Maintaining your hair in extensions (braids, twists, etc.)

nyeredzi

How do you guys take care of your real hair while it's in extensions / added hair braids or twists? It seems from an internet search that many oil their scalps. Some use special non-shampoo rinses (because shampoo can get trapped in braids?), some oil their scalps. I might be able to figure out the scalp care, but what about the rest of the length of hair? Some sites say moisturize your hair / the extensions, but how do you do this? It's been so long since I wore extensions, especially the individuals kind, that I've forgotten. Or actually, I don't think I did anything at all when I wore them before. But maybe I should do something.

I wonder if it differs, too, on how long you keep them in. I don't think I'd ever keep mine in for more than 1 month, probably only 3 weeks at a time for twists and a month if I end up doing braids. But I know a lot of people wear theirs longer.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
My scalp would have gotten angry at me if I didn't cleanse it weekly when I was protective styling. :lol: When I was in weave, I washed with diluted shampoo in a squeeze bottle to get to my scalp. Did the same with diluted conditioner.

When I I was in Marley twists, I used this Cantu ACV Root rinse and it was life changing. Cleansed and my scalp felt rejuvenated.

I oiled my scalp and used spray moisturizer on the length.

nyeredzi

My scalp would have gotten angry at me if I didn't cleanse it weekly when I was protective styling. :lol: When I was in weave, I washed with diluted shampoo in a squeeze bottle to get to my scalp. Did the same with diluted conditioner.

When I I was in Marley twists, I used this Cantu ACV Root rinse and it was life changing. Cleansed and my scalp felt rejuvenated.

I oiled my scalp and used spray moisturizer on the length.
I saw this mentioned somewhere, so that's now 2 x someone has recommended it. I'll check that out