What products seal the cuticle when drying? My texlax/natural hair is breaking

DKO

What products can I use to seal the cuticle on the texlax and natural portion of my hair when I'm airdrying? So far, I lose a lot of hair and my natural/texlax hair feels rough/dry when I airdry then flat iron. I'm newly texlaxed with a little portion in the back natural and the rest is relaxed. In order for me not to have breakage and for all textures to feel the same I have to blowdry and use the flat iron. I use a leave-in condish, Kera Care blowdry lotion and silken seal on wet hair, blowdry and then flat iron. My hair will stay silky and smooth until I wash it. I've tried doing the wash, condition, leave-in condish, a little setting lotion, comb out and then tie a silk scarf on my hair to airdry overnight. But the natural/texlax portion of my hair is dry/rough. I even add a little oil but it doesn't help. The comb won't glide through my hair like it does when I blowdry then flat iron. What can I do? When I try adding a little oil it makes my hair oily. Usually when I blowdry I don't have to add any oil and my hair is silky and bouncy. HELP?

honeybearmommy32

ur regimen sounds norm.

are u experimenting w/any new products? Could u be using a bad relaxer, an old relaxr, a drying relaxer?
I use to get that w/Motions Regular Relaxers, which meant i was always having to big chop and start all over again and again.

i've recently found success w/Fermodyl leave-ins 619 for course curly hair, 233 for double processed hair (relaxed & perm dye in my case), and Special for Color Treated & Bleached hair.

Special adds a lot of moisture w/out weighing your hair down. It feels silky and shiny but still blows in the wind :grin:

SEMO

My first recommendation would have been a pure oil like, coconut or jojoba oil, but you say oils don't work that well for you. The next thing I would recommend would be a product with silicone in it. One that comes to mind is Argan oil (from Sally's).

I've used that a few times to seal moisture into the ends of my hair and it seemed to work fairly well (though using oil is my favorite), plus it smells amazing.

Last edited:

Nonie

I don't know how well you get along with cones/serums but when I was relaxed, applying John Frieda serum to my hair while damp would make my hair dry shiny and smooth. If I was applying heat, it also gave the smoothest finish.

Also adding an ACV rinse to the end of your wash helps lay your cuticles down. And then you can use a product to seal and complete your hair.

Thiends

Blow-drying and flat-ironing do not do a head of hair good. I think your methods, not your products, are what may need adjustment.

Minty

you would have to back up and detail what your wash reg. is.

That is a significant portion and you left it out. If I am correct you have three textures. Breakage is not coming from one aspect - blowdrying but way before this point.

My breakage did not end until I reexamined MY ENTIRE process - and the products I used (ingredient components I should say) at each step.

for example: the night before my shampoo I may pre-poo with oil or a another product I use which is heavy in ceramides. The next day I will DC with a protein or protein/moisture balanced product and shampoo using a no sulfate shampoo.

I ensure my hair is fully detangled before I shampoo and I frequently check for ssk. frequently!

I also went back to Redken's Anti-Snap.

List your steps.