May never trim again!!!

HotCoCoGurl130

Well, I may be exagerating a little but I have not had a trim since August. That may seem like childs play to some of you lady's but for me this is a real accomplishment. I hope that I can keep my ends so moisturized that the next time I need a trim I will only need some dusting and thats it. So I guess that is one of my long term goals. What is the longest that anyone has gone without a trim and why did you finally get one? Thanx in advance.

Right now, I am a week past due getting a trim but I'm not trimming. I got a trim at the end of August when I really didn't need one and that has really taught me a lesson. I don't plan on trimming again till March. I am wearing protective styles (buns) or I am doing updos (ends not on clothing but up in air) so I am preventing a lot of drying/breakage...as well as just taking better care of my hair. I am hoping to get to the point where I only trim every 6 months to shape up my hair b/c I do like my hair even.

thats what i have in mind hairlove. i think people(especially stylists) need to get out of the mindset that hair grows BECAUSE you trim it. thats just crap to me. until i found hair boards i really did not know what hair care was.

It has been five years since I last got a trim. I don't plan to get my hair trimmed any time soon.

The longest I've ver gone was about six months without a professional trim. I had to get one because my hair was so uneven, it was gross. Not to mention this caused me unecessary shedding as well.

Oh JRW thank the Lord for your post. I am transitioning (this is month 14) and I decided in September gone that I wasn't going to trim for the whole of my second year of transitioning. My ends are pretty healthy, but I thought that I must be a little
nuts.gif
, and that if I disclosed my intentions that you guys would be like
barf.gif
huh.gif

Now my secret is out and I feel free!
grin.gif
No more
sekret.gif

I trim my own hair, but never had any kind of schedule. I last trimmed my hair in June or July, until earlier today I "dusted" the ends after noticing some terrible splits! I'm pleased to say a lot of the ends didn't look like they really needed a trim
smile.gif

Mich,
I'm glad you feel comfortable about not trimming your hair. I have never felt that trimming my hair was necessary. If someone else wants to trim their hair, fine but if your hair is healthy and you don't want to keep the scissors away from the hair. I have had people make smart comments about my hatred of scissors but I just ignore them.

I had stylists tell me that my ends needed trimming because they were not smooth - they were flyaway. I told them that my ends weren't split (for goodness sake, I hardly ever wore my hair down) but my ends were most certainly dry. Sure enough even after the trim, when I washed it guess what??? Fly-away ends. Now I just don't care. That's just texture. I've got strong hair that is just itching to defy the relaxer and bend itself back into its spiral.
grin.gif

smile.gif
That's one important thing that I learned here. Just because the ends are fly-away or frizzy DOES NOT always mean they need to be trimmed!

Most stylists need to go read a book.

My stepmom doesn't trim her ends unless she has too.
smile.gif
She has always believed that your hair doesn't need to be cut for it to grow and she has long hair.

Yes, you guys are right! Hair doesn't need to be trimmed to grow. Will the ends look nicer being even? Yes, but's it's no necessary to obtain growth! I last trimmed 1/2 to an inch(myself) October, 2003, before that was a professional cut/trim in April, 2003.........so that's 6 months in between. I'll do it myself when I need it, but I think I can go every 6 months. I'll do every 6 months for maintanence and that nice thick look the ends get - but not to obtain growth because it doesn't affect the growth! I'm also so sick of hairstylists I could scream!!! I've never met any other group of professionals who know so little about their field!! None of us would have the length and healthy hair we have if we relied soley on stylists for our hair care!

I have not have a trim since 11/02 and I don't plan on ever having one again, EVER!

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Right now, I am a week past due getting a trim but I'm not trimming. I got a trim at the end of August when I really didn't need one and that has really taught me a lesson. I don't plan on trimming again till March. I am wearing protective styles (buns) or I am doing updos (ends not on clothing but up in air) so I am preventing a lot of drying/breakage...as well as just taking better care of my hair. I am hoping to get to the point where I only trim every 6 months to shape up my hair b/c I do like my hair even.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've been doing, but I'm thinking of trimming every 4 months.

[ QUOTE ]
Stylepink said:
I have not have a trim since 11/02 and I don't plan on ever having one again, EVER!

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds grat stylepink. You ends must be really well kept and moisturized.

Naturally our hair grows so that it is uneven thats why hair usually grows at different rates on different parts of our hair...and it shouldn't be cut completely even unless your ends are extremley damaged...and to think hairdressers do that all the time

[ QUOTE ]
HotCoCoGurl130 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stylepink said:

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds grat stylepink. You ends must be really well kept and moisturized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hotcoco, my ends are my obsession!
laugh.gif
I thank God,that I'm able to keep them moisturized pretty well.

Back