More Rollersetting Tips & Techniques

Mizani_Mrs

ok so we've read plenty of posts here about tips and techniques of how to rollerset your hair just as it's done in a salon, so i won't repeat the basics. I purchased the milady textbook and i found a few extra tips about how to get a smoothe set so i thought i'd share. and also i'd like to say that this book doesn't even half-way compare to the knowledge that we collectively have on this site. I think that lhcf is truly the best learning tool any stylist could ever have. okay anyways....

okay so a rollercurl has 3 parts; the base which is the panel of hair on which the roller is placed, this should be the same length& width as the roller. The Stem is the hair between the hair and the first turn of the roller. The Curl is the hair that is wrapped around the roller.

okay so first of all, have you ever rollerset your hair and can't figure out why it doesn't have much body and movement? You must roller each rollers slightly forward of its base and after rolling the length, the roller should rest on its base. this forward rolling technique produces the most body/volume. and this roll also would flatten the roots.

if you were to roll it half- base which means you didnt not roll forward and the roller sits halfway on the base, this would produce a medium amount of body/volume.

If you were to roll it off base which means you roll it at slightly tilted toward the back and the stem would sit just at the back of the base, this produces the least bit of volume.

Also another important tip to remember is that when you clip the roller, it's important to secure the roller properly. A loose roller will lose its tension. If the clip is placed at an angle against the hair, the sharp metal edge can cause the hair to break. The clip should be positioned with one end under the roller and one end inside the roller

Also, just reinforcing what we already know: a fine-toothe comb must be used to smoothe the hair. Hair must be fully dry before taking out rollers or hair that is almost dry will begin to frizz up. The more tension (tight grip)you roll the hair, the straighter the set will be and the longer the set will last.

So i hope these tips help out those who still are still trying to perfect their technique (including myself).

Anyone else have any professional rollersetting tips to share??

baglady215

Great tips!

Does it mention anything about rolling up vs. rolling under? I always roll under, but at the Dominican salon they roll up or a combination of up and under. I was wondering what the purpose of this is.

webby

Think Slim
Mizani_Mrs said:
Anyone else have any professional rollersetting tips to share??
Funny you should post this. I don't have the book, but I belonged to a rollerset group at Yahoo and downloaded some really technical explanations, like you mention: base, stem, et al. There were some great instructions, along with diagrams.

Reading the "basics" is what helped me get my rollerset down pat.

L

lkg4healthyhair

Thanks for the tips!! I finally learned how to roll after practicing many times. It all sounds on point.

I find my rollersets come out better when my hair is wet. If it begins to dry (frizz) it will be frizzy when I remove the rollers.

Another suggestion would be to ask your hair stylist to show you how to rollerset. I go to Dominican Salons and have been going there for years and they have no problem showing anyone how to do do it. If you have a good relationship with your stylist they should have no problem showing you.

tryn2growmyhair

I am so bad at this rollersetting business. The stylists have tried to help me but my rollersets still look a mess when my hair is in rollers.

One thing is that I am not able to keep hair from slipping off the sides of rollers. I use the grey magnetic rollers.

Also, my ends still come out crispy.

Finally, I notice little broken hairs after every rollerset, as if the hair popped off or something. WTF?
What am I doing wrong? TIA to anyone who can help with this frustrating situation. I am worried that my rollersetting technique might be too much manipulation and might lead to breakage even though when I sit under the dryer I use it on the lowest possible setting -- less than 20 on the Pibbs Kwik Dry.

Ladylynn

webby said:
Funny you should post this. I don't have the book, but I belonged to a rollerset group at Yahoo and downloaded some really technical explanations, like you mention: base, stem, et al. There were some great instructions, along with diagrams.

Reading the "basics" is what helped me get my rollerset down pat.

Webby, what roller setting group at yahoo do you belong to? I'm interested in joing.

webby

Think Slim
Ladylynn said:
Webby, what roller setting group at yahoo do you belong to? I'm interested in joing.
Lady, I'll have to look it up. I am not a member anymore, but there were some great instructions and great pics of rollersets.

webby

Think Slim
Lady, Here's the yahoo group: womenwithhairrollers

Look for files and you'll see about 4 or 5 word documents. Good stuff :up:

Mizani_Mrs

Webby, thanks for the yahoo info. I think i will join also. And as far as a stylist showing you the techniques, I never thought to ask because they always twist you around as so you cant see the mirror to see what they are doing to your head. :confused: I think it'd be cool if a stylist did offer to show u how to roll because more women would have healthy hair since rollersetting is a somewhat protective drying method/style.

