My BF says my hair has become........

KiniKakes

...the couch with the plastic on it. :eek:

We were talking on the phone last night, and he started off the conversation very positively. He was just telling me how proud he was that i was so dedicated to this goal, and how he could tell my hair is growing and if that makes me happy, it makes him happy.

However, he then said, but there's something i have to say to you: "I feel afraid to touch your hair, to caress it or stroke it.... because you make me feel like im going to break it or harm your progress. I feel like I have to just admire it from a distance, like the couch your grandmother protects with plastic, that you cant really enjoy."

I was stunned that he felt that way. I was like, "Sunshine, Ive never said you couldnt touch my hair or put your hands in it..... I'm fine with you stroking it or caressing it. Thats fine." Although in the back of my mind I was thinking, as long as that's ALL you do.

And he was like, "Well that's not how you make me feel. I feel like you're growing it long and it looks nice, but I cant enjoy it. I feel afraid to even touch it, because you might yell at me. I want to be able to play in my gf's hair."

I was like, "Well what exactly do you want to do with my hair? You are right, I do not want you pulling it or messing with the ends, or twirling it around your fingers like you do your own..... We have totally different hair textures, and you can treat your hair a certain way and it continues to grow, but if you are that rough with mine, it can break. If you want to stroke it, that's fine. You just have to be careful, you know?"

Either way, the conversation ended..... and by the end I had convinced him that I just had a goal to meet, and by the time i reached it i would wear my hair out more often, and that he would be allowed to touch it and stroke it gently as often as he liked. (I mean, technically he can do that now, but I guess its not as satisfying for him when its in a bun).

Anyway, does anyone else feel that their hair has become the "couch with the plastic on it" at their grandma's house? Has anyone in your life complained about this....... and, if so, do you care? If so, what have you done to try to accomodate that person? I have to admit, when my BF said that, i chuckled and acknowledged that in a way, he was right. I am VERY cautious with my hair, and try to protect it from destructive elements at all times.

I just wonder if im really going to become any less "paranoid" or hair-conscious once Ive reached my ultimate goal, like I promised him? Or will i continue to forever live my life treating my hair like the "couch with the plastic on it"?

Last edited:
I know for sure that my hair is the couch with the plastic on it. I have not worn it down since I started my hair journey. If my hair is APL by September maybe it will make a debut. Otherwise it will be bunned/weaved/wigged until graduation. And then I will bun/weave/wig until my wedding. People ask me all the time "how long is your hair" and "when are you going to wear your hair down" but I really want to have that wow effect when I do wear it out for the first time. My bf knows if its not a wig/weave he best not touch it. He complains too but he understands my goal. My friends are starting to believe that I don't have hair anymore:lachen:

This is so funny because my husband teases me by putting his hand in my hair and acts like he is gonna pull a chunck out just to see my expression.:lol: I give him the evil eye and he laughs, but he already knows how far to go.:cool:

Awww...what a sweet yet slightly weird story that only LHCF chicks can totally appreciate.

I baby my hair, but I don't think it's reached plastic couch status.

awwww....poor ian!! he wants to stroke kini's hair!! lol

i have a plastic couch head for sure! since i'm weaving right now, i dont want any man running his fingers through my tracks!

KiniKakes said:
...the couch with the plastic on it.

^ That is hilarious. I bag mine up at night and it's usually loaded with MTG :perplexed , my BF knows that's the only time it's off limits. So um yeah I know what he means, I'm braided up right now and unless I have something in my hair, then it's okay. I agree that once you reach your goal then play time can begin, but don't be afraid to let him play in it once in awhile...I mean as long and he's not swinging from it you should be fine. :)

Suri said:
^ That is hilarious. I bag mine up at night and it's usually loaded with MTG :perplexed , my BF knows that's the only time it's off limits. So um yeah I know what he means, I'm braided up right now and unless I have something in my hair, then it's okay. I agree that once you reach your goal then play time can begin, but don't be afraid to let him play in it once in awhile...I mean as long and he's not swinging from it you should be fine. :)

:lol: Very true.

Yeah, he can touch it as much as he likes, I just dont like anyone combing their fingers through it or twirling it around their fingers. I dont know if i'll ever be completely comfortable with that, even once i've reached my goal. But..... i will try to lighten up a little bit, because i dont want him to feel that uncomfortable.

FlyyGyrl said:
I know for sure that my hair is the couch with the plastic on it. I have not worn it down since I started my hair journey. If my hair is APL by September maybe it will make a debut. Otherwise it will be bunned/weaved/wigged until graduation. And then I will bun/weave/wig until my wedding. People ask me all the time "how long is your hair" and "when are you going to wear your hair down" but I really want to have that wow effect when I do wear it out for the first time. My bf knows if its not a wig/weave he best not touch it. He complains too but he understands my goal. My friends are starting to believe that I don't have hair anymore:lachen:

:lol: @ "maybe it will make a debut"

Thank you ladies for all the responses, you guys crack me up. :)

I understand what you mean. In a way mine hair has become a "couch."

However luckily/unluckily for me, my bf lives about 2 hours away so I only see him 2 (max 3 weekends a month) weekends a month. So that's between 4-6 days a month that I wear my hair out. I don't think wearing my hair out 4-6 days is going to detrimental to my overall progress. I do think however if he always saw my hair up he wouldn't complain...but I know he would prefer it out.

awwwwww... poor BF. I can't say I am there with you because I love for my hair to be played with, but I DO understand. :lol:

I had to tell my BF to stop pulling my hair when we have fun
He is not to happy about this.:D
But i want to grow my hair long.

Last edited:
My thoughts?? (at least for me) is that the more my hair grows is the more it becomes the couch with the plastic cover.

For example, the other day I decided to wear my hair out in a wash and go to kinda show it off at work (it was looking really cute and i had been wearing it in a baggy under an afro puff for so long) and I received all kinds of compliments on how cute my hair looked. The day was warm but windy so my hair blew around a bit but didn't lose the style. Anyways, by the end of day my hair was was breaking and it took over a week to get the moisture back into my hair. I was like hell ta da no...never again!!! :lachen: So now, people can admire my puffs and ponies and instant weave bc they are not seeing my hair again!

Now that my hair is brastrap length I'm much more relaxed about it. I wear it out more and I'm more relaxed about my DH playing with it. But yes, it WAS like the couch with plastic on it.

:lachen: I had fun reading that Kini,

I definitely think my BF would agree with yours. Although we've never had that exact convo, he likes when my hair is out and he can touch it. Buns = oily hair to him, so there's not much to caress :lol: .

Oh well, I wear it down when I first get it done, but until I reach my goal, I gotta keep those ends moisturized.

Aww, what a cute story. My boyfriend used to play in my baggie, (moving my hair around in there) but I had to stop him cause he tangled my hair up something fierce. :lol:

My guy friend used to say "you should let your hair down, literally." Meaning I should relax more and wear my hair down. I felt like such a prude when he said that.

leleepop said:
This is so funny because my husband teases me by putting his hand in my hair and acts like he is gonna pull a chunck out just to see my expression.:lol: I give him the evil eye and he laughs, but he already knows how far to go.:cool:
:lachen: :lol: :lachen:

LOL... this is funny .. I can see where he come from casue if your like me you never leave your hair unprotected....

I don't think I could ever take it that far. I love to play in my own hair. But, I HATE when my press gets breathed in during love making. My current BF is good about not doing it, but my ex was awful!...maybe that's why he's the ex.:lol:

Back