MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER W/O PROTEIN

princessdi

I am in search of a great moisturizing conditioner without the addition of some sort of protein, or one that softens, replenishes, and moisturizes without being for the benefit of damaged hair. I now have my hair in good condition, and I no longer need products for damaged hair (at least not on the regular basis); however, I still want to maintain the moisture in my hair and add protein only when needed. Does anyone know of a good moisturizing deep conditioner/daily conditioner that I can use that is not specifically for damaged hair?

The only product that I know of that comes to mind is Neutrogena Silk Touch. Can you think of any others that may not be that expensive? I love Neutrogena (daily conditioner and mask); however, you don’t get much in the container for the price.

Thanks for your help!

I use and love Mizani Moisturefuse and Aussie Moist or Aussie Smooth. Those two are in heavy rotation for my hair:grin:

I use and love Mizani Moisturefuse and Aussie Moist or Aussie Smooth. Those two are in heavy rotation for my hair:grin:

IMO I found that Mizani Moisturefuse is "okay" and is expensive. Off the top of my head, Elasta QP is very moisturizing, doesn't contain protein and is easy on the pocket.

I used redken butter treat this morning after my awful try at color...it was pretty good... i loved the consitency and the slip...and it's great as a leave in...

IMO I found that Mizani Moisturefuse is "okay" and is expensive. Off the top of my head, Elasta QP is very moisturizing, doesn't contain protein and is easy on the pocket.

Not sure how much you’re paying for Mizani, but around me, I get it for $9.99 and I get really good discounts at Ulta when they have their 20% coupons, so not that expensive at all.

Keracare Humecto is decent if you must have something without protein.

re: above posts--Moisturefuse and Elasta both have protein in them (unless formulas have changed Mizani has wheat and Elasta has silk)

My three faves are Nexxus Humectress or Humectin, Kenra MC, and AO HSR. They've changed my hair forever.

Sally's Silk Elements Megasilk and the SE Cholestoral are very moisturizing! I don't think they contain protein.

Hair One Olive Oil conditioner has wheat protein way down on the list and its SUPA DUPA moisturizing. :lick::yep: On sale at Sally's now for $9.99.

Have you tried Giovanni 50:50 balanced hydrating-calming conditioner? This
conditioner put the moisture back in my hair. It has plant extracts and oils in it, but no keratin, or heavy proteins. I tried it on a whim, I was looking for a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner for my relaxed hair; saw this on the shelf at Whole Foods, and really liked the way the label read. Gave it a try, and have been using it ever since! It has really upped my moisture level! The added bonus is that the shampoo moisturizes and clarifys, and is sulfate free!!

I know searching for a moisturizing “good” moisturizing conditioner w/o protein is asking a lot; however, I currently have protein overload and I have to recoup from that, so that’s why I don’t want to use anymore products that contain protein right now.

However, I love Mizani Moisturefuse and will probably re-purchase that in the 64 oz. container at a later date. It normally costs about $40 but last me a long time and it works really well on my hair. I currently have a small container of the Aussie Moist; however, I haven’t noticed anything special about it and probably will not purchase again. Since I’ve heard so many great reviews about Elasta QP’s moisturizing conditioner, I’d like to try that and the prices are right up my alley for use on a daily basis. I’d also like to try the Redken Butter, but it too, is too expensive for the amount that you get. I’ve tried the Keracare Humecto and didn’t especially like that. It really did nothing for my hair compared to Mizani.

As far as the proteins go, the product can contain light proteins, and correct, me if I’m wrong but I think the silk proteins are light. Is that correct? I’m not really sure about the wheat protein, but after I get my hair back to normal state (no protein overload), I can use these products again.

I’d love to try Karen’s Body Beautiful Deep Conditioner; however, $$$$$$$. I also love the Nexxus products; however, they can get pretty expensive too. I have been buying Suave’s version of Nexxus Humectant and it works great for me. A big container is usually around $5.

Re: the Pantene ProV mask? I love this stuff and have plenty at home, but doesn’t it contain some type of protein since it’s for damaged hair? Hair One (on sale?), I’ll have to try this, and no I haven’t tried Giovanni’s 50:50 balanced hydrating-calming conditioner, but I just read the ingredients and think it’s something that I will be trying soon. I have the AO Honey Suckle Rose and seem to like AO’s GPB better.

and, last but not least, yes, homemade products count too. If I can make it and have it work wonders for my protein ridden strands, I’ll take it. I currently blend Avocado, EVOO, and Honey and apply it to my hair. It seems to work great. I’ve been meaning to put coconut milk in my hair and sit under the dryer with a bag, but haven’t done that yet. I did this a long time ago and I think I remember liking how it made my hair feel; however, I don’t remember the benefit of it. Has anyone done this? If so, can you tell me if this moisturizes and strengthens the hair?

Thanks to all of you who responded. They are all good responses.

I depend on my leave-ins to give lasting moisturization to my hair without the often protein breakage. My favorites are NEXXUS HEADDRESS and DR. BRONNERS'S MAGIC LAVENDER COCONUT. Dr. B's is amazingly long lasting for moisture after I do an EQYSS AVOCADO SPRITZ. DR. BRONNER'S MAGIC Contents: WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT OIL,ORGANIC, DENATURED ETHANOL WITH organic lavender oil, ORGANIC JOJOBA OIL, ORGANIC HEMP OIL, ORGANIC QUILLAJA EXTRACT,TOCOPHEROLS. Not too familiar with the quillaja but the product in general is so good for keeping my twists moist all day long.

The Nexxus has keratin and the Kenra has wheat protein. AO HSR is a great choice.

Kenra and Mizani have wheat protein. But wheat protein is a humectant, not a reconstructor. Keratin is the only protein known to reconstruct the bonds similar to the ones found in your hair naturally, but when humectant proteins bond to your hair they make temporary bonds that hold in moisture because of the the unique H and O tails they have. Keratin does not have this bond and does not hold in moisture or pull in moisture.

http://www.kenra.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ID=22

wheat protein is the jump off of dry hair. soy and silk protein are also humectant proteins, but keratin is the devil to me right now. i'm suffering from protein overload as well.

I can't get far enough away from keratin.

I love my Silicon Mix and consider it to be a moisturizing conditioner but it does have keratin in it though I think its far down the list. Luscious Locks, your post has me thinking.

I used both WEN and Hair One cleansing conditioners (cheper version of WEN). I suffered from moisture overload recently because of HairOne, so it's very moisturizing.

Aubrey Organics White Camellia and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose are my two staple moisturizing conditioners. I love using the white camellia for co-washes because it's so light and leaves my hair so smooth and moisturized, and I use the AOHSR for DC'ing because it's heavier and moisturizes like no other conditioner I've tried. Third place goes to Giovanni 50:50 Balanced conditioner.

Back