My hair and daily styling

pureebony

Now here is the dilemma I have natural hair that is very densely coiled and prone to dryness and without being careful can turn into a tangled mess leading to knots and splits.

I want to be natural point blank, but my issue is daily styling, im pretty much stuck, here is the reason:

My hair reaches my coler when stretched, but I dont want to use a flat iron or blow dryer due to eat damage, so after shrinkage I have very little hair to work with so the only style I can do is a doughnut bun with a sock.

Now for other reason I cant use fake hair, but I love the illusion of long hair that the doughnut bun gives and no one needs to know the actual length of your hair. But that is the only style I can do right now.

So what Im asking for are new styles where I have the illusion of length without using fake hair? I would love any ideas or suggestions- thanks ladies! xx

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Is your hair long enough to bun? Sorry I am not much help.:nono: Why not braid or twist up your hair? At least you won't have to style it for a week.:yep:

Nonie

What about cornrows and a phony puff? Or French braids with your ends tucked under and if you make them meet, you can probably find a braided bun you can add as an accessory making it look as if your hair is coiled into the bun.

If you were to twist it up as NatrlChallenge suggested, you could style the twists in protective styles and have a different look. I chuckle every time I wore my twists differently, coworkers would be like "Ooh, you got your hair done!" or "You changed your hair!" which I find so funny because it's no different from them letting their hair down and then putting it up in a bun or pony tail. No one considers that "changing you hair", and that's basically all I do to my twists: wear them differently.

pureebony

thanks ladies but the reason why this is so difficult is cuz i cant use fake hair at the mo of any sort so im stuck the french bradi sounds good....

Nonie

thanks ladies but the reason why this is so difficult is cuz i cant use fake hair at the mo of any sort so im stuck the french bradi sounds good....

You don't need fake hair to do cornrows. My hair was short when I did this do:

That was my own hair's puff in the back and I cornrowed w/o any additional hair.

Then in the pic below my hair was longer but I used a phony puff:

Oh...wait, I just now understood what you mean about not wanting to use fake hair (I think). You mean not even a phony puff?

MAMATO

First stay away from cornrows or braids. One of my sisters with coarse hair who is natural pratically lost of all her edges with them. I would recommend twists, wash'n'go, and probably twist-out from time to time. It is not a big deal if your ends are exposed from the moment you moisturize them regularly. I am relaxed but I encouraged two of my sisters to go natural and that is what they have been doing so far with great success... I share a lot of the knowledge I learn here on natural hair with them since they are not members...They are very pleased with their progress so far and let me tell you that one them has very, very coarse hair.

dlove

Same texture, exact same problem. I tried roller setting 4ab hair and always comes out a frizzy poofy mess. I tried almost everyone regimen including wrapping my hair with saran wrap.

Solution: Bantu Knot outs. Go to youtube and look up "crown of his glory" bantu knots. They come out great. If you dont want to re-fo/freshen the BK's daily, sleep with a bonnet and put your hair in a puff. You can style you BK outs like an inverted bob, wavy in the front but curly in the back, smooth/wavy in middle front with curls on the side - there are lots of possiblies.

Tips to please keep in mind:
1. Invest in a K- cutter for detangling after a wash
2. "My Honeychild" Honey hair creme is a must for defintion when making the BK's.
3. ONLY Use your fingers when styling BK's. using any type of comg or brush will result in some serious frizz.
4. I only moisturize and seal at night when freshening BK's. They come out too frizzy in the morning when misting water and sealing with my butter and oil concoction.
5. Invest in a Tancho stick for keeping your edges smooth.
6. Palm roll the twists instead of 2 strand twists. 2 strand twists look frizzy when separating.

Bantu knot outs have kept me from relaxing my hair again. For real!

HTH

Last edited:

MAMATO

Same texture, exact same problem. I tried roller setting 4ab hair and always comes out a frizzy poofy mess. I tried almost everyone regimen including wrapping my hair with saran wrap.

Solution: Bantu Knot outs. Go to youtube and look up "crown of his glory" bantu knots. They come out great. If you dont want to re-fo/freshen the BK's daily, sleep with a bonnet and put your hair in a puff. You can style you BK outs like an inverted bob, wavy in the front but curly in the back, smooth/wavy in middle front with curls on the side - there are lots of possiblies.

2. "My Honeychild" Honey hair creme is a must for defintion when making the BK's.
3. ONLY Use your fingers when styling BK's. using any type of comg or brush will result in some serious frizz.
4. I only moisturize and seal at night when freshening BK's. They come out too frizzy in the morning when misting water and sealing with my butter and oil concoction.
6. Palm roll the twists instead of 2 strand twists. 2 strand twists look frizzy when separating.

HTH

Great recommendations... I am taking notes:yep:

AtlantaJJ

HTH

I want to check this out myself :yep:

pureebony

wow thanks so much for this!!! im going to try it out, great advice I have noticed my hair does not take much to get straight. thanks!!!