MTG and Braids

cocoberry10

MTG and Braids

I just got my first order of MTG. I currently have braids in my hair. Is there any special things I should do? Thanks. Also, how often should I use the MTG?

Cocoberry10

Guyaneek

I have braids and I'm using the MTG so I'll tell you what I do. I use it on my scalp about 2-3 xs a week. Nothing special. I use the applicator bottle and pretty much grease my scalp.
HTH
;)

jaded_faerie

make sure to wash atleast once a week if you are going to use it more then once a week,....you dont want build-up :(

Diane71

I'm currently in braids too and I apply to my scalp with a applicator bottle with tip every other day before bedtime. I apply it generously (mine's mixed with Daily Doctor Leave-in) and tie up with a silk scarf. My new growth is coming in fast and thick. Within 2 weeks I have almost an inch of growth in some places (especially the back).

smiller

I took my braids out Tuesday. Had thick new growth Permed my hair Sat(WRONG THING TO DO :eek: Will be getting braids back tomorrow. I used a spray bottle once a week.

zigzag1

smiller said:
I took my braids out Tuesday. Had thick new growth Permed my hair Sat(WRONG THING TO DO :eek: Will be getting braids back tomorrow. I used a spray bottle once a week.

What happened:confused:

smiller

The perm just did not take :confused: My hair was not no where close to permed. I wanted to keep my braids for at least 6 months without a perm but I had so much thick new growth that I guess the perm was not strong enough. So here I go for the 6 months and MTG. I did not lose any hair

Last edited:

shalom

All, Beware - Here's what happened to my sister who did the same thing as Smiller but with different results. Her hair was in braids for about 1 1/2, every few days she would moisturize her scalp with MTG. She said she washed her hair every two weeks. To make a long story short once she took her hair out of braids she had so much new growth she wanted to perm it. Well to her suprise perm did not take and she lost so much hair she swearing not to ever use MTG again.

smiller

Will your sister go back to braids or just work with the permed hair? I went back to braids so I don't know if there is hair lost until about 30 days. That is usually how long I keep my godess braids up.

CurliDiva

I braided my hair into mid-back cornrows on Sun-Mon (9/4-5). I started MTG, last Wednesday (9/7) night when my shipment arrived.

It has been less than a week and I need to redo all of my cornrows because of new growth.

My hair texture is 4a/4b, so I know that this is not slippage but has to be new GROWTH. I can lift up the roots of my cornrows by at least the width of my finger (1/2").

This seems too good to believe, but I'm not exaggerating my results. My hair has never grown this fast before in my LIFE!:p

:yay: MTG is smelly, but WORKS!

cocoberry10

Hi ladies:

I must be a weirdo, but for some reason I like MTG's smell (before I apply it to my hair/scalp). It kinda smells smoky. After I apply it, phew, it's stinky. Anyway, should I not relax my hair when I take the braids out? When I take my braids out, it will be close to 7 months since I relaxed (I rested from relaxers for 4.5 months before getting braids). When I take these braids out, I will DESPERATELY need to do something with my hair. I was going to try to wait another week before relaxing, but is that too soon? Someone please let me know. Thanks ladies!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Smiller did you clarify at all while using MTG? I'm thinking to much build up on the hair :confused: maybe. I'm waiting for the arrival of my MTG and sure don't want to miss out on relaxed hair, I love me some relaxed hair :p .
smiller said:
The perm just did not take :confused: My hair was not no where close to permed. I wanted to keep my braids for at least 6 months without a perm but I had so much thick new growth that I guess the perm was not strong enough. So here I go for the 6 months and MTG. I did not lose any hair

smiller

No I did not clarfy my hair. Maybe that was the problem. Next time I perm I will do that. That will be in about 3 months.

morehairplease

glad to have found this thread! getting braids next month(or dec.) and wanted to use the mtg while wearing them but didn't know how until now.

Candycane044

shalom said:
All, Beware - Here's what happened to my sister who did the same thing as Smiller but with different results. Her hair was in braids for about 1 1/2, every few days she would moisturize her scalp with MTG. She said she washed her hair every two weeks. To make a long story short once she took her hair out of braids she had so much new growth she wanted to perm it. Well to her suprise perm did not take and she lost so much hair she swearing not to ever use MTG again.

Did she leave the relaxer on long enough? Also did she deep condition it? Why did the hair fall out.. I don't understand?

Millahdoowop

How long is everyone waiting after they take out their braids to do a retouch on their new growth? What I'm doing is washing my hair every two weeks (I'm too scared for these bad boys to slip out, they are human hair braids and I'm aiming to keep them in for two months as opposed to my four weeks), and I use this braid shampoo that is in a spray bottle and spray that on my scalp. I then braid my braids in four big plaits and wet my hair (with a cup of water) and wash my hair that way. And to clarify I use baking soda and water (one tablespoon with two cups of water) and then do a final rinse with plain old water. That way I hope I keep my braids in for the allotted time and clean. ;)

Shoediva

I think I read on this board somewhere someone spoke of relaxers not taking after using MTG. i think it has something to do with the Sulphur in the MTG not mixing well with the chemicals in relaxers. I think you should wait 2 weeks after wearing braids and using MTG, before you relax/retouch.

I currently have micro's and will be taking them out within the next 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I will perm my hair as I have not had a relaxer since April. I will see what kind of condition my hair is in once I take down my braids.