Megatek + Braids = Hair Disaster?

prettypithy

I am currently in single extension braids. I just ordered my Megatek and am excited to begin using it. But then it occurred to me--if Megatek increases shedding, is it safe to use it with extension braids? Or will the increase in shed hairs lead to more tangles, matting and a possible setback during take down?

Please advise!

davisbr88

I've only used MT in braids or twists because the parts always give me easier access to my scalp. I didn't experience matting or a setback.

prettypithy

davisbr88, thanks for the feedback. I searched old threads on here and some people had really bad setbacks apparently. But I want to know if that is unusual or the norm...

Last edited:

davisbr88

Hmmm... not sure if I'm the exception. I hope someone else responds! I haven't have any ill effects.
*fingers crossed*

davisbr88

Oh, make sure you take some garlic!
I took a garlic supplement everyday when I used MT. It helps significantly with shedding. That may have been why I didn't have a setback.

doll-baby

I tried megatek in 2008 / 2009 and my hair thinned out very badly. I used it while my hair was braided underneath my sew in. I don't know if this happened because my hair was in braids and I used megatek or if it was just the megatek alone that did not agree with my hair. I did gain legnth (from APL to BSL) but the last 5 inches of my hair was crypt keeper thin . I ended up cutting it from BSL to SL, and eventually I transitioned and went natural. I am just now getting back to SL hair. I hope your experience with megatek is better than mine was.

Southern Belle

GIRL. You should do a search on the site about MT and braids. :nono:

While *some* people were able to use it with no issues, some of us lost A LOT of hair.

I will give you my experience with it. I was co-washing, and using OCT on my scalp nightly. I got good growth, but when I took the braids down, the OTC had hardened at the base - even though I was co-washing, and moisturinzing the braids DAILY. The base of all the braids had literally turned to CEMENT. You couldn't even pick them apart with the end of a rat tail comb! I cannot tell you how much hair I lost, and how hard I cried! It was the setback from HELL.

I promised myself I would never, ever, EVER do that again. It's been 2 years and I still haven't found the courage to go back to using it (even though I got 2 full bottles left) because honestly, I'm a little afraid of it now. :look:

Proceed if you must. I'm just offering a cautionary tale... :nono:

prettypithy

GIRL. You should do a search on the site about MT and braids. :nono:

While *some* people were able to use it with no issues, some of us lost A LOT of hair.

I will give you my experience with it. I was co-washing, and using OCT on my scalp nightly. I got good growth, but when I took the braids down, the OTC had hardened at the base - even though I was co-washing, and moisturinzing the braids DAILY. The base of all the braids had literally turned to CEMENT. You couldn't even pick them apart with the end of a rat tail comb! I cannot tell you how much hair I lost, and how hard I cried! It was the setback from HELL.

I promised myself I would never, ever, EVER do that again. It's been 2 years and I still haven't found the courage to go back to using it (even though I got 2 full bottles left) because honestly, I'm a little afraid of it now. :look:

Proceed if you must. I'm just offering a cautionary tale... :nono:

Southern Belle OMG, that really is the set back from hell. I'm too scurred to use this product now--I guess I'll wait til August. Thanks for the info. Even if your result was not typical, it is enough to put the fear of G-d in me. I guess I will just focus on incorporating JBCO into my reggie for now...

An_gell

I still use megatek regularly, but I haven't used it with braids. I do know you shed alot, I just started back using it a couple months ago and I definitely see the shedding versus when I tried it before I didn't shed that much. But since you are in braids your hair will shed and with the megatek causing shedding as well I don't think you should risk it. If you decide to do it, I would suggest re-doing your braids frequently to make sure you are getting all the residue at the base of the braids, hope that makes sense.

rmwms

Sorry for the double post....the people that had a setback did u mix megatex with any type of oil

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

Southern Belle

@Southern Belle OMG, that really is the set back from hell. I'm too scurred to use this product now--I guess I'll wait til August. Thanks for the info. Even if your result was not typical, it is enough to put the fear of G-d in me. I guess I will just focus on incorporating JBCO into my reggie for now...

What I think is important to remember is MT/OCT are protein treatments. It's not really designed to be used on hair that isn't fully "accessible" (with braids, you can't really get in there and give it a good shampooing and conditioning to make sure you wash all that stuff out). So it has nowhere to go, except deeper into the braid. It's so ridiculously obvious, I feel like an idiot for not taking a moment to think it through. I could've saved myself a lot of hair. It did push me into transitioning, and eventually becoming natural so it wasn't ALL bad. But man, that was a lesson I'd rather not have learned. :lol:

Again, some people have been able to successfully pull this off, so I suggest you seek them out, and ask them how they did it. But if you want my honest opinion, I think you could be playing with fire, here. :nono:

prettypithy

What I think is important to remember is MT/OCT are protein treatments. It's not really designed to be used on hair that isn't fully "accessible" (with braids, you can't really get in there and give it a good shampooing and conditioning to make sure you wash all that stuff out). So it has nowhere to go, except deeper into the braid. It's so ridiculously obvious, I feel like an idiot for not taking a moment to think it through. I could've saved myself a lot of hair. It did push me into transitioning, and eventually becoming natural so it wasn't ALL bad. But man, that was a lesson I'd rather not have learned. :lol:

Again, some people have been able to successfully pull this off, so I suggest you seek them out, and ask them how they did it. But if you want my honest opinion, I think you could be playing with fire, here. :nono:

Southern Belle So should I avoid protein treatments generally while I'm in braids? I usually do Joico KPAK Reconstructor every other week...I was wondering about whether I should continue that or no. I have gotten extension braids many times but not since starting my HHJ. In the past, I just did nothing whatsoever to them.:nono:

davisbr88

My hair LOVES protein so that may have been a reason too... lol. I washed almost every week the first time. The second time, I barely washed at all because it was in the midst of graduation. I still never had a setback. So maybe I am the exception.

prettypithy

I have never had a set back due to protein but I believe I am semi-sensitive to it just based on how my hair reacts to protein treatments.

Southern Belle and davisbr88 did you two just apply the MT to your scalps or were you applying it to the length of the hair?

Southern Belle

@Southern Belle So should I avoid protein treatments generally while I'm in braids? I usually do Joico KPAK Reconstructor every other week...I was wondering about whether I should continue that or no. I have gotten extension braids many times but not since starting my HHJ. In the past, I just did nothing whatsoever to them.:nono:

I can't really give you a straight answer on that. Just keep in mind that your hair isn't loose, and that protein is likely caking up in the nooks and crannies of those braids - even while moisturizing and conditioning every day.

I have never had a set back due to protein but I believe I am semi-sensitive to it just based on how my hair reacts to protein treatments.

@Southern Belle and @davisbr88 did you two just apply the MT to your scalps or were you applying it to the length of the hair?

I squirted some on the counter top, dabbed my fingertip in it and "greased" my scalp with it. I didn't use much at all. I used a dollop about the size of a dime for my entire head. I even massaged it into my scalp really well, and still ended up with problems.

I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you find one of the ladies that was able to make this work without losing enough hair to make a wig. You'll thank yourself later for it. :look:

davisbr88

Southern Belle and davisbr88 did you two just apply the MT to your scalps or were you applying it to the length of the hair?

Ok, sorry I keep forgetting stuff but I also cut my MT with some oil and leave-in conditioner. The first time I cut it with ORS Olive Oil Lotion. The second time I cut it with Dr. Miracle's Leave-In and some oils. This time I cut it with Shea Moisture Moisture Mist and a little aloe vera juice. I mix all of these into an 8-oz applicator bottle and apply it straight to my scalp and massage it in. I almost always use 5-6 oz of MT and then just fill it with whatever I want. I've never used it on the length of my hair. For some reason, I don't think that would be a good idea.

ETA: I used it on average three times a week (never more, but sometimes less)

Last edited:

Jetblackhair

I would not use Megatek while in braids or a weave. It's a strong protein and you need to see how your hair is reacting to it. You will not be able to see shedding versus excessive shedding. Even with taking garlic supplements, you still will not know if it's working. How will you be able to determine how often to use Megatek, 3 or 5 times a week based on your hair's response? This is just my humble opinion though, not meaning to scare you. Better safe than sorry.