Mistakes made as a natural(for everyone)

empressri

MARCEL IRONS. I wouldn't have had to do a damn second transition and then a mini chop if it wasn't for heat damage.

naturebee

1. Keeping my hair in braids and weaves for 2 years and not taking care of the hair underneath: growth + 10x breakage = no retention :wallbash:

2. Keeping strong protein conditioner in for 1.5 hours :perplexed .....and didn't know why my hair came out in clumps after. I thought all the bad hair was shedding!

3. Avoiding protein conditioners for 1 year and didn't understand why my hair was an overmoisturized, mushy, haven for breakage

4. Playing with my hair waaay too much sometimes

5. Not learning about ingredients in products and how they affect my hair

6. Trying too many products at one time and not being able to isolate and assess the impact of each product

pringe

handling my hair too roughly
doing too many styles just to look "cute"
all that coloring ish smdh
protective styling without tucking away ends
doing puffs and pulling on my hair to an inch of its life so it could be "silky smooth" no bueno

Now i know better so i'll do better. Really been working on health since around October and I feel like its coming along.

Fiyawerks

Hmm. I wet, apply con, apply a leave in, and then apply an oil to seal. Everyday. Shampoo and detangle once a week. I haven't been dc'ing lately. Is this wrong?

This is exactly what I do and I'm seeing major growth, but of course, I'm 2 wks post bc.

i cowash everyday, apply leave in shampoo, seal with coconut oil, and go.

Fiyawerks

The only thing so far is having this image of what my hair suppose to look like. :look:

I'm doing wng until I'm fully 3mos bc, then I'm gonna wear twist extensions for 3 mos...I'm a happy natural.:grin:

Missjae09

I got my hair trimmed way too much while transitioning plus I had some breakage from letting a stylist straighten my hair with a hot comb.

Naturel

1. Mixing baking soda in my daily cowash
2. Not using protein
3. Combing everyday
4. Using henna ( not for my hair)

All these mistakes resulted in big chops over and over. :sad:

iri9109

1. using the wrong scissors for my BC (messed up ends)
2.cowashing everyday (too much manipulation)
3. detangling everytime i co-washed (too much manipulation)
4. i still comb from root to tip, instead of from tip to roots, its a subconscious permie habit (even tho your probably not supposed to comb that way regardless)
5. dry combing/brushing (i forget sometimes, then am quickly reminded)