My First Braidout - Natural 4B *pics*

GabbanaGirl

Ok, so I did my first braidout last night. Well really, this was my second one, but who is counting. I bought perm rods so that the ends of my hair wouldn't be straight...I scrapped that idea shortly after because I couldn't figure out how to put them on for the life of me. :lachen:

I was inspired by all of the beautiful braidouts I have seen on this forum! I still have a loooonng way to go though, as I would like more length, and fullness, and of course, those crazy ends to be curly. The pictures were taken shortly after, but BEFORE finger styling, and separating. Next time I will use rollers instead of trying to figure out those rods...lol

I washed my hair with KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo

DC'd with Ors Olive Oil Replenishing Pak for about one hour without heat

After DC'ing I rinsed with cold water

I prepared an herbal tea infusion using equal amounts of Hibiscus, Fenugreek, and Maka powder. To do this I put all of the powders in a bowl, added boiling water, and I let it steep for about 10 minutes, after that I strained this mixture through cheesecloth.

After straining, I poured the mixture directly over my head.

I followed this up with about 2 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar and water (equal parts..I forgot to mention this earlier...saawwwwy). This makes my hair manageable, closes the cuticle, which in turn makes for very shiny tresses. It also acts as a detangler, and Acv is very close to the PH balance of our hair, which wards off effects of hard water. I do not poo without it, as my water is very hard.

After doing these rinses, I towel dry, section my hair, and spritz a homemade solution consisting of Aloe Vera Juice, Distilled Water, Sodium Lactate, Panthenol, and Lecithin. I use this as an additional detangler and leave in moisturizer. I braided my hair in about 25 individual plaits, after braiding I put a little Camellia and Bhringraj oil in my hand, and rubbed my hands up and down each braid.

Put a scarf on my head and went to sleep :)

351062418.jpg

351062425.jpg

351062423.jpg

351062426.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous! I did a braidout today, too. It doesn't look like you need to do anything else in these pics, it already looks perfect.

Really really cute. And your ends look fine. Anyway, you use the perm rods the same as rollers, at least that's what I do.

You're in Valley Village? That's right down the street from me!

Ok, so I did my first braidout last night. Well really, this was my second one, but who is counting. I bought perm rods so that the ends of my hair wouldn't be straight...I scrapped that idea shortly after because I couldn't figure out how to put them on for the life of me. :lachen:

I was inspired by all of the beautiful braidouts I have seen on this forum! I still have a loooonng way to go though, as I would like more length, and fullness, and of course, those crazy ends to be curly. The pictures were taken shortly after, but BEFORE finger styling, and separating. Next time I will use rollers instead of trying to figure out those rods...lol

351062418.jpg

351062425.jpg

351062423.jpg

351062426.jpg

GORGEOUS mama!!!! you look great! Nice glasses....too:yep:

Oh. My. Gosh. Beautiful!!!! I'm transitioning... would you be my tutor? :pray:

What products did you use and how will you sleep at night and keep them fresh?

Very Nice :)
BTW, U are the reason why I'm thinking about spending $300 on some EP hair for my bday...ur installs always look soooo nice :yep:! I still can't believe I'm considering spending all that money on sum hair tho...it's all ur fault!!!

Very Nice :)
BTW, U are the reason why I'm thinking about spending $300 on some EP hair for my bday...ur installs always look soooo nice :yep:! I still can't believe I'm considering spending all that money on sum hair tho...it's all ur fault!!!

Install?????????:look: Gabanna Girl, I thought this was your hair.......:perplexed

WOW! This is beautiful! You have inspired me to at least try it again. I tried once last year and it was so uneven I pulled it up in a bun.

ETA~ The silk amino acids I added to my spritz...girl, words can't describe how my hair feels! You are one of my idols!

Last edited:
You and your braidout are gorgeous!! How many braids did you do? And what products? I want mine to look like this!!

Thank you very much! - I used KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo, followed up with ORS Replenishing PAK left on without a cap for about an hour. After that, I rinsed out with cold water, and followed it up with a Fenugreek, Maka, and Hibiscus rinse (I just added a heaping tablespoon of each amount with boiling water, let cool, strain through cheesecloth and pour over my head) - After this I used Apple Cider Vinegar, which makes my hair very manageable, I do this now after each poo because I have extremely hard water.

After the rinsing, I spray some moisturizer on (Sodium Lactate, Distilled Water, Aloe Vera, added some Lecithin, and some Panthenol) I used this as a detangler, and leave in. I made about 25 plaits. After braiding, I used a little bit of bhringraj, and camellia oil, and went over each braid with my hands, working the oils in....tied a scarf on my head, went to sleep, and that was it.

Really really cute. And your ends look fine. Anyway, you use the perm rods the same as rollers, at least that's what I do.

You're in Valley Village? That's right down the street from me!

WHAT!!! Small WORLD!!! HA HA HA!! Thank you! I will try the perm rods, next time.

WOW! This is beautiful! You have inspired me to at least try it again. I tried once last year and it was so uneven I pulled it up in a bun.

ETA~ The silk amino acids I added to my spritz...girl, words can't describe how my hair feels! You are one of my idols!

Thank you :) If I could get my hair like yours, I wouldn't even attempt a braidout!!!! If you do try, pleeeaaase post pics!!! :grin: I would love to see it!

Thank you very much! - I used KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo, followed up with ORS Replenishing PAK left on without a cap for about an hour. After that, I rinsed out with cold water, and followed it up with a Fenugreek, Maka, and Hibiscus rinse (I just added a heaping tablespoon of each amount with boiling water, let cool, strain through cheesecloth and pour over my head) - After this I used Apple Cider Vinegar, which makes my hair very manageable, I do this now after each poo because I have extremely hard water.

After the rinsing, I spray some moisturizer on (Sodium Lactate, Distilled Water, Aloe Vera, added some Lecithin, and some Panthenol) I used this as a detangler, and leave in. I made about 25 plaits. After braiding, I used a little bit of bhringraj, and camellia oil, and went over each braid with my hands, working the oils in....tied a scarf on my head, went to sleep, and that was it.

I'm definitely going to be trying this ! i'm seriously in awe of your hair ! how often do you straigten it? and with what? sorry if i'm asking so many questions ! and you live in valley village? small world ! i'm in bakersfield but moving to the valley for school soon (csun). do you know of any good stylists out there? or are you a total DIY girl?

Oh. My. Gosh. Beautiful!!!! I'm transitioning... would you be my tutor? :pray:

What products did you use and how will you sleep at night and keep them fresh?

Thank you!! Girl I am looking for a tutor too...LOL I was winging it for real..lol

I used a spritz, and that was pretty much all I used to style with. The spritz was:

Aloe Vera Juice
Sodium Lactate
Distilled Water
Lecithin
Panthenol

My hair was already soft from the rinse (Maka, Fenugreek and Hibiscus) and I followed up with another rinse of Apple Cider Vinegar, which seems to work wonders.

I haven't went to sleep yet as this is day one...lol I am going to put on a bonnet and hope for the best! :lachen:

I'm definitely going to be trying this ! i'm seriously in awe of your hair ! how often do you straigten it? and with what? sorry if i'm asking so many questions ! and you live in valley village? small world ! i'm in bakersfield but moving to the valley for school soon (csun). do you know of any good stylists out there? or are you a total DIY girl?

I go to CSUN!!!!! Welcome!!!!!

Back