MAJOR HAIR SETBACK... ITS PRACTICALLY ALL GONE!

bravenewgirl87

Last week i got my hair braided because it was breaking, and i need to stop manipulating it. I don't really think my hair does well with co-washing. It's always been on a once a week/two weeks routine. The hair was thinning and the ends were really brittle. I did a little protein treatment with my K-pak b/f i went to the hair dresser ( few days earlier). I got cornrows with extensions, but the braidest is young, i doubt she knows something about natural hair. She braided so tight that I had a headache for days! After 4 days, screw the $70 i waisted, i was in pain and had hair bumps. I took them out, and.... GONE. All Gone. I;m not used to this happening. My hair is hard and and tangles and the ends are seethough. I'm trying to go natural, but i am seriously contemplating a relaxer. Right now i did a wash, a protein with k-pak, and a deep conditioning with ORS. I can see the ends breaking, but i don't know if its b/c i'm transitioning and i should just let it happen? Also, my hair feel tight with new growth, resilient and looks shorter, is this just shrinkage b/c all of the new growth? My head hurts so much, like i just had a lobatomy.I'm so sad, i just want to cry... what do i do?

Forbidden

I'm no expert, however, it sounds like to me that you have WAY too much protein and not enough moisture. You should've stopped that child in her tracks and let her know on the first braid that it was too tight, no need to spare her feelings at the expense of your $70. I'm sure you can turn this around, but I know how it can be discouraging.

seraphinelle

I agree with the above poster.

I use to do that, where I'd spare the feelings. Not anymore though.

I know it can be discouraging, but you'll get through this.

At this point, I don't do braids, my sides are getting to thin.

bravenewgirl87

Thats what i am starting to think too. I mean, i just did a strand test (although i'm not so sure if i am good at it.) The breakage is coming from the shaft, not the ends, neccessarily and they snap right away. I have a crap-load of shedding too, like maybe a little tooo much shedding. How can i tell the difference between protein and moisture? I know when my hair is dry, so i tried baggie, but that was a mess...
I wanna do something to it ( low manipulation, like twists, etc,) b/c a wash and rollerset get expensive $30-$40. But i am afraid my hair might now be long enough ( chin length). I am going to relax on the washing tho... all that washing doesn't do well with me. I think its an internal thing too, b/c i don't sleep much and i am not drinking water as much. I try to eat fish, greens, etc., but i'm still binging on sugars ( when you're young you have a fast metabolism so you think you can do that). Is this right?

brickhouse

I am sorry to hear about your hair. You will need to do deeply moisturizing conditioning treatment and keep your hair moisturized everyday. You may want to alternate between moisturizing and protein conditioners because protein adds strength. You may want to try the baggie method. I haven't used it in years but it was great for breakage and moisture. Hang in there and it will get better.

asha

I'm sorry this has happened to you. What is your current hair care routine and what products do you use?

FunkyMunky

Warning!!!

You have to be careful when going to amateur hair braiders. A few years ago when I was APL I went to a young girl to get micro braids. I wore them for 2 months total and I went back 2 times for section touchups over the 2 month period. This chick was fast. She could do a whole head of micros in 5 hours and it cost me $70. Anyways, I went to my beautician thinking I was going to get a perm and with all of my new growth my hair would be beautiful. Instead, my hair was a disaster!!! The girl did not attach the weave to my hair properly and this caused my hair to pop off at the root and mid braid due to tangling. I knew it was her because my hair was healthy and growing before that and I have had many a micro braids in my time. I had to get a haircut and my hair was thin in some areas.

In FL, braiders are required to take a hair braiding course and be licensed even if they are doing hair from home. The course teaches them proper attachment techniques and braid care.

Just be careful. I think she attached the weave to your hair improperly.

shunta

brickhouse said:
I am sorry to hear about your hair. You will need to do deeply moisturizing conditioning treatment and keep your hair moisturized everyday. You may want to alternate between moisturizing and protein conditioners because protein adds strength. You may want to try the baggie method. I haven't used it in years but it was great for breakage and moisture. Hang in there and it will get better.
Agreed. Hope you get everything under control. Just hang in there.:)

niva

I am sorry to hear about your setback.

