Moisturizing the scalp..help!

Raenababy2006

My scalp can get dry and itchy, and I am new to caring for my own hair, so what do I do to moisturize my scalp?
Thanks
Raena

Nice & Wavy

I have to say WGO (Wildgrowth hair oil). It moisturizes my scalp and leaves my new growth soft. I put about a quarter size amount on my fingertips, rub my hands together and then massage only my scalp with the oil. It has a smell but it wears off after awhile. I love it because it really takes away the itch and any flakes I may have. I use it 3 times a week.

Hope all goes well for you...:)

blueabyss333

Nice & Wavy said:
I have to say WGO (Wildgrowth hair oil). It moisturizes my scalp and leaves my new growth soft. I put about a quarter size amount on my fingertips, rub my hands together and then massage only my scalp with the oil. It has a smell but it wears off after awhile. I love it because it really takes away the itch and any flakes I may have. I use it 3 times a week.

Hope all goes well for you...:)

WGO is good but if you use too much the smell can become overwhelming.

Nice & Wavy

blueabyss333 said:
WGO is good but if you use too much the smell can become overwhelming.

Thats so true, that's why I only use small amount on the scalp, three times a week. The smell doesn't overpower you then.

Candy_C

how about taking a flaxseed supplement~? that will mositurize from the inside. maybe puttin something topical on your scalp could block the pores...this worked 4 me anyway and my family all have flakey dry itchy scalp.

tastesosweet

OK, so I was the QUEEN of itchy, dry scalp and horrible dandruff, to the point where I was scratching my scalp so much, I had scabs! My hairdresser would squirm at the sight of my red, sore scalp. I made a concoction that not only cured my dandruff and itchy scalp, but also keeps my hair moisturized.

In a 2 oz spray bottle, I mix the following ingredients:

1 tablespoon of MTG
1/2 cup of Rosemary Hair Oil (I found this at www.fromnaturewithlove.com, however, your preferred hair oil will do)
10 drops each of lavender, thyme, cedarwood, and rosemary essential oils.

Apply to the hair and scalp 4-5x a week and massage it in.

I created this in preparation for wearing my hair in two-strand twist extensions. Normally extension styles drive my scalp crazy, but since using this since the end of December, I have not had one single itch and my hair (especially my roots/ new growth) is very moisturized.

Another great moisturizing product is Curly Custard by Kinky-Curly.com. I have used this product to keep my afro puff moist and defined while wearing my hair out.

HTH! Good luck!

Last edited:

Elizabeth26

What helped my dry scalp was water. I know since I CW once a week and shampoo/deep condition once a week I don't have any problems with dry scalp.

carameldiva

try a combination of pomace b olive oil and coconut oil or apricot kernel oil and palm oil. I know i am such a pj. Grapeseed oil and evening primrose oil are also very good as well.

Isis

Candy_C said:
how about taking a flaxseed supplement~? that will mositurize from the inside. maybe puttin something topical on your scalp could block the pores...this worked 4 me anyway and my family all have flakey dry itchy scalp.
I agree about the flaxseed and suggest taking at least a tablespoon of flaxseed oil each day, mixed in your food. Having dry itchy skin, including our scalps usually means a lack of essential fatty acids in our system, which is in flaxseeds and flaxseed oil (Omega 3).
Drinking lots of water daily, 1/2 your weight in ounces daily, also moisturizes from the inside out.

melodee

I agree w/ the water. My dermatitis has been gone for about two years now since I've been washing my hair much more often. I rinse or CO wash at least once a week when I'm trying to keep a style, and up to three times a week when I'm just airdrying and not worrying about a style. Emu oil w/ tea tree oil added works wonders in addition to keeping the scalp moist w/ water.

HoneyDew

Liz25_Ga said:
What helped my dry scalp was water. I know since I CW once a week and shampoo/deep condition once a week I don't have any problems with dry scalp.

same here! Actually, I shampoo and Deep condition twice a week (CW don't work for me) and I never have to moisturize my scalp.

I noticed after a few weeks of doing this. I never have to use my favorite oils anymore.

And also, like Candy_C mentioned, I think vitamins have helped. Well i hope they have something to do with it. I only take Biosil and Coconut oil, but I really feel that these have made a difference.