Miconazole Nitrate Users Please check in here before you shop for that 4%!!

LaNecia

I've got a question for you chemists and mathematicians: Is there a dosage that is higher than 2%? Some of you would argue yes but before you do let me share with you what I saw: the Minconale Nitrate Vaginal Creams that are 4% (the suppositories) are 200 mg ea. I purchased one that as 100 mg per dose and it's advertised as 2%. So, I asked the phamarcist who said, it's 2% per 100 mg. Period. It's 4% because of the mg size.

So on that theory, if you have 4%, it's because the dosage is 200 mg, not because the potency is higher.

If I am wrong, please correct me!!

Now, try this one on for size too: I picked up Long's Generic Miconazole 7 Vanginal Cream (2%), the ingredients are the same as the Generic Miconazole Nitrate (2%) and and Neosporin AF with the exception of THE ADDITION OF GLYCEROL STEARATE which is listed as ingredient No.3.

So what in the heck is glycerol stearate? Read on...Glycerol Stearate: Natural Sources:Starting materials used for making commercial grade Glycerol Stearate (a normal byproduct of digestion) can be obtained from animal fats and plant oils including soya bean, palm kernel and corn oil. Glycerol Stearate is generally prepared commercially from glycerine and fatty acids derived from corn or hydrogenated soya bean oil.

Forms:
Glycerol Monostearate; Glycerol monohydroxystearate.

Therapeutic Uses:
- Drug Delivery
- Eczema
- Emollient
- Emulsifier
- Moisturizer

Overview:
Glycerol stearate is a natural fatty compound often used as an emulsifier, emulsion stabilizer, emollient, moisturizer and viscosity builder in creams and lotions. It is also used as an opacifying and pearlizing agent in cosmetics. Glycerol stearate can be of plant origin (corn-based), animal source or synthetic and is considered to be biodegradable, practically non-toxic orally and causes no skin and minimal eye irritation. It is dispersible in water and is also soluble in oil and alcohol, making it an ideal ingredient for cosmetics. ... The glycerol component of glycerol stearate can be from beef fat, petroleum, or vegetable source and is itself used as a solvent and humectant (maintains the desired moisture level).

As HoneyDew pointed out in her posts, the Vaginal creams are heavier in consistency than the Neosporin AF. Makes sense doesn't it?

So before you spend $10+ on the 4% vaginal suppositories in hopes of getting a jump on the rest of us...you may wanna go on and get the generic tube of MN!

If someone already posted this, please forgive my redundancy. I've tried to read every single post for information before writing this.

If someone finds out differently, please share!

HHG Ladies!!

VWV.

Last edited:

KiniKakes

That is GREAT information, VW. :) Thanks so much for doing that research. I was actually feeling a little bad because I had bought so much of the 2%, feeling like I should have just waited and invested in the 4%. But it looks like it all balances out. Kewl.

I really like the light consistency of the Neosporin AF anyway, so im glad to stick with that.

ekomba

VWVixxen said:
I've got a question for you chemists and mathematicians: Is there a dosage that is higher than 2%? Some of you would argue yes but before you do let me share with you what I saw: the Minconale Nitrate Vaginal Creams that are 4% (the suppositories) are 200 mg ea. I purchased one that as 100 mg per dose and it's advertised as 2%. So, I asked the phamarcist who said, it's 2% per 100 mg. Period. It's 4% because of the mg size.

So on that theory, if you have 4%, it's because the dosage is 200 mg, not because the potency is higher.

If I am wrong, please correct me!!

Now, try this one on for size too: I picked up Long's Generic Miconazole 7 Vanginal Cream (2%), the ingredients are the same as the Generic Miconazole Nitrate (2%) and and Neosporin AF with the exception of THE ADDITION OF GLYCEROL STEARATE which is listed as ingredient No.3.

So what in the heck is glycerol stearate? Read on...Glycerol Stearate: Natural Sources:Starting materials used for making commercial grade Glycerol Stearate (a normal byproduct of digestion) can be obtained from animal fats and plant oils including soya bean, palm kernel and corn oil. Glycerol Stearate is generally prepared commercially from glycerine and fatty acids derived from corn or hydrogenated soya bean oil.

