Major breakage today: please help me!

CarLiTa

:nono: hi... :sad: today wasn't a good hair day at all. I've been on the site for close to 3 weeks now, and i developed a regimen and everything and have been following it. But today, my hair broke a LOT! :sad: ok, this is what happened. I washed my hair on Sunday and I did the Aphogee protein conditioner, and i followed the instructions: I got under the dryer and everything. The only thing though is that it doesnt tell u how long to stay underneath the drier. So, as soon as i thought it was dry, i washed it out, then I put the regular conditioner in, and suddenly, my sister needed to shower. We share a bathroom, so i quickly showered and rinsed the conditioner out. MAYBE that was the problem: maybe I didnt leave the regular conditioner in LONG ENOUGH. Yesterday, my hair was pretty much fine, cuz it was partly wet and had a lot of oil moisturizer on it. Yesterday afternoon, I bought the Surge Plus 14 and i used in on my scalp. That was fine. This morning, I used Surge again and put my hair in a loose bun and went to school.
On my way home, I kinda took my hair out and OUT CAME THIS HUGE CLUMP OF HAIR! i'm telling you, I almost had a heart attack! I haven't such shedding/breakage in a long time. For the past 8-9 months, i've been an excessive compulsive trimmer, trimming my hair every month and i swear the thought went to my head to get home today, wash my hair, and trim it myself. But i already got a 1"inch trim 3 weeks ago and I wanna grow out my hair.
I just DONT UNDERSTAND WHY IT BROKE SO MUCH TODAY. I counted the hairs and OMG i had like almost 30 hair pieces in the little clump. I'm feeling really down right now! Does anyone know what did it and how i can correct it???

Also, a lot of you mention putting vaseline or more oil on ur ends. How do you do that? I'm not asking what type of products you use, but how you manage to put enough oil to REALLY saturate those ends? I'm always afraid to rub my ends with anything because hairs come out! I try to clump the ends with the oil in my palm, but maybe it doesn't work. The shaft of my hair is always more moisturized than the ends. Today my whole hair is kinda brittle. HELP ME PLEASE! :sad:

Thanks!

MomofThreeBoys

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS deep condition after a hardcore protein treatment. Aphogee will leave your hard and more susceptible to breakage if you do not properly condition afterwards.

You didn't mention detangling. Did you detangle after coming out of the shower? Many people on this board detangle with condition or with lots of product. Waiting to detangle after your hair is dry is asking for trouble.

Carlita, the great thing about hair is that it can and will grow back. 30 hairs is not that bad. You live and learn and move on. It'll be okay!:)

I would suggest conditioner washing and doing a deep condition ASAP.

Good luck!

controlFreak

Im no expert but it could be that u didnt detangle properly, and all those hairs were just tangled. It could also be that u need 2 put more moisture in your hair, as u have been using a lot of protein. When was your last touch up? It could be your hair is shedding and because you didnt detangle properly, it all came out in a clump.

CarLiTa

Hi, my last touch up was on March 17. I'm only 2.5 weeks post relaxer and I have a bit of new growth, but not significantly long enough to cause breakage. Maybe it is the protein. I didnt have time to detangle in the shower on Sunday, but I finger combed while I rinsed it out and I detangled when I got out of the shower and I only had a few stray hairs, which was no big deal. Maybe it is that the protein didn't get washed out enough. I do moisture my hair a lot since I joined this website. I don't do anything to my scalp, except for the Surge now, but I use Motions Oil Moisturizer on my hair. I tried the Vaseline, but I don't know how to really coat the ends with it without pulling hairs off. The hair is really SHEDDING, it's more breakage than anything else. The first two weeks of the regimen worked really well, nearly no hairs at all, then I realized that I needed a protein treatment, so I did that, and today SOMETHING seems to be going wrong. I moisturized some more when I got home from school today, and I think I will do a conditioner wash tomorrow after I exercise.

I still have a question:

a lot of you mention putting vaseline or more oil on ur ends. How do you do that? I'm not asking what type of products you use, but how you manage to put enough oil to REALLY saturate those ends? I'm always afraid to rub my ends with anything because hairs come out! I try to clump the ends with the oil in my palm, but maybe it doesn't work.

