MSM side effects

PrincessDiva

I started lurking here about 4 months ago & the first item I purchased was MSM . I started out taking 500mg per day and eventually increased up to 3,000mg per day ..My hair ,skin & nails were all flourishing from this. The only thing I noticed was that my hair texture had become really coarse & hard to relax ( but that was no biggie). Then a couple of weeks ago I started having my period every 2 weeks:( . When I thought it couldn`t get any worse , 3 weeks ago I started my period & STAYED ON FOR 3 WEEKS!!!:eek: After a trip to my gynecologist she confirmed that high doses of MSM & few other herbs and supplements will give this side effect to some people. I plan on restarting my MSM (in small doses) in another week but I just wanted to inform everyone , in case someone else is experiencing the same side effects........:cool:

Starian

Wow, that's rough...

The only side effects I've experienced are the normal MSM breakouts. Everything else seems to be fine. Then again, I'm only taking 1000 mg a day and don't plan to exceed that, since I take 4 other supplements.

Isis

PrincessDiva said:
I started lurking here about 4 months ago & the first item I purchased was MSM . I started out taking 500mg per day and eventually increased up to 3,000mg per day ..My hair ,skin & nails were all flourishing from this. The only thing I noticed was that my hair texture had become really coarse & hard to relax ( but that was no biggie). Then a couple of weeks ago I started having my period every 2 weeks:( . When I thought it couldn`t get any worse , 3 weeks ago I started my period & STAYED ON FOR 3 WEEKS!!!:eek: After a trip to my gynecologist she confirmed that high doses of MSM & few other herbs and supplements will give this side effect to some people. I plan on restarting my MSM (in small doses) in another week but I just wanted to inform everyone , in case someone else is experiencing the same side effects........:cool:
Thanks for sharing this PrincessDiva. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, that's a lot of blood to lose in a short period of time. Someone else mentioned having their period twice in one month after taking MSM. I wonder why it happens, did your gynecologist say?

After two months of gradually increasing my dosage, I'm still doing well on 3,000 mg, which I thought was an average dose.

Also, didn't your new growth soften at all?

Last edited:

Isis

Here is one of many sources I found on the safety of MSM even with much higher doses than mine. I noticed that it says near the end that MSM affects blood platelets like aspirin does, which means it thins it out. Those taking aspirin or blood thinners need to decrease their dosages while using MSM (after consulting their doctors first).
The bolded part is from the website.

http://www.mynaturalstore.com/msm-supplement.htm

Safety Profile
In long-term toxicity trials MSM showed no toxic effects with oral doses equivalent of 2.2 pounds (1 pound equals approximately 500 grams) for a person weighing 150 pounds. Most people take from 2 to 8 grams total daily as a dietary supplement. MSM is rated as one of the least toxic substances in biology and medicine, comparable to water.

MSM should not be confused with sulfites. MSM is a sulfur compound but not a sulfite. So the over half-million people in the United States who are sulfite-sensitive should not worry about allergic reactions to MSM.
There are no documented interactions of this nutritional supplement with prescriptive agents. It should be noted, however, that MSM may have an aspirin-like effect on blood platelet aggregation.

Patients taking high doses of blood-thinning medication such as aspirin, heparin or dicumarol may require a lower dose of these three substances and should consult with their physicians before using MSM as a nutritional supplement.

Healthb4Length

Yes girl taking MSM in high dosages will MESS with your cycle. It sure did with mine! I was getting my period every 2 weeks on the dot (no pun intended)! I stopped taking it and my cycles returned to normal. FOr a long long time I didn't use MSM because I was afraid, after reading post after post about how good this stuff was I decided to get some pure MSM powder. I've been taking it for a week now, so far so good but I did notice that when I was taking a teaspoon full I was feeling tired and weak, after taking it two days in a row I was feeling real sore and tender in the breast...okay after that I stop taking it for 2 days everything is good. I took some today and I'm feeling ok, the difference is I took a very small amount, I took an 1/8th of a teaspoon, I will do this from now on. I also take it with vitamin C to help it absorb better. HTH.

Isis

Alli77 said:
Yes girl taking MSM in high dosages will MESS with your cycle. It sure did with mine! I was getting my period every 2 weeks on the dot (no pun intended)! I stopped taking it and my cycles returned to normal. FOr a long long time I didn't use MSM because I was afraid, after reading post after post about how good this stuff was I decided to get some pure MSM powder. I've been taking it for a week now, so far so good but I did notice that when I was taking a teaspoon full I was feeling tired and weak, after taking it two days in a row I was feeling real sore and tender in the breast...okay after that I stop taking it for 2 days everything is good. I took some today and I'm feeling ok, the difference is I took a very small amount, I took an 1/8th of a teaspoon, I will do this from now on. I also take it with vitamin C to help it absorb better. HTH.
Wow! How high of a dose were you taking when your period came every 2 weeks? Do you take any blood-thinners like aspirin?

Healthb4Length

Isis said:
Wow! How high of a dose were you taking when your period came every 2 weeks? Do you take any blood-thinners like aspirin?

I was taking pills, I was taking the Vitamin Shoppe Brand, I was taking the recommended dosage of 2 pills per day. I wasn't on any blood thinners either, it was weird, I taught this happened to me because I was taking a product that was 100% pure, it had other products in it like silica.

PrincessDiva

Isis said:
Here is one of many sources I found on the safety of MSM even with much higher doses than mine. I noticed that it says near the end that MSM affects blood platelets like aspirin does, which means it thins it out. Those taking aspirin or blood thinners need to decrease their dosages while using MSM (after consulting their doctors first).

