My hair is breaking off!

Mercie

I am 5 months post relaxer. The ends of my hair are so frayed and I am noticing tiny peices of hair everywhere in my house.. I can tell that they are not shed hairs since they are short. When I washed my hair last weekend my hair dried very fast. I am not sure if it was because of the new conditioner I tried or, if my hair is so clogged up that it isn't as porus. The hair was a bit more stretchier than usual so I am suspecting that I might need a light protein treatment.

I read somewhere that you should only apply shampoo to the scalp because shampoo dries out the ends and length of your hair. I am now starting to second-guess that. I have been doing that for about a month or two now so maybe it is all starting to catch up to me now.

Here is my solution:

use a clairifyig shampoo.
Light protein treatment.
Very moisturizing deep conditioning treatment.

-get rid of my hair products that have cones
-start using a moisturizer that has protien in between washes.

Am I on the right track with my resolutions?

Last edited:

Desarae

I think you have a good plan. I can't help too much because my hair is breaking too, i've tried everything and I still don't know what to do...

chebaby

i agree that you should clarify and do a medium protein treat. also step up your daily moisture. when i was relaxed, before i found this board, my hair was always past sl but i always had tiny ends all over the place because i had no idea about moisturizing.

30something

For me I can't do the shampoo only on the scalp thing. I just end up getting too much build up on my strands, and then i would need to clarify because I would have breakage, I use a real gentle shampoo.

Chi keratin mist is a great protein leave in :yep:

Last edited:

nymane

I might be in the minority but if my hair needs protein, light protein treatments don't do anything for my strands...I use Aphogee 2-step when needed (every 6-8 weeks)

I'm also 5 months post relaxer with virtually no breakage; I DC (moisture) 1x weekly, co-wash 1-2x a week, and air dry in braids.

supermodelsonya

I might be in the minority but if my hair needs protein, light protein treatments don't do anything for my strands...I use Aphogee 2-step when needed (every 6-8 weeks)

I'm also 5 months post relaxer with virtually no breakage; I DC (moisture) 1x weekly, co-wash 1-2x a week, and air dry in braids.

YOu're not in the minority because when my hair is breaking, I go with the hard core stuff. A lot of conditioners already have light protein in them anyway. IF your hair is stretchy, it's too much moisture.

IMO a light protein may not be enough. Too much moisture cost me APL last year.

Bettina

You are on your way to recovery...you do have a good plan.

I would be careful in detangling your hair and also make sure the miosture/protein balance is in check ---lastly make sure your cuticles are sealed by checking the porosity I hope you find the answer to your issue soon

teacherjess

For me I can't do the shampoo only on the scalp thing. I just end up getting too much build up on my strands, and then i would need to clarify because I would have breakage, I use a real gentle shampoo.

Chi keratin mist is a great protein leave in :yep:

EXACTLY. After one week of trying this, I had bad breakage and I was confused because I thought I was doing a good thing. My hair broke off all over the place and looked dull and lackluster:wallbash:. I am back on track with what I've always done~ apply shampoo straight from the bottle mostly on the scalp and massage it in (concentrate on scalp), but make sure the suds get on the hair shaft and ends real good, too. My head thanks me for it. :yep:

Yen Oak

I agree with the recommendations for Aphogee and Porosity Control. Also, try Motions CPR.

Another thing...even though I'm sans relaxer now, stretching for long periods of time isn't for everyone. You could end up doing more harm than good in the long run. I'm not sure if you're transitioning or just stretching, but perhaps you should consider relaxing now.

la mosca

I agree with the recommendations for Aphogee and Porosity Control. Also, try Motions CPR.

Another thing...even though I'm sans relaxer now, stretching for long periods of time isn't for everyone. You could end up doing more harm than good in the long run. I'm not sure if you're transitioning or just stretching, but perhaps you should consider relaxing now.

I agree with this. Also, be super-careful with how you manipulate your hair, do a heavy protein treatment, and follow with a really rich, moisturizing deep conditioner. Deep conditioning with steam would be even better.

Have you considered ceramides? They are great for keeping hair supple and strong. My hair loves Matrix Biolage Cera-Repair.

Finally, are you noticing demarcation breakage or just breakage at the very ends? If it's demarcation breakage and you aren't transitioning, you may want to consider relaxing soon.

ETA: Have you tried Nairobi Humecta-Sil? That conditioner is like magic for my hair. Maybe it will help.

Last edited:

Mercie

Thank you for the product suggestions, I will check them out.

I was planning on getting a relaxer this weekend but, I want to get my hair back on track first.

Chevelure618

You didn't say if your are transitioning, but I'd go get a relaxer right about now.