BAILEYSCREAM

natalied said:
I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS deep condition after a hardcore protein treatment. Aphogee will leave your hard and more susceptible to breakage if you do not properly condition afterwards.

You didn't mention detangling. Did you detangle after coming out of the shower? Many people on this board detangle with condition or with lots of product. Waiting to detangle after your hair is dry is asking for trouble.

Carlita, the great thing about hair is that it can and will grow back. 30 hairs is not that bad. You live and learn and move on. It'll be okay!:)

Good luck!

Totally agree with that.

Also, when you have the Aphogee in your hair, the hair must not be manipulated in any way. So, just apply and then sit under the dryer until the Aphogee has hardedned on your hair (it should feel like a rock). Then you're supposed to gently rinse out the hair (no combs at this point until you have conditioned the hair).:)

For the vaseline, posner on ends, it's best to put it on while your hair is totally saturated, so after you've applied your leave-in conditioner for a baggie. Take a look at the baggie threads, there are many. You can also apply Elasta QP Mango butter to the ends if you're wearing a bun as the vaseline is very greasy.

Take care.:)

Last edited:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
What I noticed with my Aphrogee treatment is after I'm done under the dryer and it's hard as "rock", I go straight to the shower and just the water run over my head for 9-10 minutes. I make sure it is thourghly rinsed out. Even if someone is bangin' on my bathroom door, there's no way I'm getting out...or else. :whip: :lol:

Afterwards I condition with the Aphrogee conditioner that it comes with (smells like lemon :love:) and that's it. Now this weekend, I'll be doing this treatment again (I'm 6 weeks post relaxer). And I will try deep conditioning it as was mentioned earlier. :)

Angelicus

Carlita, I would like to say first that you are a beautiful woman; your hair is long and beautiful. I wish my hair was as long as yours when I started my haircare journey.

I know we may have different types of hair but I wouldn't even consider doing a hardcore protein treatment like Aphogee 2.5 weeks after I had a relaxer. I do agree with the other ladies that say that either you did not wash it out completely, or you didn't deep condition long enough [or with the right product].

I never do a hardcore protein treatment, instead I do many light protein conditioning treatments once a week (Miss Key 10 en 1, NTM Original, mayo+egg, yogurt etc).

I also am on the "v-challenge." you can do a search on the V-challenge to find out how many ladies do it. After I conditioner wash my hair I apply a leave-in. Then I slather a lot of grease on the last 4-5 inches of my hair. I then twist my hair in a wet bun and secure with pins {good day hair pin}. This style really protects my ends and keeps my hands out my hair. It also keeps my co-workers' hands out of my hair {unless they want a handfull of grease}

BAILEYSCREAM

anky said:
Carlita, I would like to say first that you are a beautiful woman; your hair is long and beautiful. I wish my hair was as long as yours when I started my haircare journey.

I know we may have different types of hair but I wouldn't even consider doing a hardcore protein treatment like Aphogee 2.5 weeks after I had a relaxer. I do agree with the other ladies that say that either you did not wash it out completely, or you didn't deep condition long enough [or with the right product].

I never do a hardcore protein treatment, instead I do many light protein conditioning treatments once a week (Miss Key 10 en 1, NTM Original, mayo+egg, yogurt etc).

I also am on the "v-challenge." you can do a search on the V-challenge to find out how many ladies do it. After I conditioner wash my hair I apply a leave-in. Then I slather a lot of grease on the last 4-5 inches of my hair. I then twist my hair in a wet bun and secure with pins {good day hair pin}. This style really protects my ends and keeps my hands out my hair. It also keeps my co-workers' hands out of my hair {unless they want a handfull of grease}

Ok, so I did a search of the "v-challenge". It's pretty much like the baggie challenge. Good info Anky:)

I Double-dare YOU to take the 7 day V-challenge!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=15780&highlight=v-challenge

CarLiTa

Wow, thanks for the compliment and all the great advice you've all given me. Tonight, when I get home from school, i'm doing a conditioner wash, and I'll keep in mind about the hardcore protein. I dont like the smell anway. Thanks!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
All I can say is keep doing what you've been doing to your hair because IT'S BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL!!!! :grin: From those pics in your album, you hair is long and healthy!!! :yep:

Healthb4Length

natalied said:

Good luck!

what she said!:D