Male Natural's VS Female Natural's

BriDa5242

Ok I just wanted an opinion , when my DH had longer hair , he bascially washed it once a month with a bar of soap :wallbash:(I almost fainted when he told me this ) , used any conditioner he can find that was in his reach, picked it out and called it a day . His hair was MBL, thick, full and healthy ...He witnesses all the protective styling, wash and go , low munipulation and co washing I do and asked why is it that a majority of men who have natural hair dont put as much work into their hair as women do and get the same (or better in some cases) progress with length and retention?

My answer was most women have an appearance that they want to have that is feminine and men tend to just want it done and just leave it alone not caring too much about protecting it ...I seem to get the "it is what it is" attitude from them....This is just my opinion , wanted to know what people thought

ms.blue

The reason i believe guys hair grow fast is that they leave their hair alone and pretty much just do the basics. We "women" wash, moisturizes, seal with oils, co-wash and protective style our hair to death and sometimes wonder why our hair doesn't grow as fast. I noticed women here with the simpliest reggies hair grows the fastest. Maybe we should all adopted that reggie.

BriDa5242

I agree when I was "clueless" about my hair and my hair was breaking off and never grew past my neck , I would walk around with my dh and people would praise him about HIS hair and then just look at me like um ...you shirt looks nice. lol!!! ( Im glad I can laugh about this now)

Cheleigh

I think there have been several convos about this on the board.

While it is true that folks with the simplest regimens (regardless of gender) often have the best hair retention, it's also been discussed that men have more testosterone in their bodies, which encourages faster growing, thicker hair in general. Boys generally have longer thicker eyelashes than girls, for instance, but men also have more facial and body hair than women. :look:

Crystalicequeen123

Hmm this is a good point OP. :yep:

I think it really does have to do with the fact that we women do MORE to our hair than men do. Men don't really "Style" their hair much. Women usually want their hair in a style of some sort before walking out the door.

It could just be that we manipulate our hair more and so our hair doesn't retain as MUCH length as some men.

But now if you were to ask me who's hair is probably healthier..... :look:

Tiye

I think it's simplicity not the testosterone that is key. Look at Indian women for example (well the ones who donate hair). They don't do a lot to it and they grow enough to supply much of the rest of the world who are a lot more complicated in their routines. And little girls easily grow lots of hair if their mamas just wash and braid it every few weeks. It's when we get into wanting to experiment with the myriad of different products and treatments and techniques available ... that retaining length becomes challenging.

Besides there is plenty of soap being sold as "sulfate free" shampoo and shampoo bars. I don't like soap in my hair myself but many people use it and it works fine. And just about everyone here can prolly agree there's not a whole lot of difference between different conditioners so OP's hubby's regimen makes sense.

BriDa5242

While it is true that folks with the simplest regimens (regardless of gender) often have the best hair retention, it's also been discussed that men have more testosterone in their bodies, which encourages faster growing, thicker hair in general. Boys generally have longer thicker eyelashes than girls, for instance, but men also have more facial and body hair than women. :look:

Thank you my dh had said this as well , I ALWAYS wondered about this but It makes since because these are survival traits that were embedded in humans :grin:. OMG!!!!its hard to keep up with all these threads sometimes :drunk:

SignatureBeauty

Mu DH does the same to his hair, he will use any type of bar soap and Grease or Murrays Pomade, and that is all he will use and his hair grows so darn fast, he don't even wash it all the time, not even once a week, that is jusy men and he also has the Longest, darkest Eyelashes top and bottom, when he works in the yard and get all sweaty, those eyelashes are really showing!! my DD always says she just want to put mascara on them LOL!! and that she is so Jealous!!

Giselle685

The reason i believe guys hair grow fast is that they leave their hair alone and pretty much just do the basics. We "women" wash, moisturizes, seal with oils, co-wash and protective style our hair to death and sometimes wonder why our hair doesn't grow as fast. I noticed women here with the simpliest reggies hair grows the fastest. Maybe we should all adopted that reggie.

This was the first thing I noticed with all people with long hair. They don't fiddle with it so much!

However, also a woman's body is very complicated. If men had menstrual cycles, they might have a different story.

nikolite

Actually, estrogen is what promotes longer hair growth on the scalp. Which is why women actually do tend to have longer hair biologically and longer growth phases. This is also why pregnant women usually get a boost in hair growth because of the increased estrogen and progesterone in their systems.

Testosterone does produce thicker hair but only on the body (face, chest, back, legs, arms). They turn the vellus hairs that women and children typically have into thick, dark terminal hairs that make them masculine. Scalp hair is different from body hair though--they are affected by different hormones. Testosterone is more likely to produce thinning scalp hair and balding for many men.

I think natural men grow nice hair because they leave their hair alone and they wear in styles that protect it and keep it fixed for a while, not styles that are meant to make them look "cute." Longhairdontcare clearly realized that a while ago...

Last edited:

BriDa5242

Actually, estrogen is what promotes longer hair growth on the scalp. Which is why women actually do tend to have longer hair biologically and longer growth phases. This is also why pregnant women usually get a boost in hair growth because of the increased estrogen and progesterone in their systems.

Testosterone does produce thicker hair but only on the body (face, chest, back, legs, arms). They turn the vellus hairs that women and children typically have into thick, dark terminal hairs that make them masculine. Scalp hair is different from body hair though--they are affected by different hormones. Testosterone is more likely to produce thinning scalp hair and balding for many men.

I think natural men grow nice hair because they leave their hair alone and they wear in styles that protect it and keep it fixed for a while, not styles that are meant to make them look "cute." Longhairdontcare clearly realized that a while ago...

yessssss you hit the nail on the head! thank you . (going to follow a guy around with a notepad)