Mad Men star Teyonah Parris Cried Over Her Natural Hair

almond eyes

@almond eyes

Weave to her ankles? Seriously?
Some people really go too far.

Yes, the weave was to her ankles. And I thought she was going to feel embarassed with all that weave and heavy make up.

And at first she was flicking and walking all over the place to get attention, but then she realised people were laughing at her. Even the women with weaves were laughing at her.

She realised no one was paying her good attention and she got up and left. We were at the same table.

Best,
Almond Eyes

CaraWalker

im so so so so glad she did not take a shucking and jiving "inclusive" attitude. she very well could have and i think a lot of us wouldnt have blamed her and chalked it up to trying to assimilate and further her career. she didnt, and that matters.

CaraWalker

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Sorry, I had to laugh at this. Because it's so true. There is so much WEAVE around here, even bypassing the big booties because they are covered in weave.

i remember when bet had that show college hill (back in the days before i completely stopped watching bet)... one season was in atlanta and i could not even watch it because the weave was SO OVERWHELMING. even through that short snippet you could tell how pervasive and over the top weave was there, it was like a culture. i never ended up watching that season.

Gr8ness83

I wasn't concerned about my hair texture when I bc'd I was concerned that I would look like a bot and that my head and face were too big for such short hair...lol

almond eyes

I wasn't concerned about my hair texture when I bc'd I was concerned that I would look like a bot and that my head and face were too big for such short hair...lol

Yes, I can understand that the BC is terrifying because of the labels one puts on short haired black women as lesbian or a femme boy. That's very sad and even we feel this way. But there is no way to over come a fear than face it square in the eye. This is the shortest my hair has ever been, but I know that it will grow quickly and the twa phase won't last and for me I won't let anyone get in the way of my growing healthy hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

atlien11

i remember when bet had that show college hill (back in the days before i completely stopped watching bet)... one season was in atlanta and i could not even watch it because the weave was SO OVERWHELMING. even through that short snippet you could tell how pervasive and over the top weave was there, it was like a culture. i never ended up watching that season.

bunnycolvin Sitting on an airplane headed home to atlanta reading this thread. This literally made me laugh out loud. People are looking at me now *slumps in seat*.

NaturallyATLPCH You already know what it is!! Hit up Bottle Bar on a Sunday night and it's rampant. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with weave... it's just a little extra here. Like 8 packs of hair on your head extra.

Last edited:

ellebelle88

I definitely cried many times while trying to go natural. So many days I didn't feel "pretty" or felt that I looked decent at all. I've been completely natural for 9 months now and some days I still cry because my hair won't act right.

almond eyes

I definitely cried many times while trying to go natural. So many days I didn't feel "pretty" or felt that I looked decent at all. I've been completely natural for 9 months now and some days I still cry because my hair won't act right.

Since I have transitioned so many times. I know how you feel. But I think with each transition I have learned what works and what doesn't work. It definetely takes time to learn your hair. For me, I know already from past experiences what styles work for my hair texture and I stick to that. Right now it is super short. I just want to say grow already dammit grow. But it has forced me to take a more holistic approach towards my skin care and food habits.

Best,
Almond Eyes