I agree that you are doing too much protein for now. Moisture, moisture, baggie and leave your hair alone as much as possible.

P.S. Castor oil those edges!

Hope this helps, Niva

NeeSee

Princesslala said:
I'm no expert, however, it sounds like to me that you have WAY too much protein and not enough moisture.

That's what it sounds like to me too. I know the ORS is moisturizing but to me it is a mild protein. Maybe you should find a better moisturizing conditioner.

ThursdayGirl

I'm really sorry to hear this. I would say, however don't relax right now. You need to get your hair back into better shape.

I agree with the other posters. It sounds like you need some moisture. I would go for some conditioners like cholestorol conditioner, Nexxus humectress (or the Suave knock-off for it), Elasta QP DPR-11, Elucence moisture balancing conditioner or Kenra Moisturizing conditioner. Keracare Humecto is another alternative. My hair likes glycerin, so sometimes I add curl activator or alternatively some honey to my conditioner. You might also look for conditioners for curly or natural hair (they are usually pretty good for adding moisture). Another thing I sometimes do is make a mask. Take an avocado, half a banana, a cup of yogurt, a tsp or tbsp of oil (olive, avocado, coconut...whatever your hair likes), and some honey and a little coconut milk. Blend it and put it in your hair. Sit with it in for an hour or so.

You need to use anything with moisture and little or no protein. There's a post around here about the types of protein (you esp. want to stay away from anything that has keratin in it right now). I want to say the post was by Supergirl, but I may be wrong. Anyways... I would keep adding moisture to my hair gets some elasticity in it and it feels good an moisturized (moisture is not the same as oil, moisture first then seal with oil).

You put a relaxer on it now, I think you'll be asking for more breakage, besides, I thought you were trying to go natural? You'll just prolong your transition if you relax now. Perhaps you can get a trim/cut to get rid of some of the damage though and make your ends look thicker?

Last edited:

alexei

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I wear braids regularly and this is still something I worry about.
Take the advice of these lovely ladies and moisturize.
After that I strongly suggest learning to do it yourself.
I am not an excellent braider in that I can't get that fresh out of the shop look.
So after someone braids it once to my satisfaction, I touch it up as needed for the next 2 months.

Another technique to avoid frizzies if you self braid: Plait your hair into small sections then briad the hair extension over it. This usually lasts longer, looks neater, and protects the hair from any extension trauma (At least for me).

A good everyday moisturizer for me is Long-Aid activator gel sold @ walgreens and Walmart for about $6. Applying it 2x per week is usually enough to keep my hair moisturized.
I am approaching armpit length using these techniques. :)
HTH & Godspeed on your haircare journey. :D

bravenewgirl87

yea, i went to Natural Trendsetters and this new girl did it...(Not a natural either). I try to do the baggie over the whole head with jojoba oil, amla oil, ORS Soy Headdressing &/or CD Healthy Hair Butter, but it makes such a smelly mess. I also use twisty rollers, talk about your stress. Ugh! Its not all gone but i have a bald patch at my temples, one is EXTREME!

I am sticking to my shampoo and conditioner mainstay-->Oscar Blandi Hair Crema Line instead of trying Mane N' Tail.

I use ORS Replenishing everytime i was, which can be every 3-4 days.

I also use CD HHB as a Leave-in and for moisture

I use Jojoba Oil Carrot oil Amla Oil to seal...

Ugh, im so frustrated. Right now i should have to getting closer to SL so i could do a BC by August, but it looks like it won't be happening...

The one good thing this girl did was she washed it with elucence and that was pretty good. She must have a license b/c she works in a salon, but she braids hair, not takes care of it... im 20, and she is probably about my age, and i doubt she knows anything about of hair needs moisture or protein

Last edited:

CoCoGirl821

ThursdayGirl said:
I'm really sorry to hear this. I would say, however don't relax right now. You need to get your hair back into better shape.

