Moisturizing requires globs of product

sonychari

Do any of you also have to use globs of product before your hair will feel moisturized? I had been moisturizing my hair often, at least once a day, but it always still felt dry. I hadn't been able to get that soft, supple, moisturized feeling.

For some reason I have it in my mind that I'm not supposed to put too much product in my hair and that it should get soft and supple by putting about a quarter sized amount of moisturizer on each section of hair (about four to six sections) and then sealing. My hair isn't very long yet--it's about a couple inches from APL.

But since the small amount of product wasn't working I decided to just load it in. Now my hair is soft and supple the way I want it, but somehow I feel like i'm doing something wrong if it takes so much product before my hair feels moisturized. But maybe it doesn't matter since I wear it in a ponytail or clipped up all the time anyway?

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I would only need globs of product if it was time to clarify my hair. Globs of product can build up on the strands prevent moisture from entering the cortex.

Also, does your hair feel dry after deep conditioning? Perhaps your products are not working as well as they can for your hair.

SimJam

I dont think we should need globs of product for anything (except for henna lol, I just go overboard with the stuff)

Ive never needed lots of product to feel their effects, and after using terresentials mud wash, I now need even less product.

however, since this is working for you ... then stick with it :yep:

sonychari

NappyNelle I usually don't use much product at all. I clarify with Kenra's chelating poo and even after I've clarified my hair will feel kind of dry if I only use just a small amount of moisturizer. And yep, it even feels that way after I deep condition.

Bublin

I felt like this until i realised i had protein overload and it doesn't like glycerin too high up on the list. I had to keep loading my hair with product for it to feel moisturised.

I then started using Keracare (mid priced moisture products) and i only needed to use a small amount of product for my hair to feel moisturised.

Maybe there is an ingredient your hair doesn't like.

sonychari

@Bulbin, protein overload could be the problem. I use a reconstructor each week for my DC. Which KeraCare moisturizer do you use? I tried the hydrating and detanglinh shampoo from that line and it was pretty good.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
It could be a number of things but the few the comes to mind quickest:
-your product choices are not right for your hair
-porosity issue
-protein/moisture imbalance
-need to clarify

Bublin

@Bulbin, protein overload could be the problem. I use a reconstructor each week for my DC. Which KeraCare moisturizer do you use? I tried the hydrating and detanglinh shampoo from that line and it was pretty good.

@sonychari a reconstructor is protein based. I have used these since I bc to all natural in July and i'm mad at myself for only realising this until recently. Everyone advises you to up your protein if you are experiencing breakage but i have found i was using too much protein and not even realising it.

I too use the Keracare Hydrating shampoo or the CON Argan Oil Shampoo, both are very moisturising. I use the Keracare Humecto Conditioner and my hair instantly felt different. Too long i have rinsed out my condish to have rough/tangled hair - i just thought that was my hair type :drunk:. The Humecto should leave your hair feeling very soft, if protein overload is your problem.

I then use the Keracare Leave-in (really only need a small amount) and seal with my oils. I use the Hairdress as a moisturiser but it is very heavy and am on the look out for something lighter. However all of Keracare's line is moisture-based.

If i need to wet my hair to re-twist or braid a night then i will spritz with water mixed with a tiny amount of the Leave-in and some rosemary oil.

Oh and i use AO Honeysuckle Rose as a moisture pre-poo.

I can only recommend Keracare or CON Argan Oil lines as those are the only two moisturising products i have used in the last few weeks of me ditching the protein-laden products.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
lol @ glob! Is that like a handful or just more than the usual dime size everyone always talking about? lol

For me, dime size is for the birds. I need more than the usual to get moisturized hair because I have thick hair, not fine strands. Maybe its normal for you as well. :)

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm just generally heavy-handed product user.

Not that I feel I 'need' to. I just 'like to':lick:

And I'm not a dime-size type of Girl.:lol:

sonychari

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES! :heart:

divachyk, you could be right that my product choices are off. I've been searching and searching for a good moisturizing leave-in and I have yet to find any that satisfy me. I probably need to begin trying some of the moisturizers from the online shops like darcy's, hairveda, etc. and like I was discussing with Bublin, it probably is a protein problem too.

Bublin, I actually happen to have a huge tub of Humecto and you're right, I've been so busy trying to step-up my protein DCs that I have neglected to do DCs that moisturize. I'm going to DC with the Humecto tomorrow and let you know how that works for me.

pre_medicalrulz, lol, I have been using probably 4oz of product after I wash and DC to initially get my hair to feel moisturized and then I can use a little less each day until the next wash day

@ IDareT'sHair, lol, I like product too but at this point I really do NEED it for my hair to feel moisturized at all.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@sonychari You might need to clarify. :yep:

Experiment with some different Lotions, Cremes, Butters from what you've normally been using. Moisturizing & Sealing (with a light oil).

