... mixed hair typed/textured ladies

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

For those of us who have several hair textures & types in your hair

Do you have more trouble with one than the other?

Do you have more breakage? tangles? ssk's? and knots in one than the other?

Is one area more dry than the other?

if so what type/texture does "_____" but the other type/texture does" _____"

(just trying to determine if the SAME PRODUCTS and SAME CARE towards THE SAME HEAD :yep:.....equals different results for most of us ... (dependent on the type or texture going on all up in thru!:look:)

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

my trouble area is the kitchen... i have no clue what type it is but its dry, poofy, and and i cant ever keep it moisturized.

i honestly dont know how to deal with it other than cutting it off. back in the day i used to cut that part off (like getting my kitchen lined up to make it more neat) but now i just let it be as crazy as it wants to be...

but seriously, dont know what to do with it lol

davisbr88

My problem area is the crown, which is a tighter 4a. The rest of my hair is a mix of 3c, loose 4a, and some random waves I don't know how to type.
When I did a series of back-to-back wash-n-gos, the crown was the only section that got SSKs. That section is a bit denser, and is more prone to tangling and snapping. I don't really have a problem with dryness but that section is a bit dryer as well.
It's the reason that I never wash-n-go anymore, and until it grows longer, why I can't wear phony buns or puffs at the crown since it won't be stretched under the hair. I now try to keep my hair as stretched as possible, try to manipulate it at the bare minimum, and am extra careful and gentle with that section. Luckily, I don't find that I need to use different products on that hair as opposed to the rest, but in terms of care, I definitely have had to adjust styles and techniques that work perfectly well with my other hair just because of that section.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

^^^^^ my crown as well

it has a fuyyuuuuin mind of its own... i possibly have 3 types

( i end up doin a ton of cutting in my crown... my skunk area--directly down the center of my head)

this same area that would never ever EVER straighten when relaxed

maybe somebody dropped me as a child:look:

Last edited:

iri9109

my crown is the loosest, and easiest to detangle, but as far as products i use the same thing all over, because while my looser curls could probably do well with lighter products, i know my tighter curls wouldnt like that, but i can use heavier/more moisturizing products on all sections without a problem, and i dont have the time or patience to use different products or techniques on different parts of my head...i treat them the same for styling too for the most part, but i do get paranoid when using heat that my looser curls will be more susceptible to heat damage so the 2 times i used heat i was very careful in that section.

iri9109

oh & at first i thought you meant mixed as in mixed race...you was about to get side-eyed...lol

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

That explains the schizophrenic font of your username...:lachen:

J/k. Schizophrenia is no laughing matter.

who me or you?:look::look::look: i see a VERY reminiscent SIGGY OF MY FONT... soooooo I'M MADONNA? & YOU'RE TRYING TO GAGA ME???:blush::blush::blush::yep: :grin:

me think so:rolleyes:

Naturally SophistAKAted 3c/4a SL
MBL 2011 | That Girl 2011 | HL by Jan 2013 | Workout: 9/200
Blog

hmmmmmmmmmmm seem familiar gaga? :look:

Last edited:

davisbr88

who me or you?:look::look::look: i see VERY reminiscent SIGGY OF MY FONT... soooooo I'M MADONNA? & YOU'RE TRYING TO GAGA ME???:blush::blush::blush::yep: :grin:

me think so:rolleyes:

Naturally SophistAKAted 3c/4a SL
MBL 2011 | That Girl 2011 | HL by Jan 2013 | Workout: 9/200
Blog

hmmmmmmmmmmm seem familiar? :look:

LMAO @ "Gaga" you! She really was impersonating... smh... and I'm a Gaga fan!
And NO, only the "AKA" is capitalized because I am one! And I used pink and green because those are my sorority colors!
:lachen:

