Major Breakage with Rollerset - Help Would Be Much Appreciated

cornell34

I am pretty new to LHCF and the rollersetting thing...I tried one on Sunday and I experienced major breakage (small short hairs), like "I must be going through some thangs" type breakage - it was sorta scary. It is still breaking this morning, but not as much as right after I took my hair out of the curlers.

I washed and deep-conditioned, applied Neutrogena silk touch leave-in and proclaim shine gloss, and I used very very diluted lottabody in a spray bottle to keep my hair wet. I sat under the pibbs for a really long time (1.5 hours) though at pretty high heat (I have a Pibbs 508, the one with only a timer)

What do you all suggest? I am really clueless, but I really want to be a DIYer.

Background: APL, relaxed 4a/b hair, (I am 7 weeks post, but I usually go 12 weeks, trying to go 16 weeks)

Hey Girlie!

It sounds like your hair is dry, brittle, and in desperate need of some protein. When is that last time you had a protein treatment or used protein based products?

Don't fret. I too had the SAME problem when I started rollersetting. My hair was not healthy... at all. Plus it was so short I could barely roll my hair on the rollers. :cry4:

Fragile hair + lots of manipulation (assuming you used a fine tooth comb for smoothing each roller) :nono2: can = DISASTER. Trust me!

Last edited:
:hiya:

Hmmm.... the problem is usually with the products but the leave in and very diluted lottabody seems ok... I don't know much about Proclaim gloss (is it a heat protectant?)

Did you comb your hair after you took out the rollers?
Was your hair very dry when you were done drying (did it feel TOO dry?)?
How tight do you rollerset? Your hair is at its weakest when wet...

Maybe you need some protein.... Hmmm, my first ever rollerset attempt was a disaster, broken hairs EVERYWHERE but I learned from my mistake. Wrong products and too much heat while drying.

What type of rollers do you use? What i realised when i used to rollerset is that the clips that i was using the secure the rollers maybe cutting my hair. Because you sometimes you may put it in at the wrong angle so you have to take it out and put it in again, and it may be damaging the hair strand. That's one possibility. The other one maybe that your hair is not moisturised enough.

Thank you guys for replying so quickly. I really appreciate it.

melissa-bee: I used magnetic rollers, but putting in the clips give me fits so that may be a problem as well.

MummysGirl: No, proclaim is not a heat protectant. I was looking for chi silk infusion, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I will have to keep searching.
I combed my hair with a wide tooth comb, and then a rattail comb...saw some hairs when I did that. I do them pretty tight, but when I put the clips in they were kinda wobbly...do I need to make it sorta loose when I roll up the hair as well? I feel like I will reduce the heat for sure - how hot do you get your dryer?

Reecie: I haven't had a protein treatment in forever, but I would always go to a stylist to get one...I am sorta afraid to do an aphrogee treatment because of how hard the hair gets. Do you think a light protein like the Aphrogee 2 minute or AO GPB (I think that's what it is called) would be ok?

I would wash your hair out again. You shouldn't use a shine gloss before rollersetting, only after your hair is dry and you take out the rollersets. My guess is that its what's caused the breakage.

If you rollerset your hair again try deep conditioning, adding a leave-in conditioner and the only other thing you should put on your hair is water to keep it from drying.

If it was kinda wobbly, then that's fine :)

I use endpapers to keep the moisture in my ends, I airdry my rollersets 95% of the time so I'd really advise using endpapers if you're using heat :yep:

I'd say use medium heat not the highest setting. It can get boring sitting under the dryer so you can let it dry till 80% and airdry the rest of the way while getting other things done.

Thank you guys for replying so quickly. I really appreciate it.

MummysGirl: No, proclaim is not a heat protectant. I was looking for chi silk infusion, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I will have to keep searching.
I combed my hair with a wide tooth comb, and then a rattail comb...saw some hairs when I did that. I do them pretty tight, but when I put the clips in they were kinda wobbly...do I need to make it sorta loose when I roll up the hair as well? I feel like I will reduce the heat for sure - how hot do you get your dryer?

It may be a combination of dry hair and rolling the rollers too tight. When I first started, my hair broke off in the crown because I rolled the rollers too tight, anchored them and I was rough with the clips.

Your hair should be very moisturized and strong before attempting to rollerset.

Do you notice broken hairs when you comb regularly? If so, I would try some deep conditioners and then move on to a protein treatment if you still see broken hairs.

Take your time and be gently with your hair and then continue the wet sets.

I'm glad I kept with it, it's one of the best things I've done for my hair.

If your hair is dry and brittle I'd say you definately need a protein treatment. Don't be scared of Aphogee - I use it and it's fine! Just remember to use some moisture afterwards. If you're still not sure go for Motions CPR or Nexxus Emergencee. They will provide a good dose of protein without the hardness issue.

After the protein I'd say try the rollerset again without the shine serum. Turn down the heat on your Pibbs as this may also be an issue.

Well done on trying out your first roller set anyway! Each experience is just something to add to the memory bank. You'll get the hang of it. Have you tried pincurling btw? Hair come out very curly and you use no heat and barely any product. Rollersetting isn't for everyone.

Thanks MummysGirl, I will definitely turn down the heat and use endpapers

One more question...I have heard 2 different schools of thought on how to use endpapers - do you put them on your ends, then roll OR do you put them on your rollers and then roll?? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Thanks again!

It may have been the shine gloss plus the lottabody. I think you only need a setting lotion. I don't care for lottabody I use Proclaim alcohol free setting foam. I was also going to ask about small hair breakage when you groom regularly. Does this happen.

