Micro Braids

GinuwinesBoo

when i do my sisters micro braids i always have to glue the ends so they dont unbraid themselves. is there any other way i can seal the ends without needing glue?
~Lauren

When I've worn microbraids, the stylist takes a few strands of the synthetic hair and forms some type of knot. I'm not sure what kind of knot though. You remove the knot with cuticle nipper when taking th braids down.

ummmmmmm with natural hair it should stay sealed i mean ive had single braids all over my head and the ends stay in i quess if u got kinky ass hair like me u wont have a problem i dunno but the smaller the braid is the more it stays in on my hair.....i would say burn the ends yeh

The glue or knot seem a lot easier than the method I used to use when I used synthetic hair for my braids. I would have a candle burning nearby and a bowl of water. Of course you must excercise caution so as not to create a bonfire with your head. I normally did this at the very end. I'd take each braid in turn, securing all the others with a scrunchy, and hold the end of the hair to the the candle flame so it sorta melts (happens fast) and then I'd dip my fingers in the cold water and roll the molten part between my fingers twisting it to form a neat pointed end. If I didn't want it too pointed or if I had any parts of the molten hair stretching like a web, I'd use a pair of scissors to tidy that up. The rythmn of the fingers isn't hard to learn: dip-roll-dip (It's not easy to forget the dip! LOL) Your fingers do get a bit of minor burning but one does survive the experience.LOL Besides when you see the finished the end-results a touch of amensia does set in such that you forget you swore you'd not put your fingers through that again and find yourself repeating the process the next time you do the braids. LOL

On second thoughts... In this day and age, I'm sure somewhere out there someone has to have invented a tool that could be used to melt and bond plastic/synthetics so you wouldn't have to burn your fingers. I just haven't bothered looking. Maybe a Mechanic or Home Depot employee could suggest something the cuts and seals with heat?

With human hair, I've never bothered to do anything to the ends. They may unravel if your hairpiece is very silky, but usually after awhile that stops. And if you have hair like mine and it's natural, the part of the braid that has your hair usually hold well and the unraveled part doesn't look bad for micro braids. Otherwise you can just keep re-braiding the part that's undoing itself yourself till your hair pays attention to the rules you're setting. And it will, for it's only when it's brand new that it'll drive you nuts. Maybe a holding spray/mousse can help, but I've never needed to use one.

I've always gotten human hair braids, and with those, my stylist said I had a choice between getting a tiny knot or holding the braid with hairspray. Since I was skeptical about the whole hair spray thing, I opted for the knot.
If you're using human hair, you won't be able to burn the ends.
For that, you have to use synthetic hair.

[ QUOTE ]
The glue or knot seem a lot easier than the method I used to use when I used synthetic hair for my braids. I would have a candle burning nearby and a bowl of water. Of course you must excercise caution so as not to create a bonfire with your head. I normally did this at the very end. I'd take each braid in turn, securing all the others with a scrunchy, and hold the end of the hair to the the candle flame so it sorta melts (happens fast) and then I'd dip my fingers in the cold water and roll the molten part between my fingers twisting it to form a neat pointed end. If I didn't want it too pointed or if I had any parts of the molten hair stretching like a web, I'd use a pair of scissors to tidy that up. The rythmn of the fingers isn't hard to learn: dip-roll-dip (It's not easy to forget the dip! LOL) Your fingers do get a bit of minor burning but one does survive the experience.LOL Besides when you see the finished the end-results a touch of amensia does set in such that you forget you swore you'd not put your fingers through that again and find yourself repeating the process the next time you do the braids. LOL

On second thoughts... In this day and age, I'm sure somewhere out there someone has to have invented a tool that could be used to melt and bond plastic/synthetics so you wouldn't have to burn your fingers. I just haven't bothered looking. Maybe a Mechanic or Home Depot employee could suggest something the cuts and seals with heat?

With human hair, I've never bothered to do anything to the ends. They may unravel if your hairpiece is very silky, but usually after awhile that stops. And if you have hair like mine and it's natural, the part of the braid that has your hair usually hold well and the unraveled part doesn't look bad for micro braids. Otherwise you can just keep re-braiding the part that's undoing itself yourself till your hair pays attention to the rules you're setting. And it will, for it's only when it's brand new that it'll drive you nuts. Maybe a holding spray/mousse can help, but I've never needed to use one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that sound painful. I just use a marcel curling iron for the ends. Works great too!

[ QUOTE ]
Wow that sound painful. I just use a marcel curling iron for the ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now why didn't I think of that? I knew someone with a brain knew an easier way. Hey, but how do you stop the synthetic hair from sticking to the curling iron? Or do you just scrape off any that does? I assume you can still achieve the neat pointed look if you move fast and roll the hair between your fingers before it cools down, right?

Good thinking, dontspeakdefeat.

Yeah they look very neat if you roll them. The only catch is the leftovers stick to the iron and you have to soak it in cold water for a few minutes and scrape it off. I use mineral oil so my irons won't rust.

thanks for all the tips, i'll probably try the hair spray one because it wont be going on her real hair. ill get a super holding one. i also like the idea of knots.
~Lauren

Back