maybe mineral oil isn't so bad...

Cloefa

I know that a lot of ladies here swear off products with mineral oil, but...i've recently switched back to using 2 products with mineral oil (nexxus humectress and lekair cholesterol conditioner) and my hair is LOVING it. so, just playing devil's advocate, maybe it isn't so bad? considering how mineral oil (or any oil, for that matter) behaves as a barrier preventing moisture from escaping, could it be used as a sealant for hair that is already moisturized? what do you guys think... :yep:

Miss AJ

as far as i know, mineral oil is only tagged as a bad ingredient because it clogs the pores on the scalp. someone please correct me if im wrong.

frizzy

As long as my hair is moisturized before I put mineral oil, petrolatum AKA grease on my hair, it's all okay. :yep: I wash and DC weekly and don't put the stuff on my scalp so what harm can it do? None.

AmyRose92

Well, from what I've heard, some people use products with mineral oil if it's not like the first thing on the list of ingredients. :ohwell:

LushLox

I don't find MO too bad at all when used in moderation. The one product that I use with it in is the Mizani night time treatment, which is very good, but then I don't use it as a moisturiser I use it as a treatment.

30something

Its a product filler that really offers no conditioning properties, is my only deal with it. My main DC has it as 2nd ingredient too.

If it was in one my leave in I would stay away from it.

Vashti

I have a couple products with MO in them but I'm not having any problems with my hair. My hair and scalp stays healthy and moisturized. So long as you don't over do it with MO products, I don't see a problem.

afrikurl

If your hair loves it, I love it. I personally don't use products with mineral oil to leave on my hair but DCs that rinse out seem to be fine for me. I just used Silicon mix yesterday. I'm still in love.

ms.blue

Are there different types of mineral oil b/c the leave-in conditioner that I use for my braids works so good on my hair but the mineral oil in the motions silk protein deep conditioner makes my hair feel disgusting. Or is it the formulation in the products with mineral oil that makes the difference?

Ms Lala

I use mineral oil and petroleum based products on my skin and scalp per doctor recommendation because my skin and scalp are sensitive. I use a diluted clarifying poo at every wash to make sure my scalp gets clean and I haven't had any issues w/clogging pores. Most other oils bother my scalp (olive, coconut, & castor break my scalp out). I do not use mineral oil based products to moisturize but I will use conditioners or treatments that have it as an ingredient toward the middle or bottom of the list.

4evershika

I don't have a problem w/ it in rinse-out products but since I started my HHJ I haven't used it in any leave-in products.

Bene

I can't remember where I read this, so I may not be explaining it right, but mineral oil coats your hair. Sure, it prevents moisture from leaving, but it also prevents moisture from getting in. It may make your hair look shiny for a bit, but when you finally wash it out (which isn't easy), the hair underneath is dried out.

Also, for some hair types, it's way too heavy, and can make your hair look greasy and stiff. Personally, I like my hair to move, so as a matter of preference about appearance, I won't use it.

Geminigirl

Everytime I see a product with this ingrident in it, I quickly put it down. I really tried to avoid mineral oil. I picked up some of that Mango and Lime stuff and had to put it down cause MO was like second on the list. No thanks.

VidaStarr

I'm a strong believer that people have to do what works for their own hair. I personally saw a HUGE difference in my hairs health and growth since I've completely eliminated mineral oil. But I think my hair is on some raw food diet sh*t. It really only likes products that are 100% natural. My hair doesn't even like soybean oil. Every now and again I'll use a conditioner that has silicone in it. But I have to shampoo it out again within a couple of days or it will have buildup.

PinkPebbles

Are there different types of mineral oil b/c the leave-in conditioner that I use for my braids works so good on my hair but the mineral oil in the motions silk protein deep conditioner makes my hair feel disgusting. Or is it the formulation in the products with mineral oil that makes the difference?

You raised a valid point. I'd say yes.

Keracare hairdress which has mineral oil in it works fine on my hair when used in moderation.

On the other hand, my stylist recommended Design Essential Moisturizing Conditioner which has mineral oil, silicone, etc. My hair felt greasy, heavy, and coated. Within a week I had so much build-up. :ohwell:

I can't remember where I read this, so I may not be explaining it right, but mineral oil coats your hair. Sure, it prevents moisture from leaving, but it also prevents moisture from getting in. It may make your hair look shiny for a bit, but when you finally wash it out (which isn't easy), the hair underneath is dried out.

Also, for some hair types, it's way too heavy, and can make your hair look greasy and stiff. Personally, I like my hair to move, so as a matter of preference about appearance, I won't use it.

This was my experience with Design Essential Moisturizing Conditioner.:yep: Although I had shine, I suffered from build-up.

I personally prefer to use a DC without mineral oil.

Janet'

I say, do your research, if you find that it works well for your hair, don't go jumping on any bandwagons, just for the sake of a bandwagon...