Maxiglide: Yay or Nay?

Maxiglide - Yay or Nay?

• Yay! I love it!

Votes: 90 29.9%
  • Nay! It's terrible and I wish I never used it.

Votes: 39 13.0%
  • I've never used a Maxiglide flat iron, but I want to.

Votes: 114 37.9%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 58 19.3%

• Total voters
ok why did i see them demo'ing this in the mall at one of those carts yesterday? made pretty curls.

bludacious said:
I won't say yay or nay! I've had two and my reasons for selling it was an individual decision. I didn't like the bulkiness of the maxiglide. I have small hands so it was too big for me to manage. I love my corioliss though! If it wasn't so bulky, I'm sure I would have liked the maxiglide.

Here are tips on using the Maxiglide:

Tips for Using Maxiglide / Minglide Maxius Hair Straightener

Never Use on Wet Hair!

Brush hair thoroughly especially each section of the hair prior to using Maxiglide on the hair.

Section the hair about 1 1/2" inches thick and about 3 1/2" inches wide for best results.

The steam selection should never be used within 3 inches of the scalp.

No need to squeeze tightly like ordinary irons. Maxiglide's ceramic plates and the detangling pins glide through the hair and does most of the work for you.

Maxiglide manufacturers recommend that you use a lower temperature setting (1 - 4) if your hair is fine or chemically treated, and (5 -10) if you have strong, coarse hair.

Never touch the hot plates!

I just bought one today at Bed Bath and Beyond ($63.00 with the 20% coupon :grin:). I can't wait to try it based on all the reviews!! I'm about to go wash and airdry so I can try it out!!

I just bought one today at Bed Bath and Beyond ($63.00 with the 20% coupon :grin:). I can't wait to try it based on all the reviews!! I'm about to go wash and airdry so I can try it out!!
I hope you love it with all that pretty hair of yours!

:whyme: I wanted to LOVE this maxiglide soooo bad :sad:. I don't....I got up extra early this morning to flatiron my airdry and maybe its because it was storming outside and EXTRA humid, but my hair came out a HAM. I ended up pinning it up for work. I was bummed. I'm thinking of taking it back:nono:

:whyme: I wanted to LOVE this maxiglide soooo bad :sad:. I don't....I got up extra early this morning to flatiron my airdry and maybe its because it was storming outside and EXTRA humid, but my hair came out a HAM. I ended up pinning it up for work. I was bummed. I'm thinking of taking it back:nono:

awww dang it. Well, maybe on a less humid day you could try it.

My hair never came out right whenever I tried to airdry first then flat ironed. It was a HAM..lol.

I loooooooooooooooove it. I used it about a month ago and my hair was sooooooooooooooooo silky. I didn't take pictures :-( I need to start taking pics. I have 4a/b natural hair and it looked like I had a relaxer (very straight and shiny). The next time I'll be using it is January (for my graduation) so i'll take pics then. I love it. I only have to slide it down my hair once and it's straight. With other irons I have to keep going over the same section over and over and over. I use the plate with the pins in it. My hair doesn't get caught on the pins. Comb it through first and I don't think there will be much of a problem.

Exactly. Typically I find if people complain about it ripping out their hair they are pressing the plates together vs. holding them together and slowly and deliberately sliding down their hair.

You can't press it together like flat irons without teeth (spells disaster). Simply hold it together with well detangled hair in between (I use a rattail comb to detangle first) then slide it down and VOILA straight hair.

Your hair is looking so pretty:)

With the teeth..u are not suppose to press together real hard. Make sure the plates don't actually touch your hair and the teeth will glide right thru with no hard pressing. Its not like a regular flat iron where u have to press both plates together. The heat and steam actually straghten your hair moreso then the iron itself. Thats why I love it, the plates never touch my hair like all the other irons.

It made my hair feel dry and crispy when I tried it. Other ceramic irons never made my hair feel like that.

I used the maxiglide several times, and even when I didn't clamp it ripped my hair out and made it look too dry. I like my FHI much better.

I've had the Maxiglide MP for a few weeks. I regret taking so long to get one. I love it! My hair is no longer dry and I don't find those small broken ends after I flat iron any more. I can also go a few days longer after flat ironing with the Maxiglide than I can with other flat irons. The steam feature is fantastic.

I did not like it for my hair at all. I put on a lot of heat protector and I think I did more damage than good with the MG. It got my hair straight but to me it was as straight as it would have been if I used a blow dryer with a comb. I took it back to BB&B and got my money back. I hear the CHI and FHI are good but I think I will just stick with my rollersets. The Maxiglide did not help me with my puffy roots at all but maybe I wasnt using it right. But as soon as I saw breakage ( even after I made sure to detangle my hair) and saw that when I tried the steam thingy it made my hair look dry as hell I said to hell with this and drove 20 mins back to the store to get my full refund. I just dont think that me and flat irons mix too well :nono:.

Love mine....and selling my FHI now. It worked just as the infomercial described with no blowdrying required first. Pics in my fotki. FHI left me with puffy roots even after blow drying first.

I voted NAY! My SO bought me one this past X-MAS after hearing me always whine about wanting one....I did not like it all and returned it. It was bulky and I couldn't..couldn't get a grip on that thang to save my poor-left-handed life. I was completely natural when I tried it....who knows, maybe it'll work better now that I'm texlaxed..the strange thing about this haircare thing is...sometimes a product don't work at the beginning of the journey and then when you re-visit it...IT WORKS!!
So....would I try it again, you ask??
Only, if I can talk the SO into buying me another one..:lachen:

I say nay but i disagree with the poll option its not terrible and i dont wish that i never used it but it didnt get my hair straight like i would have liked it to.

i wanna try this when i saw the infomercial i said to myself that flat iron really does wonders but im really afraid of all that heat

I said I don't know when I do....I like it but I don't love it, I don't love but I dont hate it, it's alright...the roots get straight, no problem, it doesn't get my ends super straight like I thought it would. If I had to give it 0-5 stars, 5 being the best...I'd give it a 2 1/2. I'm natural w/4b twa and I use the miniglide and I don't like the way it leaves my hair dry and my ends still kinky. Maybe those w/fine 4ab, 4a, 3c on up may love it but I don't think it's all that. My chi once again does better...it really doesn't matter though since I'm going to relax again...which tops any thermal tool imho. so much for me being happy nappy.

As for me, the verdict is still out on the MG. I like it and I think it's "ok" but I must be too darn heavyhanded cuz no matter how much I tell myself not to press too hard on the plates with the teeth, I seem to always end up doing it anyway.

So last time I used it and I used the teeth, I freaked out at the hairs that came out on the plates and could barely finish the job.

Plus, I've always felt like it looks dryer than when my stylist presses it with her FHI. Then again, it could be my stylists' products and/or technique (or a combo of those things) that add to the shininess of my hair when she presses it.

I wanna buy an FHI sooo bad but I figure I should give my MG 1 or 2 more tries before doing so. I'm just not up to "practicing" with it 1 or 2 more times in this hot and humid summer weather. If I want straight hair I want straight hair and I don't wanna "practice and hope that it comes out right"...I'd almost rather pay my stylist than risk wasting the time.

Anyways I know I'm babbling but I HOPE to give it another try soon...wish me luck!

ETA: I thought it would be important to mention that I'm also on the lookout for a much better BLOWDRYER right now. I find that when my stylist presses my hair, before she even touches it with the flat iron, my hair is already hanging REALLY straight from the blow dryer. My current dryer does not get my hair that straight, so I figure that's part of the problem when I do my own hair. So I really wanna invest in a better dryer before I totally discount the MG...

Last edited:
ETA: I thought it would be important to mention that I'm also on the lookout for a much better BLOWDRYER right now. I find that when my stylist presses my hair, before she even touches it with the flat iron, my hair is already hanging REALLY straight from the blow dryer. My current dryer does not get my hair that straight, so I figure that's part of the problem when I do my own hair. So I really wanna invest in a better dryer before I totally discount the MG...

Try a Solano.

I am back to add more 2 cents, lol. The clamp/pin that holds the detangler pin in came apart and I lost it. I called prepared to order a new one and she just clarified what part I was talking about. Asked where I bought it and my address and said she would send it right out....wow...No CC info zip! Free replacement that rocks for the price!

I bought the maxiglide in 2005, but in 2006 I got a Chi Iron and feel like the maxiglide was a waste! Girl, invest in a good ceramic flat iron - Maxiglide can't even compare.

I got a Maxiglide last year maybe? (Maybe further back...) Only cause this stylist I was seeing then used it. I thought it was magic, but she also added a crapload of pressing oil--which was the "real" magic. The iron w/o a ton of pressing oil didn't do anything but make my hair dull and dry. I still have it but it sits in the bottom of my drawer taking up a lot of space. Right now I'm using a "Shape" iron, I bought in Japan...but looking into purchasing a FHI. I always flat iron my hair and don't mind spending a lot money on a good iron that works well...

Back