CurlyGirl1996

As far as I can tell I have 3 different textures. The front is loose waves, the middle is wavy and the back is coily/kinky with tons of shrinkage. I have the most problems w/ the back. I have not been able to wear my hair out because the back always looks dry no matter what. I moisturize my hair everyday, focusing mostly on the back. I have no problems w/ breakage. It's a hot mess back there. :eh:

Last edited:

nimmy

I have coarse strands as the main bulk of my hair, but the perimeter is mainly fine strands, so this can cause a problem when using heavy products that the rest of my hair needs. Also, since they are my edges they are very fragile and I have to be careful when wearing an updo or bun, they can be put under a lot of tension. So I apply coconut oil to them to keep them strong.

I have a variance of silky and highly textured hair. I've got a mixture of 1a (?? Lol) 2c and mainly 3b/c maybe some 4a hair all over. The straight strands are few, but with my hair being short now, they stick up and cause a problem with styling. It's annoying.

I use the same products on all my hair, but for the finer strands I spritz with water after applying the main product and kind of squeeze off any excess. Finger twisting the looser curls so they blend.
I leave my hair to frizz as it likes, there's not been a product that can control it so far. And I think it looks kinda nice. But I never have second day hair.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I have coarse strands as the main bulk of my hair, but the perimeter is mainly fine strands, so this can cause a problem when using heavy products that the rest of my hair needs. Also, since they are my edges they are very fragile and I have to be careful when wearing an updo or bun, they can be put under a lot of tension. So I apply coconut oil to them to keep them strong.

I have a variance of silky and highly textured hair. I've got a mixture of 1a (?? Lol) 2c and mainly 3b/c maybe some 4a hair all over. The straight strands are few, but with my hair being short now, they stick up and cause a problem with styling. It's annoying.

I use the same products on all my hair, but for the finer strands I spritz with water after applying the main product and kind of squeeze off any excess. Finger twisting the looser curls so they blend.
I leave my hair to frizz as it likes, there's not been a product that can control it so far. And I think it looks kinda nice. But I never have second day hair.

wow!:blush::blush: this is exactly what i meant

i guess i can get over it now :grin::grin: and figure out hold to handle each:spinning:

the biggest problem is the crown that tangles & knots uncontrollably
the rest sits there like:ohwell: come on' son!
pretty much gotta keep this area in braids or something... the rest can hang :look: great style!:perplexed

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

As far as I can tell I have 3 different textures. The front is loose waves, the middle is wavy and the back is coily/kinky with tons of shrinkage. I have the most problems w/ the back. I have not been able to wear my hair out because the back always looks dry no matter what. I moisturize my hair everyday, focusing mostly on the back. I have no problems w/ breakage. It's a hot mess back there. :eh:
:lachen::lachen: yeah hot mess back there

i think i'm the exact opposite

when i BC'd i continued to cut the back from nape to about 1/4 the way up b/c it continued to look straight

now a year later:look: it still looks kinda straight:nono:... i was cutting there for nothing basically, that area has always been the longest and never ever ever had breakage, knots, tangles, or anything really (dear god please don't let it start now:)

no matter if i did everything or nothing to my hair.... swam twice a day whatever
that nape are thrives like nobody's business

it looks kinda 3 ish for sure... and it's the only 3 on my head
3b or 3c i just know it don't curl (naturally) at all... looks like a permanant fly away:yep: i just roll my dauuuum eyes at it and keep going really

Soul♥Flower

My crown area is like a hay brick. If I do WNG's for a while without combing it turns into a baby loc and I have to literally rip it apart. :nono:

There is a section of hair on my right side about 1-2 inches wide that is 3b, at first when I discovered it, I thought it was heat damage but it keeps coming out my scalp that way so :rolleyes:

My nape are is like a 3a I guess big loose curls, smooth strands, and the rest of my hair is 4a.

I don't really do anything different for the textures, I just stick to what works for the most difficult part of may hair and keep it simple.

Iluvsmuhgrass

YES. :look: I've found some weird wavy, some straight, some perfect pen coils, but mostly I'm 4ab/3c. The nape (from my "egg" down) is 3c and it does NOT like heavy products. It will straighten right out. When I wear a puff I have to position my scarf, puff band, etc. high in the back to hold that hair up and out of the way or so that it'll blend with the rest of my puff. :lol: It's lazy and just wants to hang there. It shrinks less than the rest so it gives me that mullet look. My stylist wanted to cut it into a shape. :look: But it was the same length as the other...... yeah..... that was a no go. :nono:

My temples and my crown are 4b, frizzy, dry, low curl pattern... it's more wavy in some areas and tends to tangle and form SSK's if not moisturized regularly. I've learned that certain products (no matter how great they're supposed to be for my grass) cause me to form major SSK's. Sooooo I passed on that and will continue to use what works. This area is fragile and will break if I'm not careful.

Everything else is a blend of 4a. Coils, waves, and u shaped curl patterns. :yep: I love my hair. As long as it's moisturized, it's happy... and if it's happy, I'M HAPPY. :lol:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

My crown area is like a hay brick. If I do WNG's for a while without combing it turns into a baby loc and I have to literally rip it apart. :nono:

There is a section of hair on my right side about 1-2 inches wide that is 3b, at first when I discovered it, I thought it was heat damage but it keeps coming out my scalp that way so :rolleyes:

My nape are is like a 3a I guess big loose curls, smooth strands, and the rest of my hair is 4a.

I don't really do anything different for the textures, I just stick to what works for the most difficult part of may hair and keep it simple.

yes my crown apparently loves DREDS:yep::yep:

perhaps i will sista loc thE CROWN and leave the rest in a limp fro':look:

keepithealthy

The perimeter of my head is 3c. The rest of my hair is 4a. But, the crown is just a poofy mess. It pretends like it wants to wave or something but then it just lies there and frizzes up no matter what I put on it. It is drier than the rest of my hair and tangles more easily. I always had problems with the crown when I was relaxed. It was always the shortest part of my hair and would always break off. I don't really do anything different to that patch than others I just try to reguraly dc.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

The perimeter of my head is 3c. The rest of my hair is 4a. But, the crown is just a poofy mess. It pretends like it wants to wave or something but then it just lies there and frizzes up no matter what I put on it. It is drier than the rest of my hair and tangles more easily. I always had problems with the crown when I was relaxed. It was always the shortest part of my hair and would always break off. I don't really do anything different to that patch than others I just try to reguraly dc.

i think we need to form a support group or sumtin'.....

SISTAS-AGAINST-CROWNS
:look::look:

Honey Bee

I'm dealing with this right now and it is SO sad. :nono: From my crown to my nape, the part of my hair that's 4b, it's dry, frizzy, prone to matting, and on top of all that, it got the nerve to be extra super fine. I've had to cut back from APL now, twice, because that section refuses to catch up. I don't know what to do anymore.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I'm dealing with this right now and it is SO sad. :nono: From my crown to my nape, the part of my hair that's 4b, it's dry, frizzy, prone to matting, and on top of all that, it got the nerve to be extra super fine. I've had to cut back from APL now, twice, because that section refuses to catch up. I don't know what to do anymore.

i think i've decided to pull the ENTIRE CROWN:yep: up into a pony and baggy all day errrryday (fittytyson)

allow the entire perimeter to hang

Last edited:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Oh yeah, dude ... I definitely have confused hair: it doesn't know what it wants to be. Exhibit A:

CHALLENGES:

