My ends are coming out a bit...

northernbelle

I have really been very diligent about applying Healthy Ends to my hair each night, followed by a bit of oil.

I also had a trim about a month ago with my last relaxer touch up.

So, I don't understand.

Maybe I need to do a protein treatment?

Any suggestions?

My hair is 4b relaxed hair. I just washed it on Sunday evening with Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo, followed by a deep moisturizing treatment with the Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner for one hour, followed by Healthy Ends and oil on the ends. I partially dry my hair under the hood dryer, then blow out the roots, then flat iron.

Thank you!
northernbelle

jainygirl

Trim your ends, if theyre breaking and stuff, they'll only make the rest of your healthy hair look bad. Also they can start splitting upward and damage the rest of the strand which you dont want to happen. It would be good for you to cut some of the heat or at least use it less often. I think the flat iron would be the easiest for you to let go if you are willing to give up something totally. After you do that, keep up with moisturizing your ends each night and put your hair in a bun or just tuck your ends in some way before puttin on your satin cap each night. HTH -- jainygirl

Shawnee66

I'm also a 4b relaxed. I have notice since I've been using a leave in such as Salerm 21 or Infusium 23 (sometime I use both) let my hair air dry a little and then add the healthy ends my ends have been much healthier. I don't add the oil until the next morning. I've been using coconut oil on the ends.

ubavka123

Maybe it's the healthy ends? Doesn't this product contain keratin, a protein? I find that I cannot put leave-in protein products on my ends. They can make the hair hard/brittle which can lead to some breakage (and the ends are the most delicate part). I know this is not true of everyone, but I had to lay off the ends treatments (like ego boost, etc.) with protein because they were doing nothing for me. I just moisturize with coconut oil or a creamy moisturizer. If I am mistaken about healthy ends, please ignore...I read that the ingredients in break-free and healthy ends were pretty much the same, so I am basing my response on that.

I also agree with Jainy about giving up some of the heat.

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
Maybe it's the healthy ends? Doesn't this product contain keratin, a protein? I find that I cannot put leave-in protein products on my ends. They can make the hair hard/brittle which can lead to some breakage (and the ends are the most delicate part). I know this is not true of everyone, but I had to lay off the ends treatments (like ego boost, etc.) with protein because they were doing nothing for me. I just moisturize with coconut oil or a creamy moisturizer. If I am mistaken about healthy ends, please ignore...I read that the ingredients in break-free and healthy ends were pretty much the same, so I am basing my response on that.

I also agree with Jainy about giving up some of the heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

ubakva123 - You may be right on the money. I had not considered the protein factor. Combined with the heat, it has not benefitted my ends.

It seems that I not only have problems using water-based products on my ends, i.e. ORS Carrot Oil, but also protein-based products as well, i.e. Profectiv Healthy Ends. The exception seems to have been the Pantene Pro V Relaxed and Natural Wrap and Set Lotion. Albeit water-based, my hair responds well to it.

You know, I may just return to my old stand-by - Ultra Sheen Extra Dry formula. It seems that my hair responds best to the "bad" goodies - mineral oil and petroleum.

northernbelle

Lynxdiva

I say cut the flat iron out for a while & see if that doesn't make a difference. It wreaks havoc with my ends & I don't have troubles when I don't use it. If that's the culprit, then you'll know to spread out its use. Also, some brands catch the hair more. I returned my previous flat iron to Sally's and they said I wasn't the only person who complained about that brand tugging on their hair. Don't ask me which brand it was, because I can't remember. I could look on the Sally's site to see a photo & let you know, though.

northernbelle

Thanks, Lynxdiva.
Thank you, Lynxdiva. The flatiron may very well be too much additional heat for my hair.

northernbelle

Lynxdiva

I think it was the Curlmaster (ceramic) Brand. They don't show the box on the website. I have a Jilbere Porcelain now, but I don't use it often.