Men and Hair Myths!

LocksOfLuV

I KNOW I am not the only chica on here who has a man who believes with full force in hair myths. Reading the other topics that we have on this board about black women and hair myths it is NO shocker that our men folk is picking up our our myths. Me and my man were talking (okay arguing :look: he thinks he knows EVERYTHING :lol: ) about hair and how to grow it out. Some of the things he was saying was enforcing and bringing back all those pre-LHCF memories. :lol:

I asked this fool how black women should get long hair and he told me "First you need to get some micros, but they got to be tight so it can make your hair grow and pull the newgrowth out!" :eek: I then proceded to ask him, to name me one lady who wears scalp-tight micros who has hair past her shoulders...*crickets*

And that's not all ladies. :lol: This man told me "Hair grow in dirt, you do too much to your hair (deep conditioning weekly is "too much")! All the gunk on your scalp makes it grow!" His EXACT words not mine!:lol:

I love this man and he is doing the damn thang (basketball player and in college) but I told him that he needs to stick to B-ball and that hair is MY thing. I don't tell him how to run the court so don't tell me how to grow my hair!:lol:

Ladies I know I am not alone. How much do the men in your life (cousins, brothers, uncles, dads, SO/DHs, etc) know about hair? What myths have you heard them say? Stories?

starfish79

SF walks in...slides into a comfy chair...grabs some popcorn...puts her feet up and waits...

(these stories are going to be too good miss)

glamazon386

One of my friends called me Kelly Topolski when I told him I wash my hair every other day when it's out. :look:

Also they all assume that women who wear weaves are bald headed (which could be the case but not always) but the ones with braids aren't. They don't like weaves but they like braids. UMM THEY ARE THE SAME THING. They are both fake hair attached to your own hair.

Also nobody got the whole I'm growing out my relaxer thing only to cut the relaxed hair off. I just started telling people I was natural. They didn't get it.

They also think that hair grows fast. I guess they think that bc theirs grows right back after a haircut. Not really. It takes a while to see some length.

ETA: :lachen: at the micros pulling the new growth out. That's a new one. :lol:

Last edited:

LocksOfLuV

bmoreflyygirl said:
One of my friends called me Kelly Topolski when I told him I wash my hair every other day when it's out. :look:

Also they all assume that women who wear weaves are bald headed (which could be the case but not always) but the ones with braids aren't. They don't like weaves but they like braids. UMM THEY ARE THE SAME THING. They are both fake hair attached to your own hair.

Also nobody got the whole I'm growing out my relaxer thing only to cut the relaxed hair off. I just started telling people I was natural. They didn't get it.

They also think that hair grows fast. I guess they think that bc theirs grows right back after a haircut. Not really. It takes a while to see some length.

ETA: :lachen: at the micros pulling the new growth out. That's a new one. :lol:

:lachen: Who is Kelly Topolski?!

glamazon386

LocksOfLuV said:
:lachen: Who is Kelly Topolski?!

The white girl from Saved by the Bell. With the long brown hair. The one Zack used to date. I think her real name is Tiffany Amber Thiessen.

klb120475

LocksOfLuV said:
I asked this fool how black women should get long hair and he told me "First you need to get some micros, but they got to be tight so it can make your hair grow and pull the newgrowth out!" :eek: I then proceded to ask him, to name me one lady who wears scalp-tight micros who has hair past her shoulders...*crickets*

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

jturner7156

Well ((smacks lips)), my SO says I need to keep my hair cornrowed and take 1 braid out at a time and redo it... this is supposedly the way his hair grew when he was growing cornrows several years ago. He also says dirt makes the hair grow :perplexed and to only wash once a month. He also says I don't need to use so many different hair products whenever he sees UPS dropping off another box...he might be right about that though :look: !

Proudpiscean

LocksOfLuV said:
I KNOW I am not the only chica on here who has a man who believes with full force in hair myths. Reading the other topics that we have on this board about black women and hair myths it is NO shocker that our men folk is picking up our our myths. Me and my man were talking (okay arguing :look: he thinks he knows EVERYTHING :lol: ) about hair and how to grow it out. Some of the things he was saying was enforcing and bringing back all those pre-LHCF memories. :lol:

And that's not all ladies. :lol: This man told me "Hair grow in dirt, you do too much to your hair (deep conditioning weekly is "too much")! All the gunk on your scalp makes it grow!" His EXACT words not mine!:lol:

I love this man and he is doing the damn thang (basketball player and in college) but I told him that he needs to stick to B-ball and that hair is MY thing. I don't tell him how to run the court so don't tell me how to grow my hair!:lol:

Ladies I know I am not alone. How much do the men in your life (cousins, brothers, uncles, dads, SO/DHs, etc) know about hair? What myths have you heard them say? Stories?