And have you tried Baggying? When my Hair feels extra dry, I'll baggy. (I'm relaxed) and it helps out with moisture retention.

I M&S twice a day because I am under a wig & durag. Sometimes I'll use a Spritz to refresh and for moisture.

ETA: I see you've been using quite a bit of 'protein'. It's easy to get out of balance. Increase your moisture.

sonychari

blueberryd and IDareT'sHair, when do you all use the baggy. I have seen several posts where Nonie says she goes to bed with a baggy on each night. I've tried baggying at night and didn't like it :nono:. I woke up with wet hair that I just know was from sweat :ohwell:.

I could do it during the day though if I only need to keep it on for a short period of time. How long do y'all keep the baggy on when y'all baggy?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@sonychari Naw, I can't sleep in no baggy!:nono:....:lol:

If I feel my hair (NG) is extra crispy dry, I'll spritz, put on a moisture creme and a little oil, in the evenings after work.:yep:

I'll leave it on a few hours while I'm on LHCF or watching tv. Then I'll tie it up for the night.

I've found I don't have to do it 'often' but I know when I need to do it.

This may help you get your "Balance" back on point.

It shouldn't feel 'wet'. But moist.:yep:

Nonie

@sonychari, I can go wear a baggy 24/7 w/o any qualms. I only take it off to play with my hair while watching TV otherwise, I can go a whole week wearing headwraps in the day or hats and I'll wear a baggy all night for bed and all day under my head gear. I don't use any products though and I'm not a heavy sweat-er, so my hair just feels moist not wet.

ETA: I thought yours @sonychari might be a porosity issue too just like @divachyk did.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@sonychari Have you thought about Porosity?

@Nonie brings up an excellent point. I missed @divachyk mentioning of Porosity Issues.

When I started my HHJ I had Overly Porous hair from Over/Double Processing (Relaxer & Color) so my hair was unable to attract & retain moisture. Lifted Cuticle, the whole 9.

I had to come in and 'fix' (work on) my severe Porosity issue(s), and Overly Porous Hair by making sure I was closing my cuticle after DC'ing (especially with heat).

So, I introduced lower ph balanced products into my regimen to ensure that my hair was retaining moisture.

And I always use a Porosity Controlled product as a final rinse. I use (no particular order):

Roux Porosity Control
Nexxus Ensure
Hairveda's Apple Cider Vinegar Phinsing Rinse
Bear Fruit Hair's Shine Rinse

@divachyk may be able to speak specifically about low porosity.

sonychari

Nonie, thanks for showing up to respond :wave:! Maybe I put too much product on when I tried it...or maybe it was because it was summer and I'm too cheap to put the A/C at a decent temperature :lachen: What type of porosity issue? Do you think that the protein DCs I have been doing have given me porosity that is too low, making it difficult to moisturize? If so, should I continue what I'm doing and just moisturize more, since low porosity is a "good" thing? TIA.

sonychari

IDareT'sHair, thanks! I think I might have a low porosity problem. Most of the products that I have been using lately are ph balanced around 4.5 and are meant to seal the cuticle i.e. Affirm's 5 in 1 and Positive Link.

divachyk and Nonie, do you two think I have low porosity? Is it something I need to fix?

Nonie

sonychari it could be either/or. Low porosity hair is hard to moisturize, hard to get wet, hard to dry once moisturized. High porosity hair is hard to keep moisturize, gets wet fast but dries just as fast. So we'd have to know more about your hair to know which one may be your problem. divachyk is the expert on low porosity so she can share what you need to do.

I use a reconstructor once a week too and I don't think that would cause problems. I don't know much about products but there are products like Creme of Nature that just coated my hair in a way that made it hard to moisturize. They also gave my hair a funny grayish hue and my hair would feel hard after I rinsed out the shampoo. Since I don't know about the products you use, I can't really give any info on them but if any of them are like CON shampoo, then you may have the problem I had. As Bublin said, maybe your hair doesn't really like the products you're using. Maybe you need to try something new and see.

Have you ever done the porosity sink/float test on a clean strand of hair? Finding out your porosity will also help you start to get to the bottom of what the problem may be.

sonychari

Nonie, thank you. I think it might be a combination of the two. It could be a low porosity problem because once I put a BUNCH of moisturizer in my hair, it feels fine...it doesn't dry out after that. And it does take a while for it to dry. But I definitely want to try some new products because even if I have low porosity, I don't think it should take as much product as i'm using in order for my hair to feel moisturized.

divachyk

sonychari, I have an entry in my LHCF blog about low porosity -- check it out and let me know if you have questions.

When I first started my HHJ, I was doing everything right but my hair was dry and my ends were brittle/bushy. I was moisturizing, sealing and baggying to no moisturizing avail. All I knew was that my hair took forever to get wet when in the shower and never stayed moisturized throughout the week. I ran across threads on porosity and conducted the wet strand test on my hair like Nonie mentioned. My strand of hair floated for days, never sinking to the bottom. That indicated I have low porosity.

I changed up a few things in my regi and received great results -
1) Steam hair weekly
2) Cowash as needed for added mid-week moisture
3) Use quality hair products (no longer use cheapie prods)
4) Little to no -cone usage
5) Water filter in shower
6) Stopped using Roux PC because that only closed my cuticles tighter and further prevented moisture from penetrating

The one moisturizer that my hair likes regardless if it's wet, dry, air dried or heat styled is Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer. There are other moisturizers that do a good job but they only seem to work when my hair is heat styled (roller set or flat ironed). My air dried hair laughs at those other moisturizers. Bee Mine is the only one that works on my hair 24/7 no matter the weather climate/season or how my hair is styled. Kenra is my staple DC. I love others but Kenra is my go-to that gets my hair in check when nothing else will.

Nonie

@sonychari, just because it made sense to me, I once suggested to someone using a baking soda rinse just before conditioning. I don't remember if that worked for her, but I'll see if I can find that thread and then perhaps the feedback from people there will help you with ideas of what may work. @divachyk shared a lot in that discussion so hopefully you can glean some more info from there too.

divachyk

@Nonie, thank you. I think it might be a combination of the two. It could be a low porosity problem because once I put a BUNCH of moisturizer in my hair, it feels fine...it doesn't dry out after that. And it does take a while for it to dry. But I definitely want to try some new products because even if I have low porosity, I don't think it should take as much product as i'm using in order for my hair to feel moisturized.
sonychari, I truly don't know how much a glob equates to be but like IDareT'sHair mentioned, I'm not a dime size type of girl because that small amount of product doesn't work for my hair needs. You have to find what works for you. The amount of product I use vary on the product being used and the state of my hair. My air dried hair requires far more product than my heat styled hair.

RarityFluttershy

To The Ladies With Low Porosity Hair Can You Recommend Some Shampoos, Conditioners, Moisturizing Deep Conditioners, And Leave-Ins That Work For You.
Is It Best To Shampoo Every Day If One Is Dealing With Low Porosity?

blueberryd

@sonychari I don't whole head baggy--I didn't like it b/c I too woke up with a wet soggy head! lol I also only baggy at night. I put a baggy containing just a dime size amount of moisturizer over my lightly moisturized bun and go to bed. In the morning, my ends are so soft and moisturized. When baggying, a little moisturizer goes a looong way! I can't wait for my hair to hurry up and grow back so I can start baggying again! It really does make a difference! I noticed a lot less breakage.
HHJ :)

Bublin

OP i think your hair sounds like mine and divachyk .....by all means try out the suggetion of baggying however i'm betting that you'll soon realise that it makes ur hair very dry (once u take the baggy off).
I'm going to retry the Bee Mine Moisturiser now i understand my hair abit more.
Oh and i've found that rinsing with cold water is a no-no, makes my hair hard and
tangled.

divachyk

Bublin, I baggy my ends nightly. My hair isn't damp, tangled or dry by morning. If I whole head baggy, which is rare, I will baggy for a few hours in the evening.

To The Ladies With Low Porosity Hair Can You Recommend Some Shampoos, Conditioners, Moisturizing Deep Conditioners, And Leave-Ins That Work For You.
Is It Best To Shampoo Every Day If One Is Dealing With Low Porosity?
RarityFluttershy, I have my regi/product favs in LHCF blog, check it out.

I like trying new products but I've found great success with:
Shampoo - CON Argan Oil or Joico Kpak
Cowash - CJ Beauticurls or HV Moisture Condition Pro
DC - Kenra Moisuturizing DC
LI - I leave my hair dripping wet when I exit the shower and layer products. Use a milk for slip, a moisturizer, seal, and always apply jbco to roots.
Bee Mine Hair Milk or SSI Coco Cream (slip)
Bee Mine Luscious (moisturizer)
Avocado Oil (seal)

I refuse to shampoo daily as I don't have that kind of time and energy. When I'm actively working out, I will cowash frequently throughout the week to remove sweat from my hair. When I'm deep into a stretch I will cowash frequently to hydrate the ng.