My First Co-Wash... HELP!

FriscoGirl

Hello Ladies,

I will do my Co-Wash EVER, tonight. I could actually do a full wash and DC tonight, but I want to wait until Sunday (hair wash day!).... so I'm reaching out to you all for advice and suggestions.

I will co-wash with VO5 conditioner w/oil and sit under the dryer for 20 min, then rinse out, roller set, wrap and ???... am I missing anything?

Thanks ladies

HeavenlySkies

I didn't know you had to do ALL of that cowashing = just washing your hair as you would with shampoo except with no shampoo just conditioner.

55brneye

OMG!! I can relate being new to the forum a lot of abbreviated words. I had some what of an ideal that co wash might have been conditioner wash.. But wasn’t sure.
I also would like to know the benefits of a co wash and how often should u do it? Is there anything that you should be adding to the conditioner before you co wash? I just received my MT (mega-tek) and OVC (ovation cell therapy). I am still not a 100% how to use them yet I have to keep reading and printing to understand everything..

lexi84

OMG!! I can relate being new to the forum a lot of abbreviated words. I had some what of an ideal that co wash might have been conditioner wash.. But wasn’t sure.
I also would like to know the benefits of a co wash and how often should u do it? Is there anything that you should be adding to the conditioner before you co wash? I just received my MT (mega-tek) and OVC (ovation cell therapy). I am still not a 100% how to use them yet I have to keep reading and printing to understand everything..

OP: First, welcome! Second, co-washing doesnt call for all of what you said. All you really do is, like the poster above stated, use a cheapie conditioner in place of your shampoo. What you described above sounds more like a deep conditioning session. :yep:

55brneye: First, welcome! Second, I dont use MT or OCT, but I can help you with understand the benefits and purpose of co-washing. In my opinion co-washing is simply to give your hair a quick shot of moisture without going through the whole shampooing and DCing process. However, its not designed to be used in place of your weekly (or more often if you choose) DCing sessions. I, for example, do it after working out and I want to rinse the sweat off. Or another example is sometimes I do it when my hair is feeling dry, but I just shampooed it the day before so I dont want to shampoo it again.

HTH!

ebonimama

OP: First, welcome! Second, co-washing doesnt call for all of what you said. All you really do is, like the poster above stated, use a cheapie conditioner in place of your shampoo. What you described above sounds more like a deep conditioning session. :yep:

55brneye: First, welcome! Second, I dont use MT or OCT, but I can help you with understand the benefits and purpose of co-washing. In my opinion co-washing is simply to give your hair a quick shot of moisture without going through the whole shampooing and DCing process. However, its not designed to be used in place of your weekly (or more often if you choose) DCing sessions. I, for example, do it after working out and I want to rinse the sweat off. Or another example is sometimes I do it when my hair is feeling dry, but I just shampooed it the day before so I dont want to shampoo it again.

HTH!

co washing keeps my hair moisturized. Shampoo can be harsh or stripping depending on which one you use. I have found it more moisturizing to use my conditioner to wash with. My hair is just as clean. I use my expensive condtioners (joico) to co-wash, but a lot of members use a cheapie. If I co-wash with con (creme of nature), I add a little glycerine to it. I use a mild clarifying shampoo once a month to remove build up but it co-washing all the way for me the other times.

hurricane

When I did my first co-wash, I would saturate my hair in water then put the conditioner in my hands and massage my scalp and let the condish run down the hair shaft. I always pre-pooed with an oil ( coconut oil, olive oil, amla oil, brahmi oil the oil of your choice ) then co-wash.

Now I have changed my routine because I really was not benefitting from it. Some do, some don't. Now I use nexuss humectress and mix in some brahmi powder ( I do ayurveda ) put on on my pre-pooed hair and let it sit for at least 2 hours, rinse out and follow up with Cantu shea butter leave in and seal with coconut oil. Good Luck.

MagnoliaBelle

Well I don't know if I will be doing the cowash right now. I am natural with a blown dry and flat ironed straight hair (done by stylist only every 2 weeks). However, I received my MTG and MT this week and have applied them to my scalp along with the MN nightly. I am also applying the MN in the morning as I undo my wrapped hair.

The abbreviations that I am really having trouble with concern the lengths of the hair. I know that BLS is bra strength length and that MBL is mid back length and APL is arm pit length. However, I have no idea what TWA is and there's another that I can't even think of now.. Anyhow, good luck with your hair dreams. I hope to learn how to post my length picture under my username soon.

FriscoGirl

Thank you ladies for the clarification and feedback. :ohwell: It almost sounds like I should not co-wash, since I will be styling my hair as usual and not wearing a protective style...

hurricane

Thank you ladies for the clarification and feedback. :ohwell: It almost sounds like I should not co-wash, since I will be styling my hair as usual and not wearing a protective style...
____________________________________________________________-

Do a search on growing hair without protective styling. That may help you. I am an advocate for protective styling because it keeps my ends from drying and splitting, which promotes growth. Also there are ladies here who co-wash and manage to do a wet bun. I dunno. To hard for me. Also if you are going to where a ponytail, members here suggests using cut up stockings to prevent breakage.

afrorican

I believe TWA is teenie weenie afro?? But I'm a reformed lurker :look:turned into newbie.. :grin:so i may not be correct.

MrJohnsonsRib

Well I don't know if I will be doing the cowash right now. I am natural with a blown dry and flat ironed straight hair (done by stylist only every 2 weeks). However, I received my MTG and MT this week and have applied them to my scalp along with the MN nightly. I am also applying the MN in the morning as I undo my wrapped hair.

The abbreviations that I am really having trouble with concern the lengths of the hair. I know that BLS is bra strength length and that MBL is mid back length and APL is arm pit length. However, I have no idea what TWA is and there's another that I can't even think of now.. Anyhow, good luck with your hair dreams. I hope to learn how to post my length picture under my username soon.

TWA-Teeny Weeny Afro,lol! and you should go to the HAIR CARE TIPS AND PRODUCT DISCUSSION Part of the forum and click on the "sticky" threads (commonly used/searched threads that stick to the top for easy finding0 and there are a couple that are great for newbies!! :yep: It can answer a lot of your questions and create hundreds more too. For example there is a list of commonly used acronyms on there that would be good to learn. HTH!