My hair HAS to be straight or it breaks!?

LawyerBarbie07

Hi all....I'm a BSL relaxed (almost 3/4's textlaxed) head and I usually wear my hair in weaves or other protective styles...but I've been trying lately however(mostly because I'm too lazy to cornrow my hair to weave it) to wear my hair out of weaves and such.

I've been trying to wash once or twice a week and moisturize, seal and airdry (because with the weaves I only use heat once every 7 weeks so I don't want to flat iron it or blowdry).

But everytime I air dry and just put it in a bun or braids I get SO so many short broken hairs. Even when I tried to do my carusos on air-dried hair without straightening it and I almost had a mild coronary at all the breakage.

The only time I dont see my hair mangled is when I flat iron and wrap it. Am I doing something wrong with the airdrying? Am I the only one who can't? How do you air dry and keep your hair healthy?

Thanks!!

I have the same problem. I can't air-dry to save my life! So I blow-dry and flat-iron my hair. I hope someone can give us both some good advice.:grin:

LawyerBarbie07

Isn't it frustrating?! I'm glad I'm not the only one..lol. I was seriously getting irked and it makes me sad to annihilate my newly acquired hair with heat!

I may just re-weave it

lboogie2679

Hi Ladies! I finally learned how to airdry my hair. I apply a creamy leavin and then seal with WGO. I then either put my hair in 1 or 2 twists. My hair takes about 12 hours to dry, but it dries with no frizz or breakage. I am so glad that I was able to start airdrying bc I was a slave to the blowdryer. Everytime I blowdried I saw all the breakage on the floor but I felt like I had no choice.:ohwell: HTH

bauderlady

This happens to me too....so I know what you mean! I can air dry better if I apply a straightening cream of some sort before I attempt to airdry. I can even use my carusso's after it dries w/o breakage. Otherwise I have to air dry and then flat iron to keep hair on my head:nono:

Isis

Hi all....I'm a BSL relaxed (almost 3/4's textlaxed) head and I usually wear my hair in weaves or other protective styles...but I've been trying lately however(mostly because I'm too lazy to cornrow my hair to weave it) to wear my hair out of weaves and such.

I've been trying to wash once or twice a week and moisturize, seal and airdry (because with the weaves I only use heat once every 7 weeks so I don't want to flat iron it or blowdry).

But everytime I air dry and just put it in a bun or braids I get SO so many short broken hairs. Even when I tried to do my carusos on air-dried hair without straightening it and I almost had a mild coronary at all the breakage.

The only time I dont see my hair mangled is when I flat iron and wrap it. Am I doing something wrong with the airdrying? Am I the only one who can't? How do you air dry and keep your hair healthy?

Thanks!!
I don't just airdry my hair and then style it--I airdry my hair in rollersets to straighten and smooth the hair and ends out first, then I style it into whatever style I want (it almost looks as if I blowdried and flat-ironed it), including wearing my hair down. Otherwise the cuticles would be raised, resulting in possible breakage and frizziness.

Also, I don't comb my hair after airdrying in a rollerset. I just use my hands to style until the next wash day. :)

LawyerBarbie07

Those are all great ideas! I hadn't even considered the fact that maybe it was because my cuticles were open from the washing. I'm also going to try the straightening cream..that makes a ton of sense.

honeybadgirl

what kind of straightening cream? i have aveda hang straight.
i have the same problem too. air drying is not for me. the 2 ponytail twist sounds like it may do the trick though:grin:

tenjoy

i appy lacio lacio, seal with kemi oil or olive oil, then air dry in 2 plait braids or 2 twists. This gets it straight but a little mavy from the braids. But I can imagine (even though i dont) easily flat ironing, and get it stright. Im a 4/a/b I think, aint nothing wet and go about my hair. I am relaxed, but always underprocessed cause I dont do it right (I like it that way though).

BTW, It take about 12 hrs for me to dy also.

hothair

Ladies I feel you on this... I think airdrying (even relaxed hair) is best done in large plaits, bantu knots ponytails or twists after sealing wet damp hair with an oil, I too keep combing to a minimum with good results :)

ETA: Ummm, Isis when we getting an update :grin:

Last edited:

MissLawyerLady

I don't airdry well either and I'm relaxed. My hair gets all weird if I try to airdry natural.:perplexed I usually gently stretch my hair in small sections and blow dry (w/out comb attachment) by waiving blow dryer up and down my hair shaft and only partially drying my ends. But if I do airdry I have to use a good amount of leave in (Lacio Lacio works well) and some sort of something (moisturzier sealed w/oil or oil) in order not to be disappointed.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Those are all great ideas! I hadn't even considered the fact that maybe it was because my cuticles were open from the washing. I'm also going to try the straightening cream..that makes a ton of sense.

You can close your cuticles immediately if you rinse with cold water.

Katt73

I don't airdry well either and I'm relaxed. My hair gets all weird if I try to airdry natural.:perplexed I usually gently stretch my hair in small sections and blow dry (w/out comb attachment) by waiving blow dryer up and down my hair shaft and only partially drying my ends. But if I do airdry I have to use a good amount of leave in (Lacio Lacio works well) and some sort of something (moisturzier sealed w/oil or oil) in order not to be disappointed.

Definitely gonna try this tonight! I get broken ends when I airdry also. My airdried hair gets snagged by the comb.

LadyZ

Air drying is a no no for my 4b relaxed hair:nono:... I tried it several ways and my hair is still recovering from it:wallbash:... I used everything I could... My hair could not take it anymore... I guess I am a slave to roller setting... I won't be trying it again anytime soon:nono: