Moisturizing & Conditioning: Is the purpose just to keep hair WET? Opposite of dry?

fluffylocks

Can we really ever "moisturize" our hair? Arent we just wetting it, and re-wetting it constantly? In between time isnt our hair "dry"?

As i've stated before, the only moisturizers and conditoners that work for me or keep my hair soft silky ect. have a high amount of humecants in them because they constantly attract moisture.

Other conditoners and moisturizers do nothing but wet my hair, then i rinse the conditoner off or the moisturizer dries, and my hair is dry again, not any more "moisturized", only for that moment when the product was on. (maybe the oils and such in the condtioner/moisturizer leave it feeling or looking alittle better)

Regular moisturizers dont even last that long, which is why people moisturize daily and twice daily.

So if you dont baggy alot, use a moisturizer with humecants, wash daily
If your someone who moisturizes 1-2x daily
In the meantime, is your hair actually "moisturized" internally?

Or

Is your hair "dry", and will be "moisturized" again when you wet it with your moisturizer
BUT, in a better condition and healthy because your hair is getting "moisturized" often?

Forgive me im slow, just trying to understand.
This whole time i've been looking for something to keep my hair soft, make it silky.
If all we're doing is wetting our hair...:ohwell:

krikit96

Re: Moisturizing & Conditioning: Is the purpose just to keep hair WET? Opposite of dr

:bump::bump:
Good QUESTION!!! I've come to that conclusion that moisturizing lotions are just for the moment...

naturalgurl

Re: Moisturizing & Conditioning: Is the purpose just to keep hair WET? Opposite of dr

Let me try. Water is moisture absolute. That's why moisturizing conditioners and what not use lots of humectants to attract the moisture(water) from the air. As you know, air has oxygen which what I believe your hair actually needs. Water has oxygen and that's what makes me think this. I'm no scientist. Anyway, did you know that honey and glycerin are natural humectants??? So the moisture gets absorbed and penetrates the shaft. This provides resilliency(stretchyness). Since water evaporates this is probably why you have to constantly moisturize dry hair or add something to the hair to constantly attract water(moisture) from the air. I wet my hair every day. The bonus of that is I'm getting PURE MOISTURE daily instead of adding humectant products(not the natural stuff) with additives which causes build up thus blocking pores and who knows what else. After wetting I seal with wonderful oils such as coconut. On days I feel the need to have a humectant I use my glycerin/aloe/water mix. Did I confuse you??? These are just my opinions and my experience with moisture so see what's good for your hair.

ETA~ This is why sealing in moisture is important, because water evaporates and sealants(such as oils) sort of holds in the water for a longer period.

Last edited:

lexi84

Good Question! I always thought moisturizing my hair twice daily was, in a sense, a "pre-emptive strike." Whereas it fights dryness before it happens. If I moisturize my hair in the morning, my hair is still moisturized that night when i take my hair down. Its never damp or wet just soft and silky.

My feeling is this: if my hair were "wet" from my moisturizers, wouldnt it revert after I straighten it? I think moisturizers add just enough moisture to allow for the right amount of elasticity but not too much to make it wet....just my thoughts. :grin:

fluffylocks

Let me try. Water is moisture absolute. That's why moisturizing conditioners and what not use lots of humectants to attract the moisture(water) from the air. As you know, air has oxygen which what I believe your hair actually needs. Water has oxygen and that's what makes me think this. I'm no scientist. Anyway, did you know that honey and glycerin are natural humectants??? So the moisture gets absorbed and penetrates the shaft. This provides resilliency(stretchyness). Since water evaporates this is probably why you have to constantly moisturize dry hair or add something to the hair to constantly attract water(moisture) from the air. I wet my hair every day. The bonus of that is I'm getting PURE MOISTURE daily instead of adding humectant products(not the natural stuff) with additives which causes build up thus blocking pores and who knows what else. After wetting I seal with wonderful oils such as coconut. On days I feel the need to have a humectant I use my glycerin/aloe/water mix. Did I confuse you??? These are just my opinions and my experience with moisture so see what's good for your hair.

ETA~ This is why sealing in moisture is important, because water evaporates and sealants(such as oils) sort of holds in the water for a longer period.

Wow i never knew hair needed oxygen...
Yep, glycerin is my favorite humecant.

But this is what im saying...
A humecant moisturizer is going to keep attracting moisture

But a regular moisturizer is going to evarporate...You can keep your hair wet longer by using oils to seal or by baggying....

But is our hair itself ever moisturized? Isnt it just wet? Then it dries...you wet it again?

naturalgurl

Wow i never knew hair needed oxygen...
Yep, glycerin is my favorite humecant.

But this is what im saying...
A humecant moisturizer is going to keep attracting moisture

But a regular moisturizer is going to evarporate...You can keep your hair wet longer by using oils to seal or by baggying....

But is our hair itself ever moisturized? Isnt it just wet? Then it dries...you wet it again?
Yep, your body in general needs oxygen for cellular regeneration amongst other things. Water is just liquid air. Air is dry water. Oxygen being their common component. ETA~ water is the "carrier" for oxygen to get absorbed into the hair shaft. I guess that hydrogen molecule breaks down the oxygen to be even smaller. Who knows, any chemist out there can chime in at any time.

Our hair does absorb some water and keeps it, otherwise everyone's hair would be straw and break on the dime. Some moisture has to be retained, but the hair itself is not wet. The wetness, in my opinion is the overflow of what couldn't be absorbed right then and there, then evaporated. Again, just my opinion.

fluffylocks

Good Question! I always thought moisturizing my hair twice daily was, in a sense, a "pre-emptive strike." Whereas it fights dryness before it happens. If I moisturize my hair in the morning, my hair is still moisturized that night when i take my hair down. Its never damp or wet just soft and silky.

My feeling is this: if my hair were "wet" from my moisturizers, wouldnt it revert after I straighten it? I think moisturizers add just enough moisture to allow for the right amount of elasticity but not too much to make it wet....just my thoughts. :grin:

Okay....And thats what made me ask.

Becuase no moisturizers without humecants make my hair soft and silky at all. So i was trying to figure this out and start thinking if it was because glycerin ones are attratcing moisture all day....

But do you think these two are possible?

That the water evaporates and the oils and other ingredients in the product keep your hair soft/silky?

Or that even though your hair is not physically "damp" (do you use a thick moisturizer and alittle bit of it?) the moisturizer itself "moisturizes/wets" and seals your hair for a long time?

fluffylocks

Yep, your body in general needs oxygen for cellular regeneration amongst other things. Water is just liquid air. Air is dry water. Oxygen being their common component. ETA~ water is the "carrier" for oxygen to get absorbed into the hair shaft. I guess that hydrogen molecule breaks down the oxygen to be even smaller. Who knows, any chemist out there can chime in at any time.

Our hair does absorb some water and keeps it, otherwise everyone's hair would be straw and break on the dime. Some moisture has to be retained, but the hair itself is not wet. The wetness, in my opinion is the overflow of what couldn't be absorbed right then and there, then evaporated. Again, just my opinion.

OOOOOOOK.

So this is what im thinking....

The result of moisturized hair is soft, silky ect. ect.

Everyone's hair needs to retain a different amount of moisture, and keeps it for different periods of time depending on porosity, cuticles, your hair ect.

Therefore everyone is different when it comes to what they have to use, how much, and how often when it comes to moisturizing hair.

In my case i have extremely coarse hair, with cuticles i have to work with more to keep closed and smooth....Which must mean moisture doesnt stay in my hair very much at all which is why humecants seem to be the only thing that works in giving me the results of moisturized hair. :spinning:

cocopuff06

This may be going a bit left field.... so forgive me in advanced... but since we are one the topic of moisture and how to really add moisture to your hair, how do you moisturize natural hair that is pressed/flat- ironed/ blown straight? Since water is a key component of moisturizers and humecants attract moisure from the air, how will your hair NOT revert when moisturized?

charmtreese

My new take on daily moisturizers is that they are not necessary, if you condition regularly. Daily moisturizers tend to dry my hair out more, then daily sealing. What has worked for me is using oils or butters on my hair daily between washes. My favorite oils are Ojon restorative treatment (works great on NG and imparts lots of shine) and Castor oil (which is also a humectant) for my ends.

Your hair should retain all the moisture it needs after you wash and condition it, the key is keeping it there so you will not have to replenish it with sub par commercial moisturizers and the way to do that is to keep the moisture from escaping.

My hair couldn't be happier, softer, and more moisturize now that I only use oils and butters!

fluffylocks

My new take on daily moisturizers is that they are not necessary, if you condition regularly. Daily moisturizers tend to dry my hair out more, then daily sealing. What has worked for me is using oils or butters on my hair daily between washes. My favorite oils are Ojon restorative treatment (works great on NG and imparts lots of shine) and Castor oil (which is also a humectant) for my ends.

Your hair should retain all the moisture it needs after you wash and condition it, the key is keeping it there so you will not have to replenish it with sub par commercial moisturizers and the way to do that is to keep the moisture from escaping.

My hair couldn't be happier, softer, and more moisturize now that I only use oils and butters!

Thats what i've been thinking/doing as well!

fluffylocks

This may be going a bit left field.... so forgive me in advanced... but since we are one the topic of moisture and how to really add moisture to your hair, how do you moisturize natural hair that is pressed/flat- ironed/ blown straight? Since water is a key component of moisturizers and humecants attract moisure from the air, how will your hair NOT revert when moisturized?

I think alot of people said they avoid moisturizers? I personally would try castor oil or a butter that attracted alittle moisture.

SexyCap

Castor oil is too heavy and sticky for my hair. If I just put oil/butter on my hair I would have dry oily hair. I've tried it with prepoos. I put straight olive oil on my hair and it felt more moisturized at first but once the majority of the hair dried, it just felt dry and oily. I have to put some type of water-based mixture on my hair first. I find that humectants are bad for me too. It could be the dry environment, I will try glycerin and honey once I get to a more temperate or humid environment. Right now, I tend to just leave some non-protein conditioner in and my hair feels best after it dries. If I decide to baggy after my cowash, I will use a humectant mix and seal with an oil. I only do this if my hair feels extra dry because it makes it temporarily mushy. It does bring out the curls though.

"D"

chebaby

i moisturize my hair twice daily not because i need to but because i wear my hair out everyday and the creme and oil i put on my ends keep it from snagging on my shirts. when i moisturize and seal my hair i really dont have to do so again for another 2 days or so. but then again my hair is fine so it doesnt take much. alway i wash and deep condition my hair every week and i use like 3 different leave ins so my hair is always moisturized. maybe your hair is one that needs everything to have lots of water in it. my hair isnt like that.

chebaby

i know plenty of naturals that straighten and moisturize and their hair does not revert. it depends on what your hair likes. you could use butters and oils and all type of moisturizers.