My family encourages non-Christian behavior...

DreamLife

So I had an associate that looked down on me because of her "status" she had. Everytime I talked to her I felt "slighted" but not too offended, because I knew that I was working hard to achieve my goals in life and wasn't concerned about her "status". Well now things are flipped around and she asked me for help on something that is a gift that God gave me. I gladly helped her because as many of you know I have worked on my bitterness and unforgiving spirit...but this wasn't even the case because I wasn't even really mad at her about her putting on airs...i know pride comes before a fall...but I know that there are things in my heart that I might not even know that I have against her so I prayed for that.

Back to the point. I helped her and made the mistake of telling my family and they were like...WHAT! She thought she was better than you, so I think that you should let her sit and struggle. Look at her now. And I'm like ugh...you guys get on my nerves...When it comes to sins like getting drunk, premarital sex, etc. its "thus saith the Lord." And please don't be in the house and say you aren't going to Sunday school...they will look at you like you have a third eye.

But then when it comes to practicing some of the values that Christians are supposed to embody regardless of how you are treated, I guess the Bible doesn't apply. This is just a rant...don't mind me. I'm going to go sit in the corner now:perplexed

So I had an associate that looked down on me because of her "status" she had. Everytime I talked to her I felt "slighted" but not too offended, because I knew that I was working hard to achieve my goals in life and wasn't concerned about her "status". Well now things are flipped around and she asked me for help on something that is a gift that God gave me. I gladly helped her because as many of you know I have worked on my bitterness and unforgiving spirit...but this wasn't even the case because I wasn't even really mad at her about her putting on airs...i know pride comes before a fall...but I know that there are things in my heart that I might not even know that I have against her so I prayed for that.

Back to the point. I helped her and made the mistake of telling my family and they were like...WHAT! She thought she was better than you, so I think that you should let her sit and struggle. Look at her now. And I'm like ugh...you guys get on my nerves...When it comes to sins like getting drunk, premarital sex, etc. its "thus saith the Lord." And please don't be in the house and say you aren't going to Sunday school...they will look at you like you have a third eye.

But then when it comes to practicing some of the values that Christians are supposed to embody regardless of how you are treated, I guess the Bible doesn't apply. This is just a rant...don't mind me. I'm going to go sit in the corner now:perplexed

Hi DreamLife-

You were really nice to help the lady. I bet it made you feel good.

I had a friend from high school come back into my life again. At the time, she had been fired from her job and was just feeling defeated. So I exhorted her, counseled her, and listened for hours. Well, she and I both needed to lose a few pounds and an opportunity became available at a church for a Christian Diet Group. Ok, so I joined. Long story short....she did too and acted like she didn't know me--like I was a straight up stranger. And there was an opportunity for her to say something good about me and she didn't. So I was like ok. I will forgive but I won't forget.

Well guess what? She ended up needing me. Her mother was having surgery and she needed directions to the hospital (didn't have a computer) and I gave her directions. Then I saw her another time and in so many words, she had been talking about me to someone else and was all up in my business.

She sent me a Christmas card with her phone number and I didn't call. After some assessment, I determined that she was a leech. Just suck you up until you're dry, take a dump on you, and leave you in the dust.

Now, in regards to your family. My Mom and I had a disagreement this week. She said that she is tired of me challenging her about religion or spirituality. So I thought to myself, well my job is done. I can only pray for her and be there if she does ask a question. And I have to go forth in JESUS name; if I have to go alone.

Yeah I just feel like sometimes I'm in this thing alone, as far as my family is concerned sometimes...they just don't understand or don't want to. But I didn't really feel all that great helping the girl, but I just knew it was something that I had to do. I've never really heard God audibly but it was just like 'someone needs a tool that I have blessed you with' and it was just like you would be wrong to act like you can't help out. Thats why I have to pray all the time that I'm doing things for the right reasons, not just out of obligation, guilt or to make myself feel good, but to do God's will you know? I'm still a work in progress....

Last edited:
Yeah I just feel like sometimes I'm in this thing alone, as far as my family is concerned sometimes...they just don't understand or don't want to. But I didn't really feel all that great helping the girl, but I just knew it was something that I had to do. I've never really heard God audibly but it was just like 'someone needs a tool that I have blessed you with' and it was just like you would be wrong to act like you can't help out. Thats why I have to pray all the time that I'm doing things for the right reasons, not just out of obligation, guilt or to make myself feel good, but to do God's will you know? I'm still a work in progress....

Like I said, if I have to go forth alone I will. Some of my family is clueless too and some have been Christians at least 50 years. I pray for them and try to drop a little bit of the Bible and it goes in one ear and out the other. We need to be prepared that our whole family WILL NOT make it into heaven.

I volunteer and was at an event talking to another volunteer. We had the best conversation. She has got me doing some biblical "homework" assignments.

About a week ago, my Mom and I went shopping and there was a sales associate who said a little something about current events. Why did she do that? I got fired up. (She was originally from another country. I didn't ask her where she was from but I assumed Africa.) Girl, I mentioned the peace treaty and she started dropping some knowledge that I didn't know about Israel and Palestine. And she said it doesn't matter who the president is going to be, things will take place. She also said that "they" have all our information. And then we briefly discussed the national id coming soon. So, she had another customer so I said a little something to encourage the sales associate and she did the same for me. I was hoping my Mom would ask what we were talking about but she didn't.

And when you said you have not heard GOD's voice audibly, well you probably have heard the Holy Spirit. With me, when I hear from the Holy Spirit, it's like someone is whispering in my ear--or to describe it more, actually it's like someone whispering to my mind--if that makes sense. I have been working on a project lately and suddenly, the Holy Spirit will talk and I have to stop what I am doing to write down what is said so I don't forget. :grin:

Last edited:
Dream-

I just wanted to run something by you. Do you think it is possible to feel good about helping others and do GOD's will? For example, I was at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago. A lady left her cane in the shopping cart, so I rolled down my window and told her. Then I was paying for my items at the register and the cashier didn't make sure that the lady in front of me had her eggs. So I ran after the lady and gave her her eggs.

I am not going to lie. I felt so good because I helped two people. When I got back to the register, the cashier said that I was going to get a double blessing. But it wasn't about that. I don't give or help others to get something--particularly material in return.

I have an aunt who gives to people but she says two things, she will get it back and she might need that person to do her a favor.....Well....eh--

Also, I am a volunteer. Until recently, I worked directly with the community. I don't think it's wrong to feel good about helping others. For me, it makes me want to do more. :drunk:

Any thoughts?

I think it is possible to feel good while doing God's will, I think thats how it should be. A person should have a desire to do only His will and not to stray. I think I was trying to say I wanted to have the desire to do God's will just because of the fact that it is His will but not just for some type of self gratification...

I'm just always trying to see if my motives are in line with God. Because I know in the past they always haven't been. I was an active volunteer and sometimes I found myself doing things to make myself feel better about my self worth or to feel that I was needed. And I think that defeats the purpose of helping others.

Hope I'm making sense...wish someone else would chime in lol...we might as well take this to PM haha.

Last edited:
Ok, I understand you............

The girls will be in in a day or so. Lately, it's kind of been one or two replies, then some time, and then everybody will come in. The girls are just busy.

You can pm me anytime you like........

Back