My 3c hair in the front and sides (and the nape):
  • does not like heavy butters / conditioners at all (it will weigh it down and make it straighten right out and look thinner)
  • easy to detangle
  • does not form single strand knots that easily
  • prone to heat damage easily
  • minimal shrinkage to contend with (but it does shrink probably 25%)
My 4a hair in the back (excluding nape):
  • LOVES any kind of heavy butter / conditioner / cream / oil to help control frizz and dryness
  • more difficult to detangle (still not too bad though)
  • prone to single strand knots
  • laughs in the face of heat and begs for more
  • mad, mad, MAD shrinkage yo (we're talking 50% - 75%)
As would be expected, this scenario creates anarchy on my poor head. Wash-n-gos are difficult to do because the front and sides hang almost to my shoulders, whilst the back shrivels up to my neck. Sooooooooo I end up with a kind of reverse mullet thing happening. Not a good look. :nono:

I'm also a member of the uber dry crown club (where my 4a hair starts). When I was relaxed, this was the ONLY part of my head that consistently broke off even if I looked at it wrong. Very annoying.

MY WORK-AROUNDS:
  • I use the same conditioner for my whole head, but I apply more conditioner and add oils to the back of my head. The front just gets a regular helping of the conditioner only because that's all it needs.
  • When using my steamer or other dryer, I part my hair down the middle and clip each side up going towards the front. That way, the back of my head is more directly exposed to the steam / heat so the conditioner can penetrate the back more. The next time I do that, I'll have to remember to snap a photo.
  • When wearing a wash-n-go, I braid or twist the back while wet and then take it down when it's about 80% dry. The front I just leave alone because it doesn't shrink as much. This method stretches the back enough so that it at least TRIES to have some hang time to somewhat match the front.

So ummmm ... yeah, that's what I'm working with. :drunk::look::ohwell:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Oh yeah, dude ... I definitely have confused hair: it doesn't know what it wants to be. Exhibit A:

CHALLENGES:

My 3c hair in the front and sides (and the nape):
  • does not like heavy butters / conditioners at all (it will weigh it down and make it straighten right out and look thinner)
  • easy to detangle
  • does not form single strand knots that easily
  • prone to heat damage easily
  • minimal shrinkage to contend with (but it does shrink probably 25%)
My 4a hair in the back (excluding nape):
  • LOVES any kind of heavy butter / conditioner / cream / oil to help control frizz and dryness
  • more difficult to detangle (still not too bad though)
  • prone to single strand knots
  • laughs in the face of heat and begs for more
  • mad, mad, MAD shrinkage yo (we're talking 50% - 75%)
As would be expected, this scenario creates anarchy on my poor head. Wash-n-gos are difficult to do because the front and sides hang almost to my shoulders, whilst the back shrivels up to my neck. Sooooooooo I end up with a kind of reverse mullet thing happening. Not a good look. :nono:

I'm also a member of the uber dry crown club (where my 4a hair starts). When I was relaxed, this was the ONLY part of my head that consistently broke off even if I looked at it wrong. Very annoying.

MY WORK-AROUNDS:
  • I use the same conditioner for my whole head, but I apply more conditioner and add oils to the back of my head. The front just gets a regular helping of the conditioner only because that's all it needs.
  • When using my steamer or other dryer, I part my hair down the middle and clip each side up going towards the front. That way, the back of my head is more directly exposed to the steam / heat so the conditioner can penetrate the back more. The next time I do that, I'll have to remember to snap a photo.
  • When wearing a wash-n-go, I braid or twist the back while wet and then take it down when it's about 80% dry. The front I just leave alone because it doesn't shrink as much. This method stretches the back enough so that it at least TRIES to have some hang time to somewhat match the front.

So ummmm ... yeah, that's what I'm working with. :drunk::look::ohwell:

oh-my-god:drunk:! you're as detailed as Nonie
:yep:

i definitely need to get a camera like you guys

wonder what kind kimmay uses .... i wanna shoot some squinting videos soon

thank you so much for posting.... i'd love to see your reverse mullet!

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

nikolite i notice most everyone having the majority of troubles with the FINEST PART OF THEIR HAIR... and my hair is extremely fine

i wonder if this henna will help this over time

nik do you henna? or anything?

Last edited: