My hair can never hold a curl! What gives??

I'm transitioning now and I try to do flat twist outs, cornrow outs, and bantu knot outs and it always looks a hot mess. It just looks bad. I tried to do a bantu knot out once and somebody asked me if I was leaving this house with my hair that way

The products I use are
Any shampoo on hand
Redken Real Control Mask
Water mixed with S curl
Shea Moisture Curling Souffle Gel

If I used bantu knots I make about 15-20 sections?
If I do cornrows I will use small mesh rollers at the ends

I even tried to do twists (about 15-20 sections) and used rollers at the end

So what gives?

naturalmanenyc

I'm guessing it's the Curling Souffle Gel. I've found that it doesn't have enough hold for anything beyond smoothing edges.

Ms Lala

Are your ends still relaxed. If so you will need something with better hold and it may be good to sit under the dryer to help styles set. This is what I did. Dry a good setting lotion or gel. I like IC fantasia gel and Giovanni strong hold gel. I also noticed you use S curl; that makes my hair almost too soft to where it won't hold any styles. I never really liked it, left my hair feeling mushy and made it shed alot.

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

intergalacticartist

you need a gel with some hold also i see products with glycerin. i suggest using a leave-in with a ltion consistency follwoed by gel here are my recs:

Leave-ins: komaza coconut curl lotion, komaza shea butter lotion, darcys botanicals leave-in, hydroquench systems greaseless moisture, oyin hair dew

gels: fantasia ic gel with sparklelites or afroveda whipped gelly

also when you take the braids/twist/knots down coat your hands with oil to combat frizzies and keep definition

nix the scurl when doing these type of styles

faithVA

In addition to changing your gel, you might want to reconsider the SCurl for out styles. As soon as the air hits your hair I imagine your hair just puffs up. SCurl is wonderful but the glycerin and combination of other ingredients will make your hair so soft that it can't hold anything. You may be able to find a gel to counter it but if not you might want to try a different leave-in before the gel.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
The ingredients lists of Miss Jessie's products concern me given the prices. But if money is no object or you like the smell... Have at them.
You'd probably get very similar results using a simple setting lotion &/or a bit of ecostyler and save a bit of $$$ in the process.

via LHCF App

darlingdiva

Great suggestions in this thread. Also, if you do hanging twists, try curling the twists with perm rods or flexi rods.

NIN4eva

For me the culprit would be the S-curl. Glycerin makes my hair heavy (good), but mushy and unmanageable (bad). I honestly have no personal experience with your other 2 products, so I don't want to speak on those.

DominicanBrazilian82

My hair doesn't hold either... Might want to look at your hair. They say fined haired individuals have difficulty holding curls (as I believe I am). Might want to jump into the Fine Hair thread and see what those ladies are doing to keep their curls.

I have some Ecostyler already

I'm actually not fine haired, I have very thick strands

Also, can someone recommend a leave-in I can find at the store and don't have to order? Like something I can get at the drugstore or at Target

ChristmasCarol

intergalacticartist

I also have thick strands and can't hold a curl :(
It's common with coarse hair, which is why many Asians have a tough time rocking curls.

In it's natural state, Bantu knots, twists, etc. do nothing but stretch my hair out to loose waves. After a few mintutes it loses all definition and looks like a blowout.

When straightened, I have to wear rollers overnight if I want curls. Even then, they only last 3-4 hours, max. I haven't found any products or hairsprays that will keep my hair curly. The problem gets worse as my hair gets longer, too.

Sorry I can't help, but I'm looking forward to more suggestions.

Well damn, what am I gonna do when I go natural then :ohwell:

The most beautiful styles I've been seeing have been bantu knots and twistouts. I was looking forward to those :perplexed

OK so I used NTM Shampoo and DC'ed with Joico moisture recovery treatment balm. Then I used ORS hair lotion in the bottle as a leave in and made bantu knots with Eco Styler gel.

My hair seems less huge then it did before and the curl does seem to be holding up a little better.

Thanks guys