Misinformation about Silk Scarves

CenteredGirl

I recently saw a post about silk scarves being on sale at Old Navy. The price was too good to be true so I broke my neck getting over there yesterday. I was dissapointed that they made out of Polyester (based on the label).

I just want to let you guys know that a real 100% silk scarf is very
different from a plain ol' shiny scarf. 100% silk scarves allow your hair to BREATHE underneath. Both are good for smoothing hair but the 100% scarf is better if you are going to walk around with one on your head all day or sleep in it.

That is why silk scarves are a bit more expensive. Make sure you look at the label to see what it is made of. If it's not 100% silk, you know what you are really getting.

ShiShiPooPoo

I used to find 100% silk scarves all the time at T.J Maxx for a couple bucks...not anymore though...most are polyester and the 100% silk ones cost an arm and a leg.

deityofhair

yes they do have some SILK and PLASTIC (polyester) maybe your store was out.
I picked up 2 yesterday with 100% silk on label.

JustKiya

:look: You can usually get a yard of silk from the fabric store for 10-15 bucks (less if you catch it on sale). That's at least 36 X 45, and might be 36 X 60 -both of which are more than big enough for a scarf. Some hem tape, an iron, and 20 minutes of your time - voila! 100% silk Scarf. ;)

PassionFruit

the scarves I got from Old navy had 100% silk on the label... they had other scarves as well...

fabric & care
  • 100% silk.
  • Imported.
details
  • Approximately 24"L x 24"W

they had other scarves that were linen & polyester blends

fabric & care
  • 100% polyester.
  • Imported.
details
  • Approximately 55"L x 10"W

fabric & care
  • 55% linen, 45% cotton.
  • Machine wash.
  • Imported.
details
  • Approximately 75"L x 21"W

prospurr4

:look: You can usually get a yard of silk from the fabric store for 10-15 bucks (less if you catch it on sale). That's at least 36 X 45, and might be 36 X 60 -both of which are more than big enough for a scarf. Some hem tape, an iron, and 20 minutes of your time - voila! 100% silk Scarf. ;)

Exactly! I have a gift card for Joann's fabrics plus a 40% off coupon, so I plan to stop in and get me some 100% silk fabric. I prefer making my own scarves because I make them with extra long tie ends to go around my head twice, kinda like durag ends. When I do this, my scarf never comes off while I sleep.

CenteredGirl

No worries. I didn't see any silk ones at ON. I'll look elsewhere. Just wanna make sure that we are all on the same page. Lord knows, back in the day when I didn't know ANYTHING about hair care, I often brought things I TOUGHT were the real deal but turned out not to be. I hate to waste money.

25Nona

yes they do have some SILK and PLASTIC (polyester) maybe your store was out.
I picked up 2 yesterday with 100% silk on label.

Yep, same here, I went to mine and picked up a few, and they say 100% Silk on the label as well. I did see some other shiner ones that were more of a long rectangular shape that were made of polyester, so when I picked mine out I was sure to watch the label of the ones I chose.

missvi

God is Good!!
Yep, same here, I went to mine and picked up a few, and they say 100% Silk on the label as well. I did see some other shiner ones that were more of a long rectangular shape that were made of polyester, so when I picked mine out I was sure to watch the label of the ones I chose.

Mine say 100% silk, I got 3:yep:

MizAvalon

Mine are 100% Silk, it says so on the label. They were mixed in with 100% Polyester ones though. People that weren't paying attention probaby got fooled unfortunately.

Jassy28

Wow, thats a good idea, I never thought about it, but I will be at the fabric shop this weekend!

Fine 4s

Exactly! I have a gift card for Joann's fabrics plus a 40% off coupon, so I plan to stop in and get me some 100% silk fabric. I prefer making my own scarves because I make them with extra long tie ends to go around my head twice, kinda like durag ends. When I do this, my scarf never comes off while I sleep.

I went to a Joanne's Fabric and they did not have 100% silk material!!!
I'd call before going...

