Moisturizing twist outs w/o messing up definition?

anon123

How do you all moisturize your twist outs without messing up the definition? After washing my hair I can moisturize and put my hair in twists and leave to dry. Then I can take the twist outs and wear a defined twist out the whole week (I wash weekly) without needing to comb or retwist or anything. But the more I mess with it, the less defined it becomes and if I add to watery a moisturizer it starts to revert and tangle. Anyone else in this situation?

I'm beginning to see that I need to at least keep my ends oiled. So far I've been just putting oil on the tips of my fingers and pressing them on the ends of the hair to not mess it up. Anyone have any other tips?

naturalgurl

Hmmmm, good query. I loaded mine down with shea butter hoping it'll last forever but it hindered my drying:thought:. Hmmmmm, I wonder if castor oil would help, but then manipulation....hmmmm.......

Desarae

When I was natural I didn't moisturize after unraveling the twists. I just made sure I used something very moisturizing to twist with in the first place (usually long aid curl activator gel and castor oil) and then spritz them with some kind of braid spray daily until it was time to twist-out.

Then, once the twists were unraveled, i didn't moisturize the first two days, I would just oil (castor or vatika). Then after that I would spritz lightly with water or braid spray, i would lose some definition day by day, but that was the beauty of a twistout. It changes and evolves and swells up to a different look day by day. BTW, I had c-napp hair as a natural.

Sorry, I couldn't be of that much help.:perplexed

naturalgurl

When I was natural I didn't moisturize after unraveling the twists. I just made sure I used something very moisturizing to twist with in the first place (usually long aid curl activator gel and castor oil) and then spritz them with some kind of braid spray daily until it was time to twist-out.

Then, once the twists were unraveled, i didn't moisturize the first two days, I would just oil (castor or vatika). Then after that I would spritz lightly with water or braid spray, i would lose some definition day by day, but that was the beauty of a twistout. It changes and evolves and swells up to a different look day by day. BTW, I had c-napp hair as a natural.

Hmmmm, then I might be on to something. Castor is thick yet moisturizing and might have some "stick" to it. We'll figure it out. We hair scientist(bathtub chemist:grin:) will FIND a way!

Leeda.the.Paladin

I usually spritz , but since you said you don't like a watery mixture, could you lightly applying liberal amounts of a creamy moisturizer (not really rubbing in, just kind of spreading it on) and then tie your hair down with a scarf overnight or a few hours. I do this sometimes, the product just sinks in overtime with the help of the scarf and I don't end up having to rub it in, disturbing the hair.

anon123

Another cnapp. :) Yeah, I think the oiling is definitely better than the moisturizer. I like the look of my hair after it's lost some definition, too, but it's bad for me and tangling. If I can keep it defined and like frozen in place, it won't tangle so much. But as it puffs out, it tangles more.

I'm considering applying a heavier moisturizer mid week and twisting each twist back up again. I think that would prevent tangling.

Desarae

Another cnapp. :) Yeah, I think the oiling is definitely better than the moisturizer. I like the look of my hair after it's lost some definition, too, but it's bad for me and tangling. If I can keep it defined and like frozen in place, it won't tangle so much. But as it puffs out, it tangles more.

I'm considering applying a heavier moisturizer mid week and twisting each twist back up again. I think that would prevent tangling.

That might work...I never tried it but one of my favorite nappies used to do it like that. Heres a link to her fotki/regimen. (you should look at all her pics if you haven't already:grin:)

http://public.fotki.com/fxybrwn78/f...e-for-my-hair/a-new-aproach-to-ca/2ndday.html

NewYorkgyrl

I usually don't keep a twist out for too long. Maybe 3-4 days. if I feel that I really need sometype or moisture of sheen I spray the organic olive oil sheen spray on my hair.

I just make sure that I moisturize before I twist and right before I unravel the twists.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
How do you all moisturize your twist outs without messing up the definition? After washing my hair I can moisturize and put my hair in twists and leave to dry. Then I can take the twist outs and wear a defined twist out the whole week (I wash weekly) without needing to comb or retwist or anything. But the more I mess with it, the less defined it becomes and if I add to watery a moisturizer it starts to revert and tangle. Anyone else in this situation?

