plan on sticking with lye! My hair is straight but thick at the same time. I have no stuck to scalp hair when relaxed with lye

Do application times change?
Yea, with no lye it was easy to over process on my hair. I had to work fast. With lye, it takes longer for my hair to breakdown. I have a healthy hair stylist who relaxes my hair since I switched to lye & she is so careful not to overlap or over process but the time it takes to straighten is longer. That's why self relaxers who go by the suggested relaxer times are under processed.

Will a lye relaxer throw off protein-moisture balance?
It didn't for me, my hair holds moisture better now. I do a mid-step protein during relaxer process. & my first wash after I relax, I use joico k balm (GVP knockoff) as my protein treatment & airdry my hair & what? Hair thick & straight with tons of body.

How long can I keep the relaxer after it's opened?
I assume it has an expiration date.

Does lye burn more than no-lye?
I have a sensitive scalp. If I scratch they both burn. If I didn't scratch neither burned

Should I still chelate after relaxing with lye?
I use ORS Creamy aloe shampoo on that first wash after relaxer & I believe it's a neutralizing/clarifying/chelating shampoo. I always neutralize again at first wash to make sure hair pH is back to normal.

Is it more difficult to neutralize?
I'm not 100% sure

Is it good for texlaxing?
I think so due to it being a bit more gentle in straightening at least Mizani Butter Blends (my relaxer) does

Is it true that hair is less dry with lye than no-lye?
YES! When I was a no lye girl, I was like my hair isn't dry. I thought M&S twice a day was the norm. I moisturize maybe 2-3 times a week since I switched to lye.

Is the scalp less dry with lye than no-lye?
Yes it is. No lye had me with dry flaky scalp. Now my scalp seems healthier.

Does hair become more or less porous with lye than no-lye?
I'm not sure. Roux porosity control is part of my regimen. I DC with it once a month just in case.

Which brands are best?
Only used one so I can't really give an unbiased answer. Mizani Butter Blends

Which brands are worst?
I don't know

Is lye comparable to other no-lye no-base types like Lithium Hydroxide? (tcb)
I don't know

What is the top reason NOT to switch.
If your hair is currently in bad shape, breaking, etc. otherwise do a protein treatment prior to relaxing & go for it.

HTH!

JeterCrazed

[USER=246180]bebezazueta[/USER] said:
I'm so I'm so late. You already switched! I'm glad you like it!

So! I still want answers! LOL Thank you much! :grin:

ETA: and I did everything you said on the list. :giggle: Aphogee 2step a week prior, mid protein step, wash and neutralize again... All lat. :lol:

Sent from my Inspire HD using LHCF

Last edited:

PinkPeony

I stopped relaxing bc I couldn't get my hands on lye relaxers only no-lye.
My lye relaxed hair was less dry,silkier and less poofy then my no-lye relaxed hair.

JeterCrazed

[USER=11644]PinkPeony[/USER] said:
I stopped relaxing bc I couldn't get my hands on lye relaxers only no-lye.
My lye relaxed hair was less dry,silkier and less poofy then my no-lye relaxed hair.

What brand did u use?

Sent from my Inspire HD using LHCF

BadMamaJama

About 5 years ago I started going to a stylist. I had permed my hair with no lye and she of course used Mizani with lye. My hair didn't come out at all. As a matter of fact, my hair became the healthiest it had ever been. And I would get a perm once month. FF and now I'm relaxed after being natural. I know that lye is better for the hair, but since I'm trying to be my own stylist for everything, I just do not want to feel that lye burn. I just can't. I really feel that as long as you do not overlap, you should be fine.

janeemat

I have also been thinking about switching from no lye Affirm to lye Affirm. Thanks for all of the info in this thread.