It may be a combination of dry hair and rolling the rollers too tight. When I first started, my hair broke off in the crown because I rolled the rollers too tight, anchored them and I was rough with the clips.

Your hair should be very moisturized and strong before attempting to rollerset.

Do you notice broken hairs when you comb regularly? If so, I would try some deep conditioners and then move on to a protein treatment if you still see broken hairs.

Take your time and be gently with your hair and then continue the wet sets.

I'm glad I kept with it, it's one of the best things I've done for my hair.

Thanks for the reply ceebee. I do notice broken hairs even when I comb regularly, but not as much as I did last night, lol. I will definitely know the rollersets will be good for me when I get my technique right and when I get my hair in tip top shape!

Thanks again!

If your hair is dry and brittle I'd say you definately need a protein treatment. Don't be scared of Aphogee - I use it and it's fine! Just remember to use some moisture afterwards. If you're still not sure go for Motions CPR or Nexxus Emergencee. They will provide a good dose of protein without the hardness issue.

After the protein I'd say try the rollerset again without the shine serum. Turn down the heat on your Pibbs as this may also be an issue.

Well done on trying out your first roller set anyway! Each experience is just something to add to the memory bank. You'll get the hang of it. Have you tried pincurling btw? Hair come out very curly and you use no heat and barely any product. Rollersetting isn't for everyone.

Thanks for the encouragement, ShakiraShakira, I was really beating myself up for the poor performance, but I know its the first rollerset. I am definietly gonna turn the Pibbs down and get rid of the shine serum, seems like everyone has noticed that to be a problem.

I have tried pincurling one time. It didn't look to good, but I told myself I would try again. I used no product either. Could you suggest a product for pincurling? My mother-in-law does them and it looks so nice, but her hair is very different from mine (she has naturally loose-curled hair).

Thanks again!

It may have been the shine gloss plus the lottabody. I think you only need a setting lotion. I don't care for lottabody I use Proclaim alcohol free setting foam. I was also going to ask about small hair breakage when you groom regularly. Does this happen.

Sorry for the slow reply on my part, Carrie A, the breakage happens, but not so much. I heard that some people like the setting lotion over the setting foam. Does it make your hair hard?? I noticed my hair was quite "crunchy", lol, after my rollerset even though my spray bottle had 1 part lottabody to seemed like 7 parts water.

Sorry for the slow reply on my part, Carrie A, the breakage happens, but not so much. I heard that some people like the setting lotion over the setting foam. Does it make your hair hard?? I noticed my hair was quite "crunchy", lol, after my rollerset even though my spray bottle had 1 part lottabody to seemed like 7 parts water.

I used lottabody once in college and my hair was crunch city. It's soft now that I switched to foam. The foam I've been using is alcohol free also and that helps. You probably need to work on moisturizing your hair in general and adding a little protein to strengthen it in general if you are having breakage.

When I was relaxed and not doing so well with my hair care I had little hairs too. One light protein that helped was Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin spray. You can use it occasionally if you don't want to do a full treatment. It's light and works well.

The first time I tried pincurling it came out a HAM but with practice you'll get the hang of it. Could you ask the MIL for a tutorial or maybe check out one of the YouTube tutorials? It takes a while to get the hang of the technique but it can work.

I did my pincurls on my relaxed hair and it looked great (even if I say so myself)! I use water and a leave in in a spray bottle and add a little bit of oil and some shine serum when I take the curls out. I usually leave them in over night. I use Akin Intensive Moisure Leave In because I'm using cone free products, but I think it may be expensive to get hold of in the US? I used to leave Neutrogena Triple Moisture so that should work. Be careful if you use bobby pins though - they can break the hair. Try and use silver clips.

Oh and if the setting lotion you use has alcohol in throw it away! Alcohol will dry out your hair and make it break - this happened to me with rollersetting and pincurling. And it'll make your hair hard and full of tangles, which will make it more prone to breakage. Try just using a leave in.

Thanks Shakira Shakira, I will definitely stay away from the alcohol setting lotions, not sure if lottabody has alcohol in it but I will check when I get home. And I will work on the pincurling too!

I used lottabody once in college and my hair was crunch city. It's soft now that I switched to foam. The foam I've been using is alcohol free also and that helps. You probably need to work on moisturizing your hair in general and adding a little protein to strengthen it in general if you are having breakage.

When I was relaxed and not doing so well with my hair care I had little hairs too. One light protein that helped was Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin spray. You can use it occasionally if you don't want to do a full treatment. It's light and works well.

Thanks Carrie A, I will definitely work on getting a good balance of protein and moisture in my hair, that seems to be one of the keys.

Thank you!

Thanks BostonMaria - I had a feeling the shine gloss may not have been good to use, I appreciate it.

You're welcome! I've been rollersetting my own hair since 1985 and I've learned that less is more. I try to make sure my hair has enough conditioner, I detangle, and only use water if my hair starts to dry out. Any type of setting lotion just makes my hair crunchy. I know some people like setting lotion, but my hair doesn't like it.

Good luck!

You're welcome! I've been rollersetting my own hair since 1985 and I've learned that less is more. I try to make sure my hair has enough conditioner, I detangle, and only use water if my hair starts to dry out. Any type of setting lotion just makes my hair crunchy. I know some people like setting lotion, but my hair doesn't like it.

Good luck!

Boston Maria. Do you do anything with the roots or do you wrap after?

ETA I just pm'ed you.

Last edited:
I hope you don't let this experience put you off rollersetting OP. The good thing is it should only take a few good sessions of moisture and protein DC's to get you on the right track and strengthen your hair. You'll hopefully find rollersetting more straightforward and less stressful.

Back