Mixing mid-protein step with neutralizing...

VirtuousGal

Since many of you combine steps, such as knocking out moisture and protein by combining conditioners, has anyone done anything like adding vinegar to whatever protein conditioner used after rinsing out the relaxer, like a capful to an ounce of Aphogee 2 min? I was thinking about doing that, then following up with a real neutralizing shampoo to ensure the relaxer is neutralized and I get white suds. Thoughts?

VirtuousGal

Since many of you combine steps, such as knocking out moisture and protein by combining conditioners, has anyone done anything like adding vinegar to whatever protein conditioner used after rinsing out the relaxer, like a capful to an ounce of Aphogee 2 min? I was thinking about doing that, then following up with a real neutralizing shampoo to ensure the relaxer is neutralized and I get white suds. Thoughts?

come on self relaxers...anyone?

lana

Are you considering doing an ACV rinse along with the protein conditioner used BEFORE nuetralizing? I wouldn't suggest it.

1. Relax the hair and RINSE
2. Protein Conditioner
3. ACV Rinse if desired
4. Shampoo with Nuetralizing conditioner
5. Deep Condition
6. Style as desired

But may I say that you would have to do steps 2-4 with lightening speed to nuetralize properly and not overprocess the hair. Why not skip step 3 until after you've nuetralized and deep conditioned.

girlcherokee

disclaimer:
ok i have a rudinmentary understanding of this - but i have just read over a lot of the stuff so it is fresh in my head - (my way of saying that i am far from an expert)
i think that the reason the protiend before the neutralizer works so well is that the hair shaft is open, due to the process of needing to be opended for the relaxer to work, so this allows the protien to penetrate the hair follicle deeper than it would after you have neutralized your hair. in other words when you neutralize, you close the shaft. so if you put vinegar in the protien step, you are defeating the purpose of doing the protien step before the neutralizer. you would be closing the shaft at the same time you are trying to add protien within the shaft. make sense? i hope i said this right - i am sure there are more knowlegable sisters who could answer this much better than i just did.

ebonylocs

in other words when you neutralize, you close the shaft. so if you put vinegar in the protein step, you are defeating the purpose of doing the protein step before the neutralizer. you would be closing the shaft at the same time you are trying to add protien within the shaft.
Yep. I agree.

gymfreak336

disclaimer:
ok i have a rudinmentary understanding of this - but i have just read over a lot of the stuff so it is fresh in my head - (my way of saying that i am far from an expert)
i think that the reason the protiend before the neutralizer works so well is that the hair shaft is open, due to the process of needing to be opended for the relaxer to work, so this allows the protien to penetrate the hair follicle deeper than it would after you have neutralized your hair. in other words when you neutralize, you close the shaft. so if you put vinegar in the protien step, you are defeating the purpose of doing the protien step before the neutralizer. you would be closing the shaft at the same time you are trying to add protien within the shaft. make sense? i hope i said this right - i am sure there are more knowlegable sisters who could answer this much better than i just did.

:yep::yep:

Not to mention the conditioner itself is helping lower the pH of the hair.