My "2 years after big chop" update

RayRayFurious

I joined this board two years ago to learn more about transitioning and natural hair. I did my BC July 20, 2010. This is a few days early for an update, but my hair will be in protective styles for a minute.

It's not as impressive as some of the women who come in here and get to BSL in like a year, but I'm proud anyway.

Pics:

My regimen is very simple. When my hair feels or looks dirty, I wash it. Sometimes, a couple times a week. Sometimes, once every two weeks. When it feels dry, I moisturize or co-wash. Sometimes, once a day or every few days. It depends on what products I've used and how my hair looks. I try to protective style, but my go-to style is a pulled-back puff. I'm trying to get away from that because the headbands are hard on my edges. I have only straightened my hair once in two years, so I'm not help there. I don't really do wash-and-gos. I've done one in the past year. It was cute, but more than I'm willing to do at the moment. Also, I'm weird about gel...anyone else have that reaction, too? :look:

I use silicones, sometimes one or two products with mineral oil. I don't care for harsh sulfates, but find them necessary if I used heavier products. I did my first trim in a year and a half after these pics. Don't hurt me now! Sometimes I'm a bad natural. :grin:

My favorite products (I've actually run out of a lot of these and have been trying really hard to use up my stash).

• Shampoo: Shea Moisture Curl Control Shampoo, Organix Coconut, Organix Shea Butter
  • Co-wash/rinse conditioners: VO5 (any kind), Suave Almond and Shea Butter, Suave Coconut, Aussie Moist, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
  • Moisturizers: Cantu Shea Butter Mix (I mix the Cantu with pure shea butter, olive, avocado, and grapeseed oils), S-Curl spray, Shea Moisture Hair Milk, Shea Moisture Curl-Enhancing Smoothie, Conditioner spray (a mix of VO5 with water and grapeseed and/or olive oil)
  • Styling products: Tresemme Heat Tamer (for blow-outs), sometimes various gels
  • Deep Conditioners: Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise, Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner, Aussie Moist 3-minute Deep Conditioner, Motions CPR, Elasta-QP SoyOyl Deep Conditioner
  • Oils: Grapeseed, Avocado, Olive, Jojoba, Vitamin E, Castor (only in colder months, though)

Last edited:

WyrdWay

Great job retaining!!! Its all about listening to your hair and it looks like you are doing just that!

Guinan

Re-Branding
I think you had alot of growth in 2yrs; considering how short your twa was. You hair looks great. It looks soft & healthy.

RayRayFurious

Thanks, ladies! I'm actually tempted to go back to the TWA. I think I'll wait a year first. Getting married soon, so it'd be nice to have some hair on my head :)

PersuasiveBeauty

Good for you! Beautiful progress! I always hold my breath when I come in these threads....A lot of times I'm left feeling like... "Oh that's it?" Your hair on the other hand. Is breath taking. Nice retention!

juleemango

Congrats on 2 years ! -- Look at my screw face.. I was thinking "What the hell did i do!" lol

BIG CHOP

2 Years later .....