I'm beginning to see that I need to at least keep my ends oiled. So far I've been just putting oil on the tips of my fingers and pressing them on the ends of the hair to not mess it up. Anyone have any other tips?

Your defined twists are amazing! I wish mine looked like that!:rolleyes::lachen:

Jetblackhair

Your twist-out is beautiful. I can see why you don't want to disturb it. Sometimes I try to moisturize my twist-out by scrunching my hair with product. But most times I end up re-twisting after a couple of days.
I usually have to fluff my twist-out to give volume to my hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I don't moisturize my hair when it's in a twistout, and my hair is just fine. It doesn't really get all dry so I really don't need to moisturize.

CenteredGirl

M-

After YEARS of trial and error, I finally figured it out:

• I apply gel OVER twists at night
  • Put all twist in a high pony tail
  • In the morning, I unlink crispy twist (in their natural 2 sections
  • Pull all hair forward and bend over
  • Apply a good deal of moisturizer and sprint water. Once softened, I separate twists with fingers
  • Then I take a ionic blow dryer on low (heat) medium (airflow) (with diffuser attachment)
  • Apply heat all over via scrunching in big sections- this helps the moisturizer to penetrate and keeps your twist outs defined.
pic is my new avi. Sporting the do today. I REALLY love it. The low heat really really makes a big dif for me. I was so down on my hair, but now I'm all into it again. God is good.

Last edited:

anon123

Thanks, y'all. Centered, your twist out is lovely.

So yesterday was day 4 of my twist out. I had been lightly rubbing oil on the hair or on the ends since day 1. But yesterday night I moisturized and retwisted. It probably took me an hour while watching tv. Today my twist out is just as defined as day 1 and I should be good until wash day.

ajargon02

I didn't moisturize after unraveling the twists. I just made sure I used something very moisturizing to twist with in the first place

Same here. I use my homemade shea butter mix over sta-so-fro gold. this works for me every time. The only product that can hold my twist out through steam or leave-in's is Let's Jam, but that's like vasaline on steroids, and you won't get any "moisture" in by spritzing. I haven't use that stuff in years,b/c the petroleum and mineral oil can cause follicle blockage over time. Also b/c I like to "no poo" and with that stuff, I have to use a clarifying shampoo. I don't mind as long as it's not too often and at that i have to water it down. It's just too harsh for my hair.

and then spritz them with some kind of braid spray daily until it was time to twist-out.

The reason that I would spritz with any leave in until twist out day was b/c I noticed that it helps me get even more definition for the twistouts.

Then, once the twists were unraveled, i didn't moisturize the first two days, I would just oil (castor or vatika).

Pretty much the same here. on about day 5 I will conditioner wash, then shake my hair out. While in the shower, I put either coconut oil, steeped oils, or vatika oil into a misting bottle (.50 bottle at wal-mart in the travel sized product section) and spritz the leave in, then spritz the oil and scrunch my hair. I get even more definition this way. In the avatar, this is the technique that I use and those are my results. Sometimes, I will skip the oil and use the leave in sprita and the yellow mixed chicks (I requested a free sample and a little goes a very long way)

Then after that I would spritz lightly with water or braid spray,

daily I spritz, and tie my hair down at night. to revive it, I lightly spritz with either distilled water or homemade leave in and let the shower steam get to it. Finger fluff to style. This will make my twistouts last about 5-7 days.

i would lose some definition

by about day 4-5

but that was the beauty of a twistout. It changes and evolves up to a different look day by day.

Yup and I love it!:grin:

Last edited:

suburbanbushbabe

I can't oil twist outs because oil detangles/unravels my hair and makes it into a cloud. I've had frizzy twist outs lately. I took put the sides and back in a loose pony puff and smoothed KBB Hair nectar on just the frizzy ends. Next day I moisturized by scrunching in a mix of Devacurl Set It Free and Qhemet Burdock cream. That got me a second day and helped defrizz. I can't put watery things anywhere near my dry hair. Today I'm home. Scrunched in some Donna Marie Coco Hemp hair cream. Later I'll wash and and re-twist & curl.

GabbanaGirl

Thanks, y'all. Centered, your twist out is lovely.

So yesterday was day 4 of my twist out. I had been lightly rubbing oil on the hair or on the ends since day 1. But yesterday night I moisturized and retwisted. It probably took me an hour while watching tv. Today my twist out is just as defined as day 1 and I should be good until wash day.

Your pictures are making me want a twistout!!! Your hair is gorgeous by the way! :grin:

Sui Topi

I think moisturizing before you retwist at night will really help. If I put any moisture near my dry hair, even damp fingers or steam, it just reverts out of a twist out or whatever style it is in lol.

NGraceO

I'm thinking maybe you could moisturize really well before, and then apply some SABINO moisture block b4 twisting, if you have any. I think I've heard others say that really helps them retain moisture until their next wash.... HTH, if not too off the wall:)

vnaps

wow mwedzi your twist out is gorgeous......

i might try your method and see how it turns out......i know my braidouts will look much nicer once i've cut of all my bone straight relaxed ends......

i'm texlaxed btw.

oooop2

Hey..My twistouts tend to last 5 days. At night, I separate my hair in 6 sections. I then apply my shea-aloe mix to each section concentrating on the roots and ends. I then twist each section into a chunky twist. I sleep w/hair uncovered on a satin pillow. In morning, I wear hair uncovered in shower so steam can hit it. Once out of shower, I undo chunky twist and fluff w/hands. I find that if I want my twistouts to last, I have to do this.

Pics of recent twistouts in Jan 2009 album...

brownbean96

I had the same question mwedzi, started a search and your thread was the first that I found. Unforantely, the suggestions here weren't exactly what I was looking for. I've discovered away to keep my twist out for at least a week but I was looking for something to spray on for moisture and sheen - not really keep them defined. This thread that I found after yours, did the trick for me. It is the perfect solution.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=396154

BlondeByDesire

This sounds like something I need as well -the oil mister. Will be going to BBB with my 20% coupon. Thanks.

Last edited:

Neith

I don't moisturize my twistouts, just oil my hair with coconut oil as needed.

I sometimes VERY LIGHTLY mist my hair with water before putting the oil in.

I give myself a really good DC twice a week and I also use the same conditioner as a leave in, so my hair doesn't get dry.

I bet I could stretch it a week or more, but I wash my hair 2x a week like clockwork.

anon123

I had the same question mwedzi, started a search and your thread was the first that I found. Unforantely, the suggestions here weren't exactly what I was looking for. I've discovered away to keep my twist out for at least a week but I was looking for something to spray on for moisture and sheen - not really keep them defined. This thread that I found after yours, did the trick for me. It is the perfect solution.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=396154

Thanks! That's what I've ended up doing, too. Like Neith, I just oil. Or more accurately, I'll do what someone mentioned up thread about just squeezing in a creamy moisturizer, but I'll only do that once during the week. The other times I'll just add oil. I don't have a mister, so I just coat my hands and squeeze my twists with them. It really helps with the tangling. In this way, I can keep a defined twist out for a week while still applying something to it. I'm on day 2 of a defined twist out right now. And I don't have to retwist at night, either. I just cover with a scarf. My twist outs HOLD.

Neith

Thanks! That's what I've ended up doing, too. Like Neith, I just oil. Or more accurately, I'll do what someone mentioned up thread about just squeezing in a creamy moisturizer, but I'll only do that once during the week. The other times I'll just add oil. I don't have a mister, so I just coat my hands and squeeze my twists with them. It really helps with the tangling. In this way, I can keep a defined twist out for a week while still applying something to it. I'm on day 2 of a defined twist out right now. And I don't have to retwist at night, either. I just cover with a scarf. My twist outs HOLD.

I've tried with creamy moisturizer (conditioner) too.

Lightly applied, it can work... but it has made my twistouts frizz too because of the water content when I put in more than a fingerful.

I don't feel like just a dab of moisturizer actually moisturizes my hair though. Maybe that's just because I'm usually heavyhanded with product. :lol: