Must a Beautician Be Licensed?

MissJ

Let's say that the beautician does only natural styles like braids, twists, and maybe extensions. No perming, no dying, no cutting. Does she have to be licensed to own her own salon?

no, but they are about to make them get certification....but its not going to take as long as it does for cosmetology, because they won't have to do any chemical treatments...(well, thats what someone told me, lol)

balisi

Naturallylovely is correct, though it varies from state to state. The thing to be aware of in these braid/natural hair salons is sanitation. For instance, they typically use the same comb from person to person without so much as washing it in between, much less sanitizing it.

Last edited:

glamazon386

I think it depends on the state. While braiders don't need to have a license, there are some rules and regulations they are held to.

MissJ

It would be in Georgia. I tried to search online, but I kept pulling up online beauty classes. Does anyone know how many classes it would take or how much it would cost to become certified?

preciousjewel76

MissJ said:
It would be in Georgia. I tried to search online, but I kept pulling up online beauty classes. Does anyone know how many classes it would take or how much it would cost to become certified?

Did you check with the state board of cosmetology? They should have that kind of info (I think).