Thanks for the additional info Isis..That`s exactly what my gynecologist said...."High doses of MSM caused a blood thinning effect"....I am only taking a multivitamin, nioxin,flaxseed oil..no blood thinners or prescription drugs....Maybe it was because I stopped drinking as much water as I used to as well:ohwell:

Isis

PrincessDiva said:
Isis said:

Thanks for the additional info Isis..That`s exactly what my gynecologist said...."High doses of MSM caused a blood thinning effect"....I am only taking a multivitamin, nioxin,flaxseed oil..no blood thinners or prescription drugs....Maybe it was because I stopped drinking as much water as I used to as well:ohwell:
You're welcome PrincessDiva. I didn't know blood thinning from any source could cause our periods to increase or extend longer, until now. I don't think it's from not drinking as much water though.
Thanks for starting this thread.:)

Isis

Alli77 said:
I was taking pills, I was taking the Vitamin Shoppe Brand, I was taking the recommended dosage of 2 pills per day. I wasn't on any blood thinners either, it was weird, I taught this happened to me because I was taking a product that was 100% pure, it had other products in it like silica.
Alli77, my MSM has silica in it also (from Vitamin World) but I don't know how much. I'm wondering if one has blood which is already naturally thin and MSM thins the blood even more, if that person is more prone to increased or prolonged periods.

Isis

EMJazzy said:
WOW :eek:

MSM made my periods shorter.....3 to 4 days (start to finsh)
That sounds great, if that's what you want.:) Since your cycle is being affected by MSM, you may want to monitor your cycle results with your dosage, if you are increasing it.

My periods have continued to be normal and right on schedule. I don't want that to change. I have noticed no cramping whatsoever, which means my cycle is also being affected (although in a positive way). I may just stay at 3,000 mg. :yep:

GinnyP

What is the difference between Lignisul MSM and regular MSM is there a difference? both are 1000mg made by NOW they are capsules does anyone know?
Thanks!

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
Staying on your period for 3 weeks? That sounds like a nightmare. It hasn't affected my cycel at all and I was hoping it would help make me more regular since I can go almost 3 months without having mine

Synthia

MSM did not affect my periods but it did do this:

* Gave me huge zits that weren't so much pimples as mountains of flesh with blood in them. They were super zits and were highly resistant to any acne treatment. They would not dry out. I had to keep campho phenique on them and pierce them to get the blood out. I hated those.

* Gave me headaches ...I mean migraines that almost debillitated me at work.

* And lastly I had eye pain/strain My eyes were always hurting. I was always having the desire to close them even if I wasn't sleepy and computer glare was unbearable. I thought, maybe I have high blood pressure. I was so scared. But I stopped using MSM and all the symptoms went away.

So scary ...I'll never used those again. I tried them two separate times and each time I had the same effects as well as general sense of lethargy.

Last edited:

GinnyP

Synthia said:
MSM did not affect my periods but it did do this:

* Gave me huge zits that weren't so much pimples as mountains of flesh with blood in them. They were super zits and were highly resistant to any acne treatment. They would not dry out. I had to keep campho phenique on them and pierce them to get the blood out. I hated those.

* Gave me headaches ...I mean migraines that almost debillitated me at work.

* And lastly I had eye pain/strain My eyes were always hurting. I was always having the desire to close them even if I wasn't sleepy and computer glare was unbearable. I thought, maybe I have high blood pressure. I was so scared. But I stopped using MSM and all the symptoms went away.

So scary ...I'll never used those again. I tried them two separate times and each time I had the same effects as well as general sense of lethargy.
make sure you take 1000mg of vitamin C and drink plenty of water after you take MSM it will help absorb it better and have less side effects

Synthia

jancan7 said:
make sure you take 1000mg of vitamin C and drink plenty of water after you take MSM it will help absorb it better and have less side effects

Thanks for the advice, but I'm too scared to try it again.
My body is really sensitive ...and once my eyes are affected, that's it!

alexstin

My last 2 cycles have been 32 days apart. I'm thinking it's the MSM since 26-28 days is my norm. I like it!!

comike

As with any drug that you may take, be it all-natural or synthetic, there will be some type of effect on the body, be it positive or negative or a combination of both. I think a lot of people were seeing some positive results and may have went over board with the amount of MSM they were taking. More of anything doesn't necessarily mean you will see quicker or better results. My suggestion would be to take the recommended dosage on the product label and be consistent. It is especially wise to be cautious when taking natural or herbal supplements as these supplements have not been clinically tested properly for efficacy or safety, as evident by the fact that they have not been FDA approved. As I always say...keep it simple, be patient and you will definitely see positive results.

Healthb4Length

Ok, it's been two weeks since I've been taking MSM and my periods are normal...THANK GOD! I take the powdered type with chewable vitamin C tabs, I've only been taking about 1/8 of a teaspoon a day. I have been "detoxing", but luckily no headaches, no pimples in fact my skin looks really clear. I'll keep updating with my progress.

Isis

Wildchild453 said:
Staying on your period for 3 weeks? That sounds like a nightmare. It hasn't affected my cycel at all and I was hoping it would help make me more regular since I can go almost 3 months without having mine
If you're not pregnant or taking those birth control pills to keep from having your period, something isn't right. 3 months without a period is way too long. If this happened to me, I would see my gynocologist about this.