Marriage-It's a Blessing!

Nice & Wavy

Hi ladies,

Many of you have asked me to start a thread on marriage with some tips on how to have a blessed marriage, being a good wife, etc. Being that my husband and I give marriage training, I can give you some ideas as to what you can do and how it can work:

1st - As women, we must first understand our mates. Learning to Communicate with our husbands is one of the hardest things we will experience in our marriage (for some of us, even with great communication, we still have problems with this topic). Women want to talk....they like to talk about everything. Men, they'd rather not. Men have a totally different makeup than women, and deal with issues differently. It's not that they don't like to talk, they just feel that when they do, they are misunderstood (sometimes they can't get across what they want to say, so they rather not say then sound silly) Women are more emotional...we think with our feelings; our hearts are caught up in our relationship. When our husbands don't respond to our needs like we need him to, we lose it. Now, you now I'm right, right ladies? We can go from 0 to 60 in no time flat:spinning:

Men think rationally. It's not that they are cold-hearted or don't love you, they are just different. Once we get to the point that we understand their needs, and their makeup as men (who God created them to be), I promise you that you will find your husband becoming more open, gentle, loving and especially easy to talk to, about everything.

The one thing I found out was that learning to communicate with my husband was not hard. We both like to talk. Actually, my husband talks more than I do :lol: . But, what I found out was that sometimes when we disagreed, we talked at each other, not to each other and that became a problem. Disagreements are always going to be in a marriage because you have two different personalities coming together, from different backgrounds, brought up completly different...and the two come together to become "ONE". That's a task only God our Father can work out. That's why "A three cord strand is not easily broken." It's not that it 'Can't' be broken, but it's not easily broken as long as you have the two people seeking out God to meet their needs as husband and wife and inviting God into their marriage; their conversations, their joys, sorrows, pain and their love through prayer. We need God in our marriages and it makes for better communication. I find that the closer you are with the Lord (praying and having open communication with him, the better your relationship will be with your mate. (example: Oneness with God, equals oneness with your mate)

Communication is the key. You can't expect your husband to be like you. He's not going to...no matter what you try and what you do. So, in order to bring peace and joy into your marriage, you must first learn to communicate. Like I said before it's not an easy task, but you can do it with the help of the Lord. God is good and His mercy endures forever, great is His Faithfulness!

There is more to this than what I wrote, but you would have to take the course in order to get the full and complete understanding of this. However, ask God to give you revelation about your marriage...He will not hesitate to do so, guarranteed!!!

Will await to hear from all you ladies who would like for me to continue with the next topic.

Blessings...:rosebud:

Nice & Wavy

Praise the Lord! I'm so happy that you ladies are blessed with this thread. For the single ladies who may not be married yet, take it all in...you will need it when the Lord blesses you with your mate.

The second topic I would like to discuss is on "How to Resolve Conflict". I will be sharing a little more on this topic than the previous one, because it covers a larger area. It will be a bit more reading, so I'll have to get on this asap, ok ladies?

God Bless you.:angel:

andreab

Hi.

Thanks Nice and Wavy. I am to the point in my relationship were marriage is the next step. My SO and I have done very well so far working on better communication.

My sister is talking about getting married to her boyfriend of 5 years ago whom she just got back together with 2 months ago. We had a very heated converstation when I told her to be careful and get to know each other again, take your time, and work on communication. I didn't say it exactly like this; I was a bit more tackful. I was disapponited after talking with her because she beleives that as long as she does "everthing right under God the marriage will be perfect". I try to tell her it takes work, prayer and communication. Anyway she missed the ponit and got very defensive.

Marriage is an issue right now for me and my sister. Thank you for any advice you or any of the other ladies can offer. Are there any books that you would recommend for us all to read and then discuss?

Nice & Wavy

andreab said:
Hi.

Thanks Nice and Wavy. I am to the point in my relationship were marriage is the next step. My SO and I have done very well so far working on better communication.