Mizani_Mrs

hmm, Id say use smaller sections (use more rollers). if you use too much hair then it's hard to get all of the hair to wrap around the roller tightly. also make sure u grip it tight so your hair will come out striaght...then again...it soumds like u gripping it too tight since u say you have little broken hairs everywhere... :ohwell: Oh well...I just confused myself.... :confused: lol

good luck! From reading previous posts and tips from this book, i think i can do a good rollerset. I think my previous issue is that i would only sit and dry for like 1.5hrs when i should've sat for 2hrs. (like i do at a salon). I get up too quickly and my hair looks and feels somewhat dry...but that last bit of moisture left on my hair always reverts my hair to poofiness.....

I am educated now...I will conquer it next time!!!!! :grin:

tryn2growmyhair said:
I am so bad at this rollersetting business. The stylists have tried to help me but my rollersets still look a mess when my hair is in rollers.

One thing is that I am not able to keep hair from slipping off the sides of rollers. I use the grey magnetic rollers.

Also, my ends still come out crispy.

Finally, I notice little broken hairs after every rollerset, as if the hair popped off or something. WTF?
What am I doing wrong? TIA to anyone who can help with this frustrating situation. I am worried that my rollersetting technique might be too much manipulation and might lead to breakage even though when I sit under the dryer I use it on the lowest possible setting -- less than 20 on the Pibbs Kwik Dry.

Mizani_Mrs

ok one last comment, i promise... :grin: Okay, all stylists that i've used recently (3), they do not use nothing but a styling foam. The new salon i go to i had 2 ladies do my set and they use a foam called Nairobi (brand-name). And they use ALOT of it...i'm talking about my hair looked sudsy like it had shampoo in it. so next time i try it...i will try to use only a styling foam and nothing else. No oil, leave-in, serum, etc etc.

hopefully this way i can mimic a professional set. :look:

balisi

Mizani_Mrs said:
Webby, thanks for the yahoo info. I think i will join also. And as far as a stylist showing you the techniques, I never thought to ask because they always twist you around as so you cant see the mirror to see what they are doing to your head. :confused: I think it'd be cool if a stylist did offer to show u how to roll because more women would have healthy hair since rollersetting is a somewhat protective drying method/style.
I'm a student-stylist and the only reason most of us turn our customers away from the mirror is because it makes it easier for us to reach our products and tools. If we face the client toward the mirror. we'd still have to stand behind the chair, and our products and tools would be way out of reach. Plus, the way our styling stations are set up with stations facing each other, the clients can still see themselves in the mirror at the opposite station. Just something to consider. :look:

webby

Think Slim
Mizani_Mrs said:
At my current salon, they do leave me facing the mirror, which an added benefit to helping me get the technique down.

tryn2growmyhair

Mizani_Mrs said:
hmm, Id say use smaller sections (use more rollers). if you use too much hair then it's hard to get all of the hair to wrap around the roller tightly. also make sure u grip it tight so your hair will come out striaght...then again...it soumds like u gripping it too tight since u say you have little broken hairs everywhere... :ohwell: Oh well...I just confused myself.... :confused: lol

good luck! From reading previous posts and tips from this book, i think i can do a good rollerset. I think my previous issue is that i would only sit and dry for like 1.5hrs when i should've sat for 2hrs. (like i do at a salon). I get up too quickly and my hair looks and feels somewhat dry...but that last bit of moisture left on my hair always reverts my hair to poofiness.....

I am educated now...I will conquer it next time!!!!! :grin:
Thanks for the tips.

tryn2growmyhair

Mizani_Mrs said:
ok one last comment, i promise... :grin: Okay, all stylists that i've used recently (3), they do not use nothing but a styling foam. The new salon i go to i had 2 ladies do my set and they use a foam called Nairobi (brand-name). And they use ALOT of it...i'm talking about my hair looked sudsy like it had shampoo in it. so next time i try it...i will try to use only a styling foam and nothing else. No oil, leave-in, serum, etc etc.

They dont use water at all? How do they rewet it when it gets a little dry?

Allandra

Mizani_Mrs said:

My hair stylist uses only styling foam (Paul Mitchell) when she roller sets my hair. It comes out really nice when she does it.

Last edited: