MSM users

Brownie

For those who use MSM, how soon did you get headaches or skin breakouts after starting them? So many people have been talking about the headaches and breakouts, that I've been waiting to get them, but I've been taking it for 1 week (I take a total of 1500mg), and I haven't had those side effects. Also, is anyone having a funny taste in their mouth from taking it?

OnlyChild

I haven't had any adverse side effects from MSM. No headaches, no breakouts. I take the Puritan's Pride Brand.

There was another thread about the bad aftertaste of MSM. You might want to search "MSM bad aftertaste." My pills are gel caps, maybe that's why I don't have the aftertaste, plus I take mine with juice.

sweetcocoa

I haven't had any of those problems. I did have a slightly upset stomach when I took 1000mg at one time. I now split it up to twice a day(500mg each). I want to increase it to 1500mg but I'm afraid my stomach is too sensitive. What's the most anyone has taken with no serious problems? I take the powder form.

Crystal

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Brownie said:
For those who use MSM, how soon did you get headaches or skin breakouts after starting them? So many people have been talking about the headaches and breakouts, that I've been waiting to get them, but I've been taking it for 1 week (I take a total of 1500mg), and I haven't had those side effects. Also, is anyone having a funny taste in their mouth from taking it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take the 1500 mg from GNC. And I never got headaches or a breakout... In fact my skin seemed to improve. I never had an aftertaste either... Someone on the board did though.

I take a bunch of Vits and my results are that my new growth is a lot softer and my hair is healther overall.

But I never had any side effects either. So it probably depends on the person

Allandra

Well, I didn't experience any breakouts (thank goodness). However, I did get the headaches. It started a few days after I started taking msm. It lasted for a week or so.

Kitkat

Brownie, my skin started breaking out after using MSM for a while. I don't remember how long after I started taking them that the pimples started appearing, but it wasn't right away. I'd guestimate it was a few weeks.

G

I use the Doctor's Best powdered msm and I haven't experienced any break-outs or headaches.

BlkMane

I'm prone to headaches, but I don't think that any of them have been brought on by MSM. EXCEPT FOR, one time a couple of weeks ago. I had taken 5mg of Biotin that day, plus other vitamins, plus cysteine (500mg), plus 3,000mg of MSM when I usually only take 1-2,000mg of MSM. That night, I had a very bad headache.

I thought that maybe I had a sulfur overload.

However, I started taking MSM last summer and I have been pretty consistent with taking 1-2,000mg a day. I started with the Twinlabs capsules. Now, I'm trying to finish my Vitamin Shoppe brand before switching to the Doctor's Best powder. During almost 9 months of use, I haven't had any increase in headaches.

I DO think that the MSM might have contributed to slight breakouts during the first few months of use, but now, overall my skin remains clear. I think that in the long run, if you can deal with the initial breakouts, MSM will CLEAR UP your skin. Sulfur is great for skin.

When I start taking the Doctor's Best powder, I plan to up my dosage and I hope I won't get any headaches as a result.

Ennyaa

I take 4000mg a day powdered and have yet to experience any of these problems. My brand of choice is Trimedica and I drink it with water and so far as I can tell it have virtually NO taste. I mean it's there but it's very mild.

Once I thought I was having a breakout from the MSM but then I realized it was just that time of the month and that always causes me to break out SOMEWHERE no matter how small.

ngaa

i take my 1500mg at the same time after a meal and havent experienced any side effect except softer hair and loser curl pattern

Brownie

OnlyChild said:
I haven't had any adverse side effects from MSM. No headaches, no breakouts. I take the Puritan's Pride Brand.

There was another thread about the bad aftertaste of MSM. You might want to search "MSM bad aftertaste." My pills are gel caps, maybe that's why I don't have the aftertaste, plus I take mine with juice.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you like the PP brand? I was thinking about ordering the powder a while back.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I took PP MSM for 3 weeks and didn't have any side affects, then switched to GNC and started breaking out after the first week. I don't know if it's related.

G

Kitkat said:
Brownie, my skin started breaking out after using MSM for a while. I don't remember how long after I started taking them that the pimples started appearing, but it wasn't right away. I'd guestimate it was a few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
___
No headaches for me, but the breakouts started about a week later and wouldn't go away until I stop the MSM altogether.

OnlyChild

Brownie said:
OnlyChild said:

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you like the PP brand? I was thinking about ordering the powder a while back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the PP MSM. I'm seeing great results after 2 months. I take the pills, but I don't know anything about the powder.

ms jadu

I take MSM capsules By Now Foods. I didnt experience headaches, but had white heads for the first two eeks. After a while, they just calmed down. I started to drink my water with my doses. I think if you consume alot of water, it helps. Oh, and I had no aftertaste.

Brownie

Ms. Jadu,
I don't know what my after taste is. I started taking PP Amino 1500 about 3 weeks ago, and MSM about 2 weeks ago. And right after I started taking the MSM (I get about 1500mg total) my mouth started feeling and smelling yucky, like it does when you wake up in the morning. I don't know what the problem is. I brush, floss, use mouth wash, and go to the dentist twice a year for cleanings, but nothing can get rid of that taste/smell in my mouth. I don't think this started until right after I started the MSM. ????????????????