My daughters hair and God send in a box!

mrshicks2002

JUST FOR ME TEXTURE SOFTNER
I finally broke down and applied this to my daughters hair. It was getting out of control. Its very mangeable now and very very soft. I had to do some thinking about it for a little, but I really like the fact because its not applied to the roots like a relaxer and she still have her wave pattern. Her hair seems to be doing great already and growing.

Her hair used to be so drawed up and would shrink in a flash.:yep:

Well check out her new hair now in my fotki, link below.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I love your results. I bought the Just For Me kit several months back, got scared, and took it back to the store. I would love to reduce shrinkage in my DD's hair but keep her texture as close to natural as possible. I constantly go back and forth on this. I keep her in cornrows and two-strands now because she gets knots on the ends which break off and reduce her APL length. How often do you think you will need to touch-up? Did you do it yourself? How long did you keep it on? Any smoothing or not? What did you tell your DD about what you were doing? I know you understand the reason for these questions:ohwell:.

bluediamond0829

her hair is so pretty...so is yours....

oh i luvd how you had her laid back on the sink LOL

of course my mom used to make us stand up and put our head over(i felt like i was drowning LOL) I hated doing it that way....

I wonder has anyone natural used this?? I used to also use Just For Me Relaxer on my hair....im having some thoughts about this once i finish my transition of giving it a try....i need to read up on it more first...

mrshicks2002

I love your results. I bought the Just For Me kit several months back, got scared, and took it back to the store. I would love to reduce shrinkage in my DD's hair but keep her texture as close to natural as possible. I constantly go back and forth on this. I keep her in cornrows and two-strands now because she gets knots on the ends which break off and reduce her APL length. How often do you think you will need to touch-up? Did you do it yourself? How long did you keep it on? Any smoothing or not? What did you tell your DD about what you were doing? I know you understand the reason for these questions:ohwell:.

I understand totally what you are talking about. My daughters hair started breaking around the nape and edges and it seem that no matter how much moisturizer I would put in her hair it still will dry out quick. I would also get her hair braided, but I havent for a while because I didnt want to keep putting stress on her nape and the edges even though they were not tight.

Well I finally made up my mind and told him what I was doing and he was fine with it because he would see how her hair was before I combed it and what I had to go through. I did it myself and I dont think I will have to put one on their again because her ends are fine now and her hair isnt kinky anymore.

Thats what I like about it because It say to apply an inch away from the roots and thats just what I did, so its not like a relaxer because I didnt apply it to the roots, so therefore she wont have to worry about getting new growth that I have to relax again. As soon as I applied it I run it through the ends twice and then rinsed. This was the great thing about it. Yes it have chemicals in it, but it wasnt applied to the roots of her hair, its doing so much better, and its staying very moisturized. Its like her hair did a 360.:yep:

mrshicks2002

Thanks for the compliments. Thats the good thing about this. THere is a just for me relaxer like the one that you used, but this is just the texture softner. It does have chemicals in it, but its not applied to the roots on the hair like a relaxer, just 1 inch away from the roots and on down to soften the hair texture.

Thats what I did was read up on it and did some thinking and I am glad that I went ahead and tried it.

of course my mom used to make us stand up and put our head over(i felt like i was drowning LOL) I hated doing it that way....

I wonder has anyone natural used this?? I used to also use Just For Me Relaxer on my hair....im having some thoughts about this once i finish my transition of giving it a try....i need to read up on it more first...

♦K.O♦

Your daughter's hair looks lovely before AND after the texture softener.

Her ponytails and beaded pics took me back! So did the laying on the counter. lol :lachen:

mrshicks2002

OMG I have been thinking about this for my daughter but I am holding it off along with the PCJ....

The difference between this and PCJ. PCJ is a relaxer that is applied to the roots and with the Just For Me Texutre Softner its not applied to the roots.

mrshicks2002

Your daughter's hair looks lovely before AND after the texture softener.

Her ponytails and beaded pics took me back! So did the laying on the counter. lol :lachen:

Thank you so much for the compliment. Ya that was the only way that I could really get her hair cleaned. I remember when my mother did me and my sister like that as well.

glamazon386

BlueDiamond why would you wait until you're done transitioning to give it a try? Are you planning to transition and then go back to relaxing? This product is nothing but a mild relaxer or texturizer. Adding the sunflower oil to it just keeps it from straightening all the way. Ladies on the board add oil to their relaxers all the time to get the same effect. Your hair will not be natural anymore after using it because it's still a chemical. And it'll still need to be touched up every once in a while. I checked into it a while back when I was frustrated with my shrinkage. If I'm not mistaken the product says it'll last up to 12 weeks. Just thought I'd let you ladies know.

Mschicks - Did not applying it to the roots leave a noticeable difference between the roots and the rest of her hair? Do you think that as time goes on and she has more new growth it will be more noticeable then?

Last edited:

mrshicks2002

BlueDiamond why would you wait until you're done transitioning to give it a try? Are you planning to transition and then go back to relaxing? This product is nothing but a mild relaxer or texturizer. Adding the sunflower oil to it just keeps it from straightening all the way. Ladies on the board add oil to their relaxers all the time to get the same effect. Your hair will not be natural anymore after using it because it's still a chemical. And it'll still need to be touched up every once in a while. I checked into it a while back when I was frustrated with my shrinkage. If I'm not mistaken the product says it'll last up to 12 weeks. Just thought I'd let you ladies know.

Mschicks - Did not applying it to the roots leave a noticeable difference between the roots and the rest of her hair? Do you think that as time goes on and she has more new growth it will be more noticeable then?

There isnt a noticeable difference at all since she already had wavy and kinky hair and its still wavy some on the ends as well. I didnt smooth the hair, just combed it thru twice and rinsed.

As far as the NG, she shouldnt have more NG because I didnt apply it to roots like a normal relaxer, just an inch away from the roots to the ends and since I applied it that way it shouldnt be a problem since we only get NG at the roots of the hair.

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Awww, her hair looks cute. She definately didn't loose any of her thickness, but that extra bulk was removed which makes a heck of a difference. I'm sure hair days will be better for both of you guys now.

glamazon386

There isnt a noticeable difference at all since she already had wavy and kinky hair and its still wavy some on the ends as well. I didnt smooth the hair, just combed it thru twice and rinsed.

As far as the NG, she shouldnt have more NG because I didnt apply it to roots like a normal relaxer, just an inch away from the roots to the ends and since I applied it that way it shouldnt be a problem since we only get NG at the roots of the hair.

Right but as the months go on and her hair grows out there's gonna be more hair in that unrelaxed section where the roots are right? Isn't that new growth? I'm natural and even though all my hair is the same texture I still have "new growth". I just only see it where my color is (even though he didn't take my highlights all the way to the root) or when my hair is braided or twisted. Are you going to put it in her hair again as it grows out? Maybe that's what I meant to ask. How often do you plan to reapply it? I'm just curious. It seems like every review I've seen here on the board people have only used it maybe once especially since it's a new product so they don't have any comments about using it long term yet.

Last edited:

mrshicks2002

Right but as the months go on and her hair grows out there's gonna be more hair in that unrelaxed section where the roots are right? Isn't that new growth? I'm natural and even though all my hair is the same texture I still have "new growth". I just only see it where my color is (even though he didn't take my highlights all the way to the root) or when my hair is braided or twisted. Are you going to put it in her hair again as it grows out? Maybe that's what I meant to ask. How often do you plan to reapply it? I'm just curious. It seems like every review I've seen here on the board people have only used it maybe once especially since it's a new product so they don't have any comments about using it long term yet.

Ok I gotta ya now and see what you are saying.:yep: As far as putting it in her hair again, I guess I will just have to play it by ear because if I see that her hair is growing, but doesnt really need another one, then I will not be reapplying it, but if it does then I will at least wait six months to do so.

glamazon386

Ok I gotta ya now and see what you are saying.:yep: As far as putting it in her hair again, I guess I will just have to play it by ear because if I see that her hair is growing, but doesnt really need another one, then I will not be reapplying it, but if it does then I will at least wait six months to do so.

Okay cool. Thanks for answering my questions. :)

bluediamond0829

Actually it would only be a option if im not pleased and wanting something to help manage my hair..but im transitioning and want to see what my natural texture is going to be like first before making that decision....i want to get off everything thats chemical and then make the decision on rather i want a texturizer...

motherx2esq

I am really thinking about this because my daughter's hair is just so hard for me to do. Her ends are just dry and damaged. I don't know what else to do. I want to cut it but what can I do with it after I cut it? If I do a wash and go, you cannot get a comb through it and it is a tangled mess! I cannot braid to save my life! Lord knows I try! I think I may have to get a box of this!

mrshicks2002

I am really thinking about this because my daughter's hair is just so hard for me to do. Her ends are just dry and damaged. I don't know what else to do. I want to cut it but what can I do with it after I cut it? If I do a wash and go, you cannot get a comb through it and it is a tangled mess! I cannot braid to save my life! Lord knows I try! I think I may have to get a box of this!

I totally understand how you feel and this is how I felt a few months ago. I kept going back and forth wanting to use it and then I was like...no, but her hair wasnt getting any better and I would have to use a ton of product of whatever it was that I was putting on her hair because it seems that natural hair needs a more moisture. Her hair didnt hold moisturizer like it does now. Its funny how somethings were not working as well on her hair does really great on it now. You just have to do whats best for her hair and you taking care of it. Others will say what they want, but they are not the ones that have to deal with it and see what you have to go through on a daily.

keep us posted and I hope everything works out!