Misadventures of Natural Hair Styling [Lots 'O' Pics]

Don't feel bad hun! I did my first so-called natural style since I'd worn wigs since I BC'd in Jan, I did a twisted bantu-knot out a few wks ago, and it was HORRIBLE! A h.a.m. So, I did another style last weekend, and it came out pretty good.

It could have been better, but I was tired and rushing. I even got a few compliments! I did regular old flat twists secured with rubberbands in the front, and individual twists in the back. It has been lasting very well, and I plan to rock this 2 weeks, then twist-out in the back for 1 wk. Then, I will start over, do it again!

It will get better, trust me! My hair was about 1" longer than yours when I tried my first natural style, noted above. I actually liked your twists, and the box braids especially, and I think if you put perm rods on the ends to give a curly-cue look to them, you would have like it (kinda like curly micro braids or sisterlocs).

I dont have the time or energy to sit and braid my hair like that, or twist my whole head down flat, so kudos just for trying! :yep:

Last edited:
What are you talking about, girl? Your hair looks gorgeous!:rolleyes: I am dying to be able to have a decent set of 2 strand twists and here you are rocking 3 styles.:lol: I really love your flat twist style. For some reason,those are the hardest for me to do. They turn out fuzzy. What's your flat twist method?

I can't even laugh at you. You have no idea how many times my hair has looked a hot, jacked up mess b/c I was trying something new & it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. Heck, I just reached the point where I think my wash & gos look decent w/o me having to add hair accessories to it. My advice is just to keep practicing and trying new things. You are gonna figure out a few styles that you really like. Give yourself a little time & keep a headband & some bobby pins handy for the times when your hair style "betrays" you. :)

I think if you would have added a pretty scarf to pull your hair off of your face and add some hoop earrings, plus a smile, you would be surprise.

I would also like to add that I had many what I thought bad hair days at that length. I slapped on some makeup, smiled and really got postive remarks. If you look unhappy and messed up, other's will see you as unhappy and messed up. Attitude really is everything, fake it until you make it.

I think if you would have added a pretty scarf to pull your hair off of your face and add some hoop earrings, plus a smile, you would be surprise.

I would also like to add that I had many what I thought bad hair days at that length. I slapped on some makeup, smiled and really got postive remarks. If you look unhappy and messed up, other's will see you as unhappy and messed up. Attitude really is everything, fake it until you make it.

I agree. My hair is long and I still have many hair styles that don't turn out as planned. I slap on a headband or some other accessory and act like I meant it to look that way.

Back