MTG as a hot oil treatment???

Mama Cita

I know there are a lot of threads about MTG being used in different ways to diminish the smell such as puting it on at night and washing it out in the morning and putting rosemary or mint in it etc... but has anyone used it as a hot oil treatment? I am expecting my Shapely's soon and I sweat alot being in the sun and working out all the time so I don't want it dripping into my face and eyes. I know there are quite a few ladies whom dont deem it safe to use as a topical oil in itself and some who dont think there is anything wrong with it at all so I was wondering what are your opinions on using it as hot oil treatment when your pores are open? Some may think this sounds stupid but the only way to know is to ask. Thank you in advance....

Well, I don't think that it sounds stupid. You know...you may see results alot faster doing it like this. When I take my braids out I think that I am going to have to try this with my MTG. BTW I feel that it is safe to use as a topical oil in itself. The ingredients in MTG are not harmful.;)

I found that if I put MTG on my hair it made the hair dry. I still use it but do my best to keep it on my scalp only.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
I just purchased my first MTG and i absolutely do not want to walk around smelling like that. the smell is totally unacceptable. :D So i plan to use it the same way u described. Put it in my hair friday after work, put on a showercap and sleep with it. then wash my hair saturday morning. i hope it works...

by hot oil treatment do you mean to put warmed mtg on ur scalp only? The sulfur in it would probably leave hair too dry

hmmm never thought about the sulfur drying the hair....im sure you could combat it by deep conditioning afterwards...

This is the only way that I can use my MTG since my SO kept telling me that he smelled something on me. I put it on my scalp primarily but because I use it liberally, it gets on my hair but it didn't feel drying. I then wash it and there was no smell.

REConsul said:
This is the only way that I can use my MTG since my SO kept telling me that he smelled something on me. I put it on my scalp primarily but because I use it liberally, it gets on my hair but it didn't feel drying. I then wash it and there was no smell.

What is your process? Do you heat yours and then apply it to dry hair or what?

I think it a great idea. But I would use a carrier like olive oil. MTG contains parrafin oil/mineral oil. I'd be kinda cautious about warming it.

For my version of a "hot oil" treatment w/ MTG I apply it the scalp, then apply my deep conditioner. Then I sit under heat cap for a bit with my hair coverage by two plastic conditioning caps.

MsDanele1518 said:
What is your process? Do you heat yours and then apply it to dry hair or what?
Depends upon my mood but generally, I put it on at room temp, put on a plastic cap and then sit under a heat cap for about 15 minutes. Sometimes, I add olive oil. It's really a shame about the smell and mess, my scalp loves MTG so I can't completely give it up.

ChocoKitty said:
I think it a great idea. But I would use a carrier like olive oil. MTG contains parrafin oil/mineral oil. I'd be kinda cautious about warming it.

For my version of a "hot oil" treatment w/ MTG I apply it the scalp, then apply my deep conditioner. Then I sit under heat cap for a bit with my hair coverage by two plastic conditioning caps.

sounds great...im going to try it next time as a pre poo

Back