Mizani Setting Lotion for "Out" Styles?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I have a lot of questions--it's been about 10 years since I used a setting lotion! Never had luck with them before when relaxed, now I'm gonna try on my natural...

ETA : -How is setting lotion on your twist outs/braid outs? Ever try it?

So from watching YT and being on LHCF I adopted butters, oils and gels for my flat twist or "cornrow" outs.

However, I just bought Mizani Setting Lotion to try with curlformers. Then the thought hit me that it might work on "outs" and maybe get more than 1 day hair. Two days using a butter and/or gel is pushing it.

-Has anyone tried any brand setting lotion for their outs? what were the results?
-Did you use anything else with it? eg, butters, oils, grease
-Was it drying over a few days?

General questions:
-Any reviews on Mizani Setting Lotion?
-Can styling lotions still be effective on almost-dry hair? Wet styled curls look scraggly on my fine hair

TIA LHCF!:drunk:

Last edited:

Leslie_C

I used Elasta QP setting foam on my curlformer set and can get 2 day hair out of it if I pincurl. Im transitioning so I hope when Im natural I can get several day hair like other naturals. I put it on over my usual moisturizing/sealing products (LOC method using leave in, coconut oil, then shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie). I did my set on hair that was nearly dry though bc I didnt want to wait forever for it to dry...it may have given a longer lasting old if I wet set it. I just hate sitting under the dryer and Im not sleeping in those things lol. 2 day hair is as good as it gets for me so far and that is WITH a setting lotion. If I use butters/leave ins alone...it wont even last a full work day...or sometimes my style is gone by the time I get to work even :lol:.

I say do it on semi-dry hair--just lightly mist and then use the setting lotion on top. It gives a very nice, smooth, shiny curlformer set with body and movement.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I should clarify and say "outs" meaning lotion on twist outs and braid outs. Flat Twist outs are my go-to style.

@Leslie_C. Thank you! I think I might try it with a twist out over the weekend on dry/stretched hair. If I don't like it I think I will mist for the next try. Can't wait til I have a WHOLE DAY (I know they take forever to dry!) to try the Mizani with curlformers. It will be my first curlformer set. :) I have the smoothie too, that might come in handy....

and...I'm all natural and rarely ever see 2nd day hair. Don't get yer hopes up. lol :look:

Leslie_C

I should clarify and say "outs" meaning lotion on twist outs and braid outs. Flat Twist outs are my go-to style.

@Leslie_C. Thank you! I think I might try it with a twist out over the weekend on dry/stretched hair. If I don't like it I think I will mist for the next try. Can't wait til I have a WHOLE DAY (I know they take forever to dry!) to try the Mizani with curlformers. It will be my first curlformer set. :) I have the smoothie too, that might come in handy....

and...I'm all natural and rarely ever see 2nd day hair. Don't get yer hopes up. lol :look:

Ive used it on twistouts too with good results! I got my best twistout today though, using a mix of 2 parts eco styler gel to 1 part shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie. Thinking back though, I think the hold was just as good with the setting lotion, but my technique is improving with practice, therefore got a better more uniform set. Still have to work on the back though bc I have a hard time twisting the back with my hands over my head...I have to turn my head to the side lol.

Let me know how it works for you!

ETA you just shot down my dreams of 3,4,5 day hair!!!!!:lol:

PS if you let your hair mostly dry out and then do a curlformer set you can let it finish airdrying in a 2-3 hours. I have a Pibbs dryer but I really despise sitting under the dryer these days lol....I need a comfortable chair to sit in lol.

Last edited: