Moisture for Naturals who press?

lana

Hey Ladies, I was hoping this post would get us "naturals who press" going on the right road to moisturized hair. I was wondering what do you use weekly, daily, etc., to moisturize your hair. I generally wash my hair when it starts to feel dry because if I put my ORS moisturizer in it, then it weighs it down. I love Mango butter with an up style, but it's to heavy for shaky hair. So what do you use? Any suggestions?
lick.gif

I use Nexxus Humectress as my conditioner. Usually on wash day I'll sit with that in my hair for about an hour. I just notice that by day 3 on wash week, my hair is dry.

Any more suggestions? I was hoping that by learning what works for you, I may come up with some ideas for what may work for me.

Nexuss Humectress has protein. This means that you may need to be careful in using this product. I used the shampoo and condition for one month. I did notice that my hair was drier then usual. You may want to try a moisturizing conditioner without protein. I
love.gif
Suave Humecant. I would use the Humectress from Nexuss between moisturizing conditioners. This may prevent dryness. HTH

Ohmygoodness. I read the ingredients and I NEVER knew that it had protein in it! I was hoping for a moisturizing conditioner! Not a protein conditioner that "also" moisturizes. Okay I've learned something new, this could very well be my problem. But let me ask this, does it matter the cost of the ingredients. I splurged and bought Nexxus thinking it was a salon quality product. Also is Humectress from Nexxus different than the moisturizing conditioner?

Now I can't wait to wash my hair again and try this out.

Okay so can anyone suggest a moisturzing conditioner for me? I see now that Nexxus has protein in it and my hair must be starving now for moisture. I'm so sorry head of hair...

Any more suggestions? Is Aubrey Organics Creme Rinse okay? It says on the bottle to leave it in for only 1 minute. I would like to deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Sigh.

When I wash my hair, I put Creme of Nature moisturizing oil on it afterward. When I finish pressing my hair, I just wrap it every night. Every Friday of every week, I grease it with the same oil that I press my hair with, which is Apex pressing oil. I wash my hair every three weeks.

This is a good thread. I got my hair pressed at a salon a few weeks ago and I must say...those were the DRIEST two weeks I've ever experienced! It was fun seeing how long my hair was, but I felt like I couldn't spray my hair and keep that 'look'. I'm so happy to be using my Sta-Sof-Fro again, but I'm going to keep watching this thread because I'd like to see how you all manage.

I moisturize my hair with Surge's Woojee Cream then i'll also use Keracare Silken Seal to hold in the moisture and for shine. I just started using this method this week and i love it, it makes my hair feel so so soft.

Hey ladies, I press my hair once a month and I flat iron other than that. I went to the stylist last week for a professional press and my hair was sooo dry. I mean D-R-Y.(i12sitonmyhair)

I thought when I washed my own hair (which is most of the time) that I was using a moisturizing conditioner but it turns out my conditioner has protein in it. So I know I need a new conditioner without the protein. I'm still looking for suggestions on that...(hint, hint)

I have Surge's Woojee Cream but I notice that if I use that I only stay moisturized for that night or day but a few hours later I'm dry again. I don't like to put too much on my hair cause I wear it down a lot, and to much product (of any product) will weigh it down.

I think this is a great thread and I hope more naturals will respond.

By the way I love my silk scarf, it never slips off, but if I'm not putting anything on my hair to encourage moisture, it won't be able to do its job...(sigh)

I can't find Keracare Silken Seal in any stores near me. Do you have a substitute Ericka? Something else you might use to seal in moisture?

I don't know if there really is such a thing as "moisturized" pressed hair. My pressed hair usually feels kind of dry by the second or third day after pressing it. I've tried mango butter, Neutrogena serum, kemi oyl, Liv hair creme, ORS olive oil. All of those things help with the shine, but none of them really make my hair feel moisturized.

Sleeping in my silk scarf definitely does help my hair stay in better shape than when I don't sleep in it. But other than that, I'm not sure what the solution is.

Achieving moisturized, pressed hair is a little difficult because in order for natural hair to stay straight, it can't come in contact with moisture (via a water-based product) after the pressing. It a water-based prodcut touches pressed hair, it reverts
frown.gif

So, my solution is to make sure that my hair gets a REALLY good deep conditioning so that it's is moisturized before the pressing. Some of my fave conditioners are Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, Lustrasilk Cholesterol w/ Aloe (plus a little cholesterol), and Miss Key 10 en 1
smile.gif
After deep conditioning, I spray on a leave in (Motions Nourish) and then apply some serum to seal in the moisture (Fantasia IC Hair Polish). If I have time, I'll airdry in braids, but usually I then blowdry. After blowdrying, my hair is still soft to the touch. Then I press with my FHI. At this point my hair is still soft, and it stays that way without me adding any more products for at least 4-5 days. After that, I add a light oil just to ensure that my hair stays pliable.
smile.gif
I've found that even though I don't add water-based products to my hair after pressing, the deep conditioning prepares it for all the heat and generally keeps it in a healthy state for the week I wear the press
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:
Achieving moisturized, pressed hair is a little difficult because in order for natural hair to stay straight, it can't come in contact with moisture (via a water-based product) after the pressing. It a water-based prodcut touches pressed hair, it reverts
frown.gif

So, my solution is to make sure that my hair gets a REALLY good deep conditioning so that it's is moisturized before the pressing. Some of my fave conditioners are Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, Lustrasilk Cholesterol w/ Aloe (plus a little cholesterol), and Miss Key 10 en 1
smile.gif
After deep conditioning, I spray on a leave in (Motions Nourish) and then apply some serum to seal in the moisture (Fantasia IC Hair Polish). If I have time, I'll airdry in braids, but usually I then blowdry. After blowdrying, my hair is still soft to the touch. Then I press with my FHI. At this point my hair is still soft, and it stays that way without me adding any more products for at least 4-5 days. After that, I add a light oil just to ensure that my hair stays pliable.
smile.gif
I've found that even though I don't add water-based products to my hair after pressing, the deep conditioning prepares it for all the heat and generally keeps it in a healthy state for the week I wear the press
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

great advice
smile.gif
Ill have to remember this

I used Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme Moisturizer only on the ends of my hair to moisturize it and then I "roll" my hair using hard plastic rollers. The next day the hair is moisturized and "straight" no reversion at all.

[ QUOTE ]
PhonyBaloney500 said:
Why do folks press rather than blow dry?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people like myself want to tone down the thickness and bulk. A blowdryer makes my hair more fluffed out than str8
smile.gif
.The only way my hair can get somewhat str8 with a dryer is if a professional does it.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
I don't know if there really is such a thing as "moisturized" pressed hair. My pressed hair usually feels kind of dry by the second or third day after pressing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.

I don't know of a foolproof way to moisturize hair after it's been pressed either. Pressed hair can be lubricated with oils without reverting but not moisturized.

So the best thing to do is

[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:
...make sure that...hair gets a REALLY good deep conditioning so that it's is moisturized before the pressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

I don't know if this will help you because I'm doing the "phony tail" right now which means my hair is smoothed back, but here goes....

I use worlds of curls gel, mixed with a little S-Curl Gel. Then I rub that through, use a brush just to "smooth" my hair back. And take a little teensy bit of that brown gel (I NEVER thought I'd use that mess) for the edges. I tie a doo-rag around the parts that I want straight then I blow dry on low (blow dry with doo rag on).

When I take off the doo rag, viola! Hair is smoothed back, and still straight.

HTH

Tara

miss brown thanks for your suggestions, I think I'm going to try the Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner if I can find it near me. I have the Fantasia IC Hair Polish and I didn't realize that I could use that as a serum to seal in moisture. I am so glad that so many people wanted to talk about this issue. Thanks guys, and if you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.
wink.gif

It's very difficult to keep pressed hair moisturized, but if you don't need it to be "bone straight" you can try spritzing ever so lightly with water and following with oil to seal the moisture in. I do this when my hair is pressed, and then tie my hair down and use hard rollers on the ends to keep it straight. You could also try wrapping afterwards as that will also help it to stay straight.

Well I'm going to wash my hair tomorrow with a moisturizing conditioner after my shampoo, and I'll see what happens. I really like all the suggestions, and its nice to see there are other ladies out there in the same boat. I used a little hot six oil on my hair last night before I wrapped it after I spritzed it with some water and this morning it doesn't feel dry, but it did retain the press. I guess that's something. I don't need my hair bone straight, I find that when I straighten it all the way I hate how flat it looks. My pressed hair can look straighter than my perms ever did. So I'm careful and usually leave some curl at the roots. Lately though I've only been flatironing my hair with my ceramic flat iron and it works wonders. It even straightens my edges! And that's a fact.

The only thing I wish I didn't have to do was blow dry my hair, but the few times I've airdryed it, its been dull and dry, almost brittle. And lets not talk about coming through that....please!

Run quickly to Wal-mart and pick up Cantu Shea Soft grow strong strengthening treatment.

I picked it up on a whim and it will now be replacing my elasta QP mango butter (it was actually 10 cents less). Cantu has a very light and creamy texture and really makes my hair soft. I feel like it is actually moisturizing my hair rather than just coating it. I have been using Surge on my edges. After Surging I immediately apply the Cantu to my edges (which are wet with surge), smooth them, and tie down with a scarf. The next morning I have soft wavy edges. It's not greasy at all. As a bonus the container says it protects hair from heat damage

I went back and bought the remaining two on the shelf because I liked it so much.

Back