*Maintaining Flexi Rod/Straw Sets**

Ebony Majesty

I see ladies on here that can maintain this style for a week, maybe even more. However it only lasts 1 day for me :(

How do you do it ladies?

Don't know about the straw sets but I plan to flexi rod alot this summer and I intended to dry-set my hair and keep it in overnight. I hear that the flexi-rods are comfortable to sleep in. A member here, I can't remember her name, used only 7 rods to set her whole head of hair and it came out lovely!

I wear flexirod sets all the time. And mine can last about 10 days. I just sleep with a bonnet on and in the morning I fluff it up and spray mosturizer on my hair. Are you using a setting lotion?

Yeah I had the same question too last week. At first, I was trying to re-"flex" them...yeah that was not gonna work every night:nono:. Then, I read here somewhere wher you flip your head upside down and put the bonnet on. It looks crazy as all get out..but it worked! I did add some leftover mousse though the first night:perplexed and it helped hold some of the curls longer. Now to find a good mousse without too much junk in it:sad:

I wear flexirod sets all the time. And mine can last about 10 days. I just sleep with a bonnet on and in the morning I fluff it up and spray mosturizer on my hair. Are you using a setting lotion?

How long have you been transitioning? I can never just sleep with a bonnet with any set I have....it makes me sick! LOL

I can never keep a set longer than a day too :ohwell: I think it has something to do with the fact that I don't use hard setting lotion. I think next time I flexi I will do that and see what happens :yep:

i sleep with my face almost in the pillow:lachen: so my hair isnt touching the pillow seriously... using ,a bonnet dsnt work for me

I'm wearing a flexi rod set right now and maintaining it from day to day is sort of hit or miss for me. I'm on day 3 right now, and the curls are falling loosely (I kind of like it better this way) but don't have that *crisp* springy look.

One thing I MUST do is pin up the curls that frame my face and ears... kind of like pinning it into a high puff on the top of my head. Usually the curls are pretty tight the first day, so pinning them this way helps stretch them a little so they fall looser the next day. It also keeps them out of the way while I sleep so that even if I sleep on my sides, the curls won't get crushed. Sleeping on my back is a bit trickier, but can work depending on how high on top of my head I pin the puff. In the morning, I just remove the pins, apply some serum to my fingertips and gently run my fingers through the curls to revive them and then go! This technique works pretty well for me for about 3-4 days, but I'm interesting in learning anything to improve it! :yep: HTH someone!

ETA: I sleep on a satin pillowcase, so I sometimes omit the bonnet/scarf and still get the same results.

My spiral sets last 7 days, until my next wash day, even through my 3 to 4 workouts per week. At night, I moisturize with a litlle extra virgin coconut oil and water mixture, pincurl and then cover with a satin bonnet. In the morning, I just shake out the curls.

I also pincurl at night sometimes, but only if I want to keep the really curly, springy look. It works, but generally I'm too lazy to do this anyway, so I opt for my shorter pinpuff :lachen:method.

Wear a bonnet and make sure you wear a shower cap when you shower. You might also need a heavier product to set the hair with when you intially do it. A straw set should last a long time.

i sleep with my face almost in the pillow:lachen: so my hair isnt touching the pillow seriously... using ,a bonnet dsnt work for me

I heard that when you sleep on your stomach, the gravity pulls on the skin on your face which can lead to early sagging, which is why I try to sleep on my back.

My spiral sets last 7 days, until my next wash day, even through my 3 to 4 workouts per week.

Really? I wish my sets would last through a workout. After a single workout I'm drenched in sweat and my hair looks like I just stood under the shower and I have no choice but to wash the sweat out cuz it dries my hair something terrible!

I heard that when you sleep on your stomach, the gravity pulls on the skin on your face which can lead to early sagging, which is why I try to sleep on my back.

Um... you can't escape gravity. Whether you sleep on your belly or your back, your body (and face) is affected by its pull. Direction doesn't matter.

I maintain these kinds of sets (I use Curlformers) with the little blue plastic/magnetic rollers. I roll my hair vertically in the direction of the curl, wrapping the curl around the curler from the botom to the top. Keeps me perfectly curly for days!

How long have you been transitioning? I can never just sleep with a bonnet with any set I have....it makes me sick! LOL

I've been transitioning for about 15 months. I think it's the setting lotion I use because my bonnet comes off and my sets still last. My last set lasted about a week and a half before it started looking crazy.

I'm so glad this forum was started! I love wearing flexirods but I can never sleep right with them. Even when i tried the bonnet thing my curls would still be flat on one side. And im definitely not taking the time to pincurls every little curl...

I'm so glad this forum was started! I love wearing flexirods but I can never sleep right with them. Even when i tried the bonnet thing my curls would still be flat on one side. And im definitely not taking the time to pincurls every little curl...

I pin curl at bedtime, but not one curl at a time...that would take way to much time. I simply place my hand under the bottom of a section of curls, push them upward toward my scalp (*think* Slinky toy), pin that section with 2 to 3 hair pins, then move to the next section..I usually do 4 sections.

Really? I wish my sets would last through a workout. After a single workout I'm drenched in sweat and my hair looks like I just stood under the shower and I have no choice but to wash the sweat out cuz it dries my hair something terrible!

I'm drenched, too, but since my hair is pinned down, the sweat just kinda drains off my scalp. My hair gets sweaty too, of course, but it's dry by morning. I wash just once per week, with no ill effects.

I put my satin bonnet on upside down so my curls are sitting on top of my head, and call it a night. I've kept my set anywhere from 10-14 days.

So far I can only go about 5-6 days. I used to hate them (thought they were a waste of time) but I realized I have to use other moisturizing products that won't make my curls fall.

Back