Forms:
Glycerol Monostearate; Glycerol monohydroxystearate.

Therapeutic Uses:
- Drug Delivery
- Eczema
- Emollient
- Emulsifier
- Moisturizer

Overview:
Glycerol stearate is a natural fatty compound often used as an emulsifier, emulsion stabilizer, emollient, moisturizer and viscosity builder in creams and lotions. It is also used as an opacifying and pearlizing agent in cosmetics. Glycerol stearate can be of plant origin (corn-based), animal source or synthetic and is considered to be biodegradable, practically non-toxic orally and causes no skin and minimal eye irritation. It is dispersible in water and is also soluble in oil and alcohol, making it an ideal ingredient for cosmetics. ... The glycerol component of glycerol stearate can be from beef fat, petroleum, or vegetable source and is itself used as a solvent and humectant (maintains the desired moisture level).

As HoneyDew pointed out in her posts, the Vaginal creams are heavier in consistency than the Neosporin AF. Makes sense doesn't it?

So before you spend $10+ on the 4% vaginal suppositories in hopes of getting a jump on the rest of us...you may wanna go on and get the generic tube of MN!

If someone already posted this, please forgive my redundancy. I've tried to read every single post for information before writing this.

If someone finds out differently, please share!

HHG Ladies!!

VWV.

wow VWVixxen so i may as well get the 2% if it s the same thing. thanks for the looking out girl;)

LipGlassHoney

I asked my pharmacist friends and he said that the 4% would still be 4% even if there were only 200 mg of cream in the tube. If you use half of the tube and only 100 mg is left, it would still be 4% miconazole. He tried to explain it so I could understand by comparing Benzoyl Peroxide creams. Some have 5% and some 10% and it doesn't matter what size bottle it's in. I don't know who is right but I can understand both sides.

LaNecia

LipGlassHoney said:
I asked my pharmacist friends and he said that the 4% would still be 4% even if there were only 200 mg of cream in the tube. If you use half of the tube and only 100 mg is left, it would still be 4% miconazole. He tried to explain it so I could understand by comparing Benzoyl Peroxide creams. Some have 5% and some 10% and it doesn't matter what size bottle it's in. I don't know who is right but I can understand both sides.

I see his point. Hmmm, well, the tubes I'm looking at say 2% per 100 mg so I shall continue to investigate further! :lol:

toinette

Tricking the president
LipGlassHoney said:

thats what i was thinking as well. like your example with the 5% BP, whether you use a small dab or a heap load of it, the amount of BP contained within that portion is going to be 5%.

DMarie

At drugstore .com the Monistat 3 3 Day Vaginal Yeast Infection Cream, Miconazole Nitrate with 3 individual prefilled applicators states: Active Ingredients: per applicator: Miconazole Nitrate (4%)

DMarie

LaNecia

toinette said:
thats what i was thinking as well. like your example with the 5% BP, whether you use a small dab or a heap load of it, the amount of BP contained within that portion is going to be 5%.

Well you know I'm complexed because the pharmacist said that was the case unless it's the case depending how the packaging is marked. I.E, if it show 2% per 100 MG as my box does (but has 200 mg per dose). Then perhaps the others that are marked 4% do have a higher concentration? I'll check tomorrow in my travels because maybe she gave me crappy info. :confused:

I'll check at a hospital pharmacy instead of Long's.

Plenty

LipGlassHoney said:
Exactly! That pharmacist sounds like a damn fool. I thought pretty sure that you have to take at least calc to me a pharmacist! I am really upset that he gave you this wrong *** information. It is not correct!

LaNecia

Plenty706 said:
Exactly! That pharmacist sounds like a damn fool. I thought pretty sure that you have to take at least calc to me a pharmacist! I am really upset that he gave you this wrong *** information. It is not correct!

It was a WOMAN!! :(