My sister is talking about getting married to her boyfriend of 5 years ago whom she just got back together with 2 months ago. We had a very heated converstation when I told her to be careful and get to know each other again, take your time, and work on communication. I didn't say it exactly like this; I was a bit more tackful. I was disapponited after talking with her because she beleives that as long as she does "everthing right under God the marriage will be perfect". I try to tell her it takes work, prayer and communication. Anyway she missed the ponit and got very defensive.

Marriage is an issue right now for me and my sister. Thank you for any advice you or any of the other ladies can offer. Are there any books that you would recommend for us all to read and then discuss?

Hi Andreab,

Thanks for responding to my thread. It's good to know that you and your SO are communicating. That's the first step to a healthy and happy marriage. I wish you all of God's blessings!

Your sister would really have to sit down and ask the Lord what "HE" would want her to do in her relationship. Sometimes, people can't see past where they are...they only know where they want to be and that can become a problem for them later on. Talking with your sister is a good thing, even if it seems she may not be receiving your wisdom right now, sooner or later she will remember the things that you have said to her, so my advise to you is to stay prayerful for her...she is going to need it.

The one thing that I've learned and still am learning is that being married is not an easy thing. However, as children of God, we have an upper hand than most because we can hear from Him by His Holy Spirit on what to do and what not to do. That's why remaining prayerful in your marriage is important (and especially before you get married). Don't wait until there is a problem to pray...pray when everything is going well, because satan walks around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. He doesn't want Godly marriages....he knows its the greatest institution on earth and he also knows that when the two of you come in agreement, his plans don't come to fruition. So, he tries to cause distraction by causing conflicts and miscommunication and arguments and the like. When we have been praying, the Lord will reveal to us the enemies tactics before hand (revelation knowledge) and be able to discern the situation and not allow our feelings to dictate over the situation...we will learn to respond to our mate rather than react.

You and your sister have a special bond....it goes deeper than you think. Love her, pray for her and with her...speak life over her situation and her decisions...she will thank you for it later on, I promise!

There are many books on marriage, but I know that the Word of God is the best book to learn from because there is nothing but TRUTH in it! There is two books that I can suggest to you and it's called: "Stike the Original Match" by Chuck Swindoll and "Communication: Key to your Marriage" by H. Norman Wright.

Praying God's blessings for you and your sister.

Be blessed!

planodiva

Nice and Wavy,

As a single young adult still seeking myself before I am ready for a mate, I thank you for taking the time to share with us. I feel I can toss the new book I brought yesterday titled "How to Love a Black Man" :)

Nice & Wavy

planodiva said:
Nice and Wavy,

As a single young adult still seeking myself before I am ready for a mate, I thank you for taking the time to share with us. I feel I can toss the new book I brought yesterday titled "How to Love a Black Man" :)

Hi Planodiva,

Thanks for responding. It's good to know that there are young adult ladies who are finding out who they are before sharing their lives with someone else. That's such a wise move. You are special because God made you special. Don't ever forget that, ok?

I'm so glad to be able to share my experiences with you and with others. That's what we are on this forum for...to help one another.

Learning how to love a black man, or any man is something that the Lord will give...no human can show us how to love because, love is God and it comes from Him. When we learn to love Him, then and only then can we love others.

Find out all you can about the One who created you and set you apart for His good pleasure. He is able to make ALL GRACE abound for you, so that you can have all that you desire. He said that He will give us the desires of our heart. However, it must be according to His Will or He won't give it. He may allow it to happen, but if its not from Him, it won't be good!

Blessings...:angel:

Nice & Wavy

By the way, if any of you ladies want to share, but don't feel comfortable sharing openly and would like to ask some questions, please feel free to pm me!

Blessings

sithembile

Nice & wavy

Could you give us some advice on how to handle money in marriage - eg joint accounts, if the woman makes more than the man, do we have to agree on how much to spend on luxuries (shoes, hairproducts for me!) etc
Thanks

Nice & Wavy

sithembile said:
Nice & wavy

Could you give us some advice on how to handle money in marriage - eg joint accounts, if the woman makes more than the man, do we have to agree on how much to spend on luxuries (shoes, hairproducts for me!) etc
Thanks

Hi sithembile,
Thanks for writing.

Money. Always a touchy subject, but one we can overcome if we just follow some basic principles.

First, you should always discuss money before you get married (if at all possible) because it can become a problem in a marriage after the honeymoon is over. Because, before we were married we were used to spending our money our way, now it's no longer me and mine, but we, and ours. You have to come up with a plan, no matter who's making the most money. Basically, God has set up a system in the home that should be followed to a tee: God first, then the husband, then the wife, then the children and then everyone else. Anytime this is out of order, things can and will become catastrophic in the marriage.

The husband should be the one to take care of the needs of the wife and family (if at all possible). If that is not the case and the wife is making more money for the family, the husband and wife should sit down together and discuss what needs are to be met first...and after everything is taken cared of, there should then be a discussion of what you would like to buy for yourselves (shoes, makeup, etc.) Tolietries and items for the house like (groceries, laundry detergents, clothes for the children and for you both for work, etc.) are things that should be considered needs that are to be met. All the other things you like to buy because you want them, you both have to take into consideration savings for the future. If you don't have to have it now, maybe it can be a good idea to compromise and let your husband have what he wants this month, and then next month you get what you want.

That always works for my husband and I. This month we needed to get new windows. We knew that would be an expensive project so we didn't go all out for Christmas and I didn't buy the things I wanted that I saw on sale (that was hard) and we knew that the windows were the important need at this time. My husband is good at saving money more than me, and I make more than he does. What I do is allow him to be the manager over the money and then he gives me the money to pay the mortgage, bills etc. I use our checking account to pay the bills. Now mind you, I still have my money that I would like to spend on things that I feel I may need, but if it's not a necessitie, I don't get it. I'm always thinking about "US", because its not a me thing, but an "us" thing.

Now, if one of you is better at handling the money than the other, discuss that and allow the one who will manage better to manage it, but with you, and vice versa. Always doing things together will create a bond between you two, no matter what the circumstances are.

I pray all the best for you and I hope that all goes well. And don't forget, always, always give God the first fruits of your labor! You will never go wrong with that!!!

Blessings...:angel:

Nubianrose

lol Nice and Wavy, I think she meant a new post with a different topic. I'm enjoying listening to you as well...I'm single right now (only 18 yrs old) just taking all of this info in. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your wise words :)

planodiva

I think she meant a newsletter-something you send out to us on a regular basis full of informative topics. You receive them by email from organizations or associations you are a part of ( I work in media)

Nice & Wavy

Nubianrose said:
lol Nice and Wavy, I think she meant a new post with a different topic. I'm enjoying listening to you as well...I'm single right now (only 18 yrs old) just taking all of this info in. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your wise words :)

Hi Nubianrose,
LOL, thanks for clearing that up for me. I will start a new topic.

So glad you are taking in all the information. God has a plan for your life and it's a good one!!!

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it very much.

Blessings to you.

Nice & Wavy

planodiva said:
I think she meant a newsletter-something you send out to us on a regular basis full of informative topics. You receive them by email from organizations or associations you are a part of ( I work in media)

Hi planodiva,

Wow, really? That sounds good. I would have never thought of that. I have to think about it and then put something together. I appreciate you explaining that to me. You ladies are the best. I'm so happy that you are blessed with this topic.

Blessings...:lol:

star

Thanks for sharing and I know God will lead you in some topics. I would like to hear something from a man's point of view also. In other words let your husband give you something to post for the women. Between the both of you this will very good info.:)

Nice & Wavy

star said:
Thanks for sharing and I know God will lead you in some topics. I would like to hear something from a man's point of view also. In other words let your husband give you something to post for the women. Between the both of you this will very good info.:)

Hi Star,

That is an excellent idea. I'm going to talk to him about it tonite. Knowing my husband, he'll have lots of topics to talk about and I'm sure some that you wives can share with your mate.

Blessings to you, always....:)