Girl, you got me howling over here! :lachen: :lachen:
I have heard those same myths before from people with hair this *---------* long. *SMH*

klb120475

jturner7156 said:
Well ((smacks lips)), my SO says I need to keep my hair cornrowed and take 1 braid out at a time and redo it... this is supposedly the way his hair grew when he was growing cornrows several years ago. He also says dirt makes the hair grow :perplexed and to only wash once a month. He also says I don't need to use so many different hair products whenever he sees UPS dropping off another box...he might be right about that though :look: !

((smacks lips)).....girl, he ain't talkin bout nothin.:lol:

LocksOfLuV

bmoreflyygirl said:
The white girl from Saved by the Bell. With the long brown hair. The one Zack used to date. I think her real name is Tiffany Amber Thiessen.

I thougth her name was Kelly Kapowski!:eek: :lachen:

LocksOfLuV

jturner7156 said:

OMG! So my SO had braids a few years ago and he also mentioned the same thing since "that's how his hair grew" I had to wuickly remind him, baby you wore braids for about 4 years and you STILL wasn't past APL.:look:

LocksOfLuV

amr501 said:
Girl, you got me howling over here! :lachen: :lachen:
I have heard those same myths before from people with hair this *---------* long. *SMH*

It's funny when people ask you "how yo hurr get that long" and you tell them and they are like ":perplexed wash your hair once a week?! that's gon make your hair fall out.":confused:

And I'm thinking "if it did we wouldn't be having this conversation now would we..."

jturner7156

LocksOfLuV said:
OMG! So my SO had braids a few years ago and he also mentioned the same thing since "that's how his hair grew" I had to wuickly remind him, baby you wore braids for about 4 years and you STILL wasn't past APL.:look:

LOL! I know right...I seen a pic of him w/cornrows and they were barely past necklength. He was like you had to pull them to see the length...I forgot to ask him, how hard did you have to pull them though :lachen: ?

audacious1

My SO truly believes that black girls in the south don't have long hair(as in can't grow it)...He's from MS.:perplexed

I asked him why he believes this because he said it more than once. First he said it's too humid for the hair to grow. Then after I've been schooling him, that answer evolved into they use heat too much to combat the humidity, and his answer as of Sunday was it's too hot in the south to have long hair.

Whatever. He don't know what he's talking about. But I'm teaching him, so...

Christa438

LocsOfLuv, you got me :lol: :lol: :lol: .

The problem with my man is that he tells me what not to do based on things that I've told him I learned. I flat-ironed my hair a couple of months ago just to see my stretched length and he came behind me talkin bout "You not supposed to be doing that stuff to yo hair anymore, it's not good, & u tryin 2 grow it, right?" I hadn't used heat in a long long time. I just meant heat is not good to use all the time--it can cause damage.

I wanted to tell him to get out of my face. Instead I explained to him that I wasn't going to make a habit of it and that my hair will Continue to grow.

Then he always wants to give his input about how I should style our daughter's hair. She's 16 months. I like to leave her hair in platts every other month and the rest of the time she wears it curly. He thinks the platts look old quickly because she sleeps on them. Im not about to redo all of them everyday. I redo them every week to two weeks. I think they've been helping her hair grow better than when she sleeps on unplatted hair. What would he know. When she barely turned 1, he asked me when we were going to give her a perm. :eek: As if her natural curly texture isn't beautiful. I believe their are pictures of her hair in my fotki. I do her hair so I don't understand why he would ask that as if it's hard for him to manage.
...Men...

jturner7156

Christa438 said:

The problem with my man is that he tells me what not to do based on things that I've told him I learned. I flat-ironed my hair a couple of months ago just to see my stretched length and he came behind me talkin bout "You not supposed to be doing that stuff to yo hair anymore, it's not good, & u tryin 2 grow it, right?" I hadn't used heat in a long long time. I just meant heat is not good to use all the time--it can cause damage.

I wanted to tell him to get out of my face. Instead I explained to him that I wasn't going to make a habit of it and that my hair will Continue to grow.

Then he always wants to give his input about how I should style our daughter's hair. She's 16 months. I like to leave her hair in platts every other month and the rest of the time she wears it curly. He thinks the platts look old quickly because she sleeps on them. Im not about to redo all of them everyday. I redo them every week to two weeks. I think they've been helping her hair grow better than when she sleeps on unplatted hair. What would he know. When she barely turned 1, he asked me when we were going to give her a perm. :eek: As if her natural curly texture isn't beautiful. I believe their are pictures of her hair in my fotki. I do her hair so I don't understand why he would ask that as if it's hard for him to manage.
...Men...

"Flavor Flav"...WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :lachen: :lachen:

LocksOfLuV

jturner7156 said:
LOL! I know right...I seen a pic of him w/cornrows and they were barely past necklength. He was like you had to pull them to see the length...I forgot to ask him, how hard did you have to pull them though :lachen: ?

Oh shyt!!!:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

LocksOfLuV

audacious1 said:
My SO truly believes that black girls in the south don't have long hair(as in can't grow it)...He's from MS.:perplexed

I asked him why he believes this because he said it more than once. First he said it's too humid for the hair to grow. Then after I've been schooling him, that answer evolved into they use heat too much to combat the humidity, and his answer as of Sunday was it's too hot in the south to have long hair.

What the hell is up with these SO's thinking they are dang on scientist!!!:lachen: You should have asked him "then how do white girls grow hair in the south.":look:

LocksOfLuV

Christa438 said:

...Men...

:lol: My SO does that too. I tell him something about my hair, thinking he forgot and it back fires. He'll throw it in my face like "But last year you said you would never blowdry again..." And I'm like "daaaaammmmn!":lol:

And I can't believe he asked when she was getting a perm!:lachen: Bless him hawt! He probably thought all girls was 'supposed' to get them regardless of texture.

My SO thinks all black women (non-mixed) women have the same texture.:ohwell: *holds in laughter*

cmw45

bmoreflyygirl said:

OT: bmoreflyygirl, you need to tell your smartass friend that if he's gonna pick on you he should at least get it right...Saved By the Bell was MY SHOWWW...and her name was Kelly Kapowski.

My current boyfriend is actually really good about it...he see's my hair growing and in good condition and doesn't really have much to say. He got really confused/and frightened when I told him that I needed to get my ends trimmed. He was like, "Please don't cut your hair." :lol:

I do have male friends that have said similar things to the comments made by the OP's BF. One male friend said, "You should put a relaxer in your hair if you really want it to grow...relaxers grow your hair." I was like :smirk:
I was also told by this same friend that black women's hair doesn't really grow past shoulder length and once it gets there it just falls out. Like, it touches the shoulder and then knows to fall out. I was like :ohwell:

I think the most outrageous things I have heard have actually come from other black women and HAIR STYLIST...they are they are the worse.

cmw45

LocksOfLuV said:
:lol: My SO does that too. I tell him something about my hair, thinking he forgot and it back fires. He'll throw it in my face like "But last year you said you would never blowdry again..." And I'm like "daaaaammmmn!":lol:

And I can't believe he asked when she was getting a perm!:lachen: Bless him hawt! He probably thought all girls was 'supposed' to get them regardless of texture.

My SO thinks all black women (non-mixed) women have the same texture.:ohwell: *holds in laughter*

I think that my SO was confused (as are many of the women in the shop I go to) by my 4a hair. This one woman looked at my hair as I was combing it out my stylist chair (cause she's not gentle enough, so now I do it myself) and said, "Is that your hair? Really? I thought you had a track until you started combing it. That's and INTERESTING texture." Like I was an alien. I mean, you don't have to be mixed to have a curl patter. *sighs*

ClassicBeauty

audacious1 said:

He really doesn't know what he's talking about! I used to live in MS, and there are plenty of black women with long hair (that they grew, not bought). Now I have to tell you that there are many black women without pretty hair there too, but that's the case everywhere.

As for the whole south and the heat thing...I went to college in New Orleans, and I saw the thickest, longest, hair on so many black women there. AND before he gets the chance to say it, tell him that they were not all creole and light. They were women of all shades of brown! I actually think that the humidity helped the hair. Your hair is definitely always moisturized!:lol: It may frizz before the end of the day, but it's definitely healthy. Also, most of my friends agreed that our hair, skin, and nails were so healthy while we were there. We thought it was either the humidity or something in the nasty water.:perplexed I think the problem in the south with the heat can become a huge problem for your hair if you are putting curling irons on sweatty hair all the time. :ohwell: Yuck! But there are women with pretty hair in the south! Lots of them. The difference may be that he didn't see a lot of weaves when he lived there like he may see now. I don't know.:ohwell:

LocksOfLuV

cmw45 said:
OT: bmoreflyygirl, you need to tell your smartass friend that if he's gonna pick on you he should at least get it right...Saved By the Bell was MY SHOWWW...and her name was Kelly Kapowski.

My current boyfriend is actually really good about it...he see's my hair growing and in good condition and doesn't really have much to say. He got really confused/and frightened when I told him that I needed to get my ends trimmed. He was like, "Please don't cut your hair." :lol:

I do have male friends that have said similar things to the comments made by the OP's BF. One male friend said, "You should put a relaxer in your hair if you really want it to grow...relaxers grow your hair." I was like :smirk:
I was also told by this same friend that black women's hair doesn't really grow past shoulder length and once it gets there it just falls out. Like, it touches the shoulder and then knows to fall out. I was like :ohwell:

I think the most outrageous things I have heard have actually come from other black women and HAIR STYLIST...they are they are the worse.

Tell me you lying!!?!:eek: :eek: :lol:

LocksOfLuV

cmw45 said:
I think that my SO was confused (as are many of the women in the shop I go to) by my 4a hair. This one woman looked at my hair as I was combing it out my stylist chair (cause she's not gentle enough, so now I do it myself) and said, "Is that your hair? Really? I thought you had a track until you started combing it. That's and INTERESTING texture." Like I was an alien. I mean, you don't have to be mixed to have a curl patter. *sighs*

It's actually kind of rare you get to see a black woman's natural texture. That's why they were kinda shocked. If more of us wore our hair natural we could see the diversity more.

SEMO

LocksOfLuV said:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: You are hilarious! Good thing he isn't on LHCF, he might go into shock.

LocksOfLuV

DivaStyle said:
He really doesn't know what he's talking about! I used to live in MS, and there are plenty of black women with long hair (that they grew, not bought). Now I have to tell you that there are many black women without pretty hair there too, but that's the case everywhere.

As for the whole south and the heat thing...I went to college in New Orleans, and I saw the thickest, longest, hair on so many black women there. AND before he gets the chance to say it, tell him that they were not all creole and light. They were women of all shades of brown! I actually think that the humidity helped the hair. Your hair is definitely always moisturized!:lol: It may frizz before the end of the day, but it's definitely healthy. Also, most of my friends agreed that our hair, skin, and nails were so healthy while we were there. We thought it was either the humidity or something in the nasty water.:perplexed I think the problem in the south with the heat can become a huge problem for your hair if you are putting curling irons on sweatty hair all the time. :ohwell: Yuck! But there are women with pretty hair in the south! Lots of them. The difference may be that he didn't see a lot of weaves when he lived there like he may see now. I don't know.:ohwell:

The water in Clearwater, FL (well Fl period) is disgusting but my nails and skin was the healthiest ever. You def. have a point!

LocksOfLuV

SEMO said:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: You are hilarious! Good thing he isn't on LHCF, he might go into shock.

He already in shock!:lachen: He keeps asking me "What else do yall need to talk about, why yall gotta stay on there after your find out what works for you. Leave!" He just doesn't get it!

Watch out ladies. This man says he is coming out with his own products and is gonna charge about 15 bucks a bottle since we all "be gettin' got" spending money on products!:lachen:

SEMO

LocksOfLuV said:
He already in shock!:lachen: He keeps asking me "What else do yall need to talk about, why yall gotta stay on there after your find out what works for you. Leave!" He just doesn't get it!

Watch out ladies. This man says he is coming out with his own products and is gonna charge about 15 bucks a bottle since we all "be gettin' got" spending money on products!:lachen:

Pfft! LHCF is like a secret society. Entrance by invitation only. :lol::lol:
[demonstrates LHCF secret handshake]