Mid-Relaxer Protein?????

Barbie83

OK, I've been looking at some relaxer threads today and it seems that some ladies are adding protein to their relaxing process.

I'm 14 weeks post, switching to lye (Linange) and would love to add protein to the process, but I'm a little scared.

What are the best techniques to incorporate the protein? Before or after neutralizing? And what proteins do u use?

I currently have Aphogee 2 minute and a sample of Joico KPak reconstructor.

Any advice on this would be very helpful! I'm ending my stretch next week! THANKS LADIES! :drunk:

LushLox

I use protein after I have thoroughly rinsed with water, so before I neutralise. That way the cuticle is swollen and can absorb the protein more readily. I use Aphogee 2 minute then neut immediately after.

Barbie83

thats what scares me. would the protein somehow block the neautralizer from getting to the hair? Or am I misunderstanding the way protein works on hair :\

gissellr78

I also use a mild protein treatment after rinsing and before neutralizing. I use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor (NOT 2 STEP) or joico k pak- the one from sallys.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
A week before relaxing, I usually do a Protein Treatment (i.e Nexxus Emergencee, etc) as a way of Prepping My Hair.:yep:

After Relaxing, I Rinse for an Eternity, then I apply a Med Protein treatment Prior to Neturalizing. I've Used Joico K-Pak, however my last relaxer (09/04) I used Sebastian Penetraitt.

Here are some examples I currently have in my Stash that I would consider using during that step:

Nexxus Emergencee
Nexxus Keraphix
Joico K-Pak
Sebastian Penetraitt
Tigi Dumb Blonde
Millennia Mud Volcanic Ash Reconstructor
Giovanni Nutra-Fix
AO GPB
AG Fast Food Reconstructor
Ion Reconstructor

I apply for about 5-10 minutes rinse thoroughly and then proceed with Neutralizing.
HTH's:yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
thats what scares me. would the protein somehow block the neautralizer from getting to the hair? Or am I misunderstanding the way protein works on hair :\

Actually, during that step, the Protein is going to re-build your hair. When you relax you are breaking down the chemical bonds in your hair to the 'nth degree (to straighten it) and your hair is in it's most fragile state.

However, it is also in the most "receptive" state to receive product that can build it back as well.

So, that's where your Mid-Protein Step becomes highly effective. No, it won't stop the neutralization process from working the way it's suppose to. In fact, it will help it. You'll be okay.:yep:

Barbie83

Actually, during that step, the Protein is going to re-build your hair. When you relax you are breaking down the chemical bonds in your hair to the 'nth degree (to straighten it) and your hair is in it's most fragile state.

However, it is also in the most "receptive" state to receive product that can build it back as well.

So, that's where your Mid-Protein Step becomes highly effective. No, it won't stop the neutralization process from working the way it's suppose to. In fact, it will help it. You'll be okay.:yep:

That makes total sense. THANK YOU!!! :yep:

hillytmj

My stylist uses one as part of the Affirm relaxing system. You leave it on for abot 5-10 min after neutralizing. Its the 5 n 1 reconstructor.

You'll be ok girly I used Linange for the first time in August. I rinse it out and applied aphogee 2 min for a couple of minutes, rinse, neutralized then did my deep conditioner. Everything turned out fine. No worries. I was scared when I heard about the mid protein thing but then I researched and realized it was ok.

yardgirl

I used ORS Replenishing right after I washed out and before I neutralised for my last relaxer. I did the Aphogee 2 Minute (A2M) the week before. My hair is strong and soft. I might do the A2M before I neutralise for my next relaxer.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

There is protein you can buy at Sally's that's in the color section. It's meant to be added to dyes to prevent damage. It works extremely well in relaxers. You mix it into the product. You can also rinse the processed relaxer out, then apply a good moisturizing protein conditioner at that stage, then neutralize.

MrsSmitty77

When you use the Aphogee 2 minute before neutralizing, do you also use the balancing moisturizer or does the DC after the relaxer take care of that? Thanks