I agree with the other posters. It sounds like you need some moisture. I would go for some conditioners like cholestorol conditioner, Nexxus humectress (or the Suave knock-off for it), Elasta QP DPR-11, Elucence moisture balancing conditioner or Kenra Moisturizing conditioner. Keracare Humecto is another alternative. My hair likes glycerin, so sometimes I add curl activator or alternatively some honey to my conditioner. You might also look for conditioners for curly or natural hair (they are usually pretty good for adding moisture). Another thing I sometimes do is make a mask. Take an avocado, half a banana, a cup of yogurt, a tsp or tbsp of oil (olive, avocado, coconut...whatever your hair likes), and some honey and a little coconut milk. Blend it and put it in your hair. Sit with it in for an hour or so.

You need to use anything with moisture and little or no protein. There's a post around here about the types of protein (you esp. want to stay away from anything that has keratin in it right now). I want to say the post was by Supergirl, but I may be wrong. Anyways... I would keep adding moisture to my hair gets some elasticity in it and it feels good an moisturized (moisture is not the same as oil, moisture first then seal with oil).

You put a relaxer on it now, I think you'll be asking for more breakage, besides, I thought you were trying to go natural? You'll just prolong your transition if you relax now. Perhaps you can get a trim/cut to get rid of some of the damage though and make your ends look thicker?

I use DPR 11 and it is the truth. Very mositurizing and has NO PROTEIN!!! I use Nexxus Emergencee and DC with DPR11...it works wonders.

hopeful

((((Hugs))))) I am so sorry that this happened to you. I agree with all of the other ladies about the moisture. I love the ORS pak too but only use it every week or two, never every wash because if I do my hair will get really dry and brittle. If I were you I would not even consider relaxing, it will probably break even more.

If you really want to go natural I would recommend that you give your hair a good deep moisturizing treatment, maybe do a hot oil treatment with Olive oil, put your hair in twists or braids all over, spritz with S-Curl every day, give yourself a good trim, and wear a wig for the next month or two, take down the twists every week or two, condition well, and re-twist. Cover nightly with a shower cap or just a silk scarf. I have been natural for 10 months and at about 7 months my hair got really tired of me manipulating it so much. After two to three months of wearing a wig and rarely manipulating my hair, it is so soft and manageble and I retained a lot of growth. Try to be patient. In a few months of lots of moisture/conditioning/very little manipulation you will likely see a big change in your hair.

And remember that when you are transitioning the two textures will fight each other and that they desire different things. I found that my natural hair begged for moisture, whereas my relaxed hair didn't seem to need as much. I say focus on the natural hair's needs first if you plan to go natural. Good luck. And don't feel bad because most of us have setbacks and frustrations you just have to learn your lessons, forgive yourself for any mistakes, stay positive and keep moving forward.

ThursdayGirl

bravenewgirl87 said:
yea, i went to Natural Trendsetters and this new girl did it...(Not a natural either). I try to do the baggie over the whole head with jojoba oil, amla oil, ORS Soy Headdressing &/or CD Healthy Hair Butter, but it makes such a smelly mess. I also use twisty rollers, talk about your stress. Ugh! Its not all gone but i have a bald patch at my temples, one is EXTREME!

I am sticking to my shampoo and conditioner mainstay-->Oscar Blandi Hair Crema Line instead of trying Mane N' Tail.

I use ORS Replenishing everytime i was, which can be every 3-4 days.

I also use CD HHB as a Leave-in and for moisture

I use Jojoba Oil Carrot oil Amla Oil to seal...

Ugh, im so frustrated. Right now i should have to getting closer to SL so i could do a BC by August, but it looks like it won't be happening...

The one good thing this girl did was she washed it with elucence and that was pretty good. She must have a license b/c she works in a salon, but she braids hair, not takes care of it... im 20, and she is probably about my age, and i doubt she knows anything about of hair needs moisture or protein

Not necessarily. It depends upon the salon. Im many states you don't have to have a license to do natural hair because there are no harsh chemicals involved.