Coffee

I picked up a big ol silk scarf from Marshall's during Xmas season. It had been marked down from $60 to $7, you know I snatched that puppy:lachen:.

scarcity21

yes the long rectangular shinier ones were polyester!!!!!! I love LHCF, y'all got me reading labels and reading ingredients on hair products and such!:yep:

Mine are 100% Silk, it says so on the label. They were mixed in with 100% Polyester ones though. People that weren't paying attention probaby got fooled unfortunately.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ so true, they were mixed in @ the ON i went to, they should seperate them, besides they're a different shape...the polyester ones are shinier and rectangular, the 100% silk ones are square and actually feel different to the touch!

MizAvalon

yes the long rectangular shinier ones were polyester!!!!!! I love LHCF, y'all got me reading labels and reading ingredients on hair products and such!:yep:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ so true, they were mixed in @ the ON i went to, they should seperate them, besides they're a different shape...the polyester ones are shinier and rectangular, the 100% silk ones are square and actually feel different to the touch!

That's how I found out. I was just digging through them so I could see the patterns on the ones in the back and some of them felt "different". I said "Let me look at these labels because some of these cannot be real silk". Sure enough, polyester!:nono:

Riverwalk

All the JoAnn's around here closed - Hancock usually has silk, though.

Okay, I feel really stupid. (about 2 things nonetheless)

I went to Old Navy, and looked all around for the silk scarves, and my Old Navy didn't seem to have them. I asked someone that worked there were "dress" scarves would be located, and all they seemed to have were the very very long scarves. However, this guy didn't seem to know what he was talking about? Are they typically located in the front of the store?

I then went to Jo-ann's and Hancock fabrics and though I found 100% silk, the material seemed really, really hard. Is there a particular 100% silk I should be looking for? Could someone post a pick as to what I should be asking for?

If someone could please help me, I would really appreciate it!! Thanks!!!

BrooklynSouth

I recently saw a post about silk scarves being on sale at Old Navy. The price was too good to be true so I broke my neck getting over there yesterday. I was dissapointed that they made out of Polyester (based on the label).

I just want to let you guys know that a real 100% silk scarf is very
different from a plain ol' shiny scarf. 100% silk scarves allow your hair to BREATHE underneath. Both are good for smoothing hair but the 100% scarf is better if you are going to walk around with one on your head all day or sleep in it.

That is why silk scarves are a bit more expensive. Make sure you look at the label to see what it is made of. If it's not 100% silk, you know what you are really getting.

Miss Centeredgirl..simply go to EBAY..find and buy your silk scarves, later for the shipping costs you still can do well. The best in my buying experience was JINGJING{I miss her sales- I have at least 10 of her silks} but she is no longer a seller; you can still find beautiful, genuine silk scarves there to protect your precious hair.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
How many times can you wrap the ON scraves around ya head? I want a silk scrave but I need that support.:ohwell:

CenteredGirl

I went to Old Navy, and looked all around for the silk scarves, and my Old Navy didn't seem to have them. I asked someone that worked there were "dress" scarves would be located, and all they seemed to have were the very very long scarves. However, this guy didn't seem to know what he was talking about? Are they typically located in the front of the store?

I then went to Jo-ann's and Hancock fabrics and though I found 100% silk, the material seemed really, really hard. Is there a particular 100% silk I should be looking for? Could someone post a pick as to what I should be asking for?

Silk comes in many forms. Some hard, some soft, some chiffon. The silk I brought from JoAnn's was hard also, so I soaked it overnight in Woolite and water. Came out soft as a baby's behind. :grin:

CenteredGirl

Miss Centeredgirl..simply go to EBAY..find and buy your silk scarves, later for the shipping costs you still can do well. The best in my buying experience was JINGJING{I miss her sales- I have at least 10 of her silks} but she is no longer a seller; you can still find beautiful, genuine silk scarves there to protect your precious hair.

You so rock. I went there and alls I can say is "Hallelujah".:yep:

Jetblackhair

I don't know if all Old Navys are set up the same but when I went in, the scarves were to the right near the front on the womens side.

The scarves were hanging up just beneath some beach dresses (long halter tie dresses in blk, green, etc.).

There were about 6 different patterns/color combos. The ones I bought were (1)Green, blue & black; (2)Orange, brown & yellow and (3)Pink, orange & black.

The scarves are 24"x 24", so you can't really wrap it around your head several times. No matter which way I folded it or left as is, I could only get it around my head once.

The price was $14.50 with 40% off.

Women's Printed Square Silk Scarves
Regular Price $